NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

9 minutes ago, KrispySteve423 said:

I may be wrong, but I want to say it's the first HR of its kind in the Statcast era. 

Gee, yuh think? :D

13 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

• Like 1
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

11 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

I was at the game also.  It was a nice HR, but just barely fair down the LF line.  He turned on the pitch nicely and hit a huge moonshot, but it can't compare with the time I saw McGwire hit one halfway up the second deck at RFK stadium the first year the Nationals moved in from Montreal.  I think there were no fans within 100 feet of where it landed, so it took a while for someone to run over there and pick it up.

No offense intended to Alonso -- it was a serious HR -- but 415 feet isn't that spectacular.. The launch angle and height made it look more impressive.

I was more impressed with Luis Basabe turning on a 102 MPH fastball from Hunter Greene and depositing it in the seats to straight-away CF.

I have to agree with oswald etal. 

Hitting a HR off 100+MPH heat doesn't happen often either and Besabe's left at 105.

I should have specified that it was the most impressive I have seen in-person. I wasn't in the stadium for most of Big Mac's juice-infused bombs, certainly none that stood out the way Alonso's did for the shear height and flight time.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, davidgoretiz said:

https://www.milb.com/milb/news/new-york-mets-prospect-peter-alonso-homers-on-three-hit-night/c-286654670

5 hits past two games, with 2 HR. Breaking out of AAA slump? 

I feel like in due time he will be destroying the PCL. Has struck out a bit more than before, but it's still not that large a sample size. His BABIP is really low and his ISO is near 300.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

I feel like in due time he will be destroying the PCL. Has struck out a bit more than before, but it's still not that large a sample size. His BABIP is really low and his ISO is near 300.

Looks like he's been pulling the ball a little more in AAA, a bit higher GB rate. 

But I agree, he should be able to figure this league out. As a prospect, he has a borderline elite power skill set. If he can maintain his BB improvements he could provide a high floor.

399 PA with a .404 OBP and 23/78 overall this season. 

Feels kind of like a Hoskins type storyline here. 

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

In good news Alonso is still the AAA 1Baseman with Dom Smith playing the OF for Vegas. I would love to see the Mets trade off some scrubs and let Alonso finally get some MLB experience.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Gryfter said:

You would think since they're out of it that they'd start seeing what they have in their prospects....but no.

Nah, it's the Mets.  I think a little kid could run the team about as well as they do.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Nah, it's the Mets.  I think a little kid could run the team about as well as they do.

Exactly...its the Mets, the owners. They're like that 1 owner in fantasy leagues, the one who never wins, always does weird stuff but keeps playing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Alonso has spent less than two months at AAA and has a 29% strikeout rate and 45.3% groundball rate. He has huge power but has plenty to work on at that level. Still moving through the minors at a faster clip than everybody's favorite comp Rhys Hoskins did. I don't see the rush.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Alonso has spent less than two months at AAA and has a 29% strikeout rate and 45.3% groundball rate. He has huge power but has plenty to work on at that level. Still moving through the minors at a faster clip than everybody's favorite comp Rhys Hoskins did. I don't see the rush.

Im fine with them holding him out until two weeks next year to gain another year, I'd be kind of upset if they waited until after super 2, but whatever.

That being said, they were worried at one point that there would be too much pressure calling him up earlier this year and don't want him or the media to feel he was their "savior". I feel like calling him up soon or September when they have no shot at playoffs is as low pressure as you're going to get in New York. 2 weeks or a month into next season the Mets will still have a shot at playoffs, so then we're right back where we started. If he hits well to close the season and they don't call him up, pretty much proves they don't mean what they say.

• Like 1

Per the RW blurb, Mets not likely to call up Alonso in September.  Why not you ask?  Well, it must be all the juicy other options the Mets have.  Why would they want to give their first baseman of the future a reward for his amazing season?  Why would they want to give him an opportunity to show case himself in advance of the off-season?  Why?  Because it's the Mets, that's why!

• Like 1