NBC Sports Edge Forums

Roster Eval + Trade Ideas? WHIR!

In a 12-team ESPN H2H categories dynasty league, with categories including the standard 5x5 plus BB/OBP/SLG & QS/K-per-9/HLD, my team is as follows:

Hitters

C (start 2): Wellington Castillo, Lucroy

1B: Abreu

2B: Odor

SS: Trea Turner

3B: Eugenio Suarez

OF: Harper, Lorenzo Cain, Domingo Santana, Dexter Fowler, Bradley Jr.

Util: Beltre (3B), Trea Turner (SS)

Bench: Conforto (OF), Soler (OF), Caleb Joseph (C), Ohtani (DH/SP)

Pitchers

SP: Kluber, Severino, Verlander, Greinke, Ohtani (SP/DH), Luis Castillo, Jon Gray, Wacha, Maeda

RP: Bedrosian, Minter, Robertson, Carl Edwards Jr, Hader

Minor Leaguers

C: Chance Sisco

2B: Travis Demeritte

SS: Gleyber Torres, Andres Gimenez

OF: Lewis Brinson, Austin Hays

P: Brent Honeywell, Alex Reyes, Sandy Alcantara, Corbin Burnes, Albert Abreu

As you can see, I'm built pretty closely toward winning now, with my prospects mostly ready to contribute this season and/or next. I feel like I have excellent depth in pitching, with top-flight guys like Reyes and Honeywell (RIP TMJ) contributing soon, Corbins Burnes and Alcantara possibly pitching this season, and Abreu bringing up the rear (giggity).

My weakness feels like it lies in my OF, somewhat at C, and depth-wise at 1B and 2B (in case of injuries). I've toyed with the idea of moving Ohtani, Sisco, Alcantara, maybe other prospects, to shore up my major league squad while keeping the relative youth within it that I currently have.

I've had some trade scenarios arise, most recently with being offered Buxton/Paxton for Ohtani/Alex Reyes/Bradley Jr. I like both Buxton and Paxton, but both have possible low floors and come with risks. I'm not sure I trust Ohtani 100% to produce as a pitcher this season (and certainly not as a big bat so soon), so I would like to move him while he has value.

Is this the sort of deal worth making, or should I aim higher? What suggestions might you recommend as far as targets, roster makeup, etc.?

Looking at that deal you mentioned, I really like the 2 guys you are getting. I do agree about their floor, but as a P Paxton is better than Ohtani and Buxton his a higher upside than Bradley. 

I would shop Ohtani around and see what you can get. I think if you could take out Reyes from that deal I'd do it

The owner of Ozzie Albies is poking around about Ohtani and seems to have made him available - though it'd take more than Albies to pry Ohtani away from me!

51 minutes ago, am5465 said:

In a 12-team ESPN H2H categories dynasty league, with categories including the standard 5x5 plus BB/OBP/SLG & QS/K-per-9/HLD, my team is as follows:

Hitters

C (start 2): Wellington Castillo, Lucroy

1B: Abreu

2B: Odor

SS: Trea Turner

3B: Eugenio Suarez

OF: Harper, Lorenzo Cain, Domingo Santana, Dexter Fowler, Bradley Jr.

Util: Beltre (3B), Trea Turner (SS)

Bench: Conforto (OF), Soler (OF), Caleb Joseph (C), Ohtani (DH/SP)

Pitchers

SP: Kluber, Severino, Verlander, Greinke, Ohtani (SP/DH), Luis Castillo, Jon Gray, Wacha, Maeda

RP: Bedrosian, Minter, Robertson, Carl Edwards Jr, Hader

Minor Leaguers

C: Chance Sisco

2B: Travis Demeritte

SS: Gleyber Torres, Andres Gimenez

OF: Lewis Brinson, Austin Hays

P: Brent Honeywell, Alex Reyes, Sandy Alcantara, Corbin Burnes, Albert Abreu

As you can see, I'm built pretty closely toward winning now, with my prospects mostly ready to contribute this season and/or next. I feel like I have excellent depth in pitching, with top-flight guys like Reyes and Honeywell (RIP TMJ) contributing soon, Corbins Burnes and Alcantara possibly pitching this season, and Abreu bringing up the rear (giggity).

My weakness feels like it lies in my OF, somewhat at C, and depth-wise at 1B and 2B (in case of injuries). I've toyed with the idea of moving Ohtani, Sisco, Alcantara, maybe other prospects, to shore up my major league squad while keeping the relative youth within it that I currently have.

I've had some trade scenarios arise, most recently with being offered Buxton/Paxton for Ohtani/Alex Reyes/Bradley Jr. I like both Buxton and Paxton, but both have possible low floors and come with risks. I'm not sure I trust Ohtani 100% to produce as a pitcher this season (and certainly not as a big bat so soon), so I would like to move him while he has value.

Is this the sort of deal worth making, or should I aim higher? What suggestions might you recommend as far as targets, roster makeup, etc.?

If I were you, with your team, I certainly would be very interested in the Buxton/Paxton deal - You're buying Buxton at a time where his value might be SIGNIFICANTLY more in the next two months or so.  There's a possibility in the next two plus months you'd be paying top 15-type value for Buxton.  This deal allow you to get him on the cheap, and you get Paxton who has a chance to be a very good SP this year.

Reyes is coming off of TJ, you have no clue how good Ohtani might be (and how they're going to use him).