NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

1 hour ago, hailfire4 said:

The Mets apparently want to see more Wilmer, Dominic Smith, and Jay Bruce at 1st base. I completely agree I can hardly wait for the wins to start piling up now.

Agree, that quote should read  AGM remarked , 'we already have too many first base types (though none produce beyond a replacement level for us and most have had plenty of ABs to show us what they are capable for producing.  Instead our organization is one that likes to make sure we have a hand full of turds rather than giving our young kids a chance to show the organization if we can build around them and give our fan base some hope for the future.  Why do that?!' he exclaimed.

To be fair Todd Frazier, Wilmer, and Jay Bruce also went 0-9 so apparently there is more that needs to be seen. Remember the good old days when Adrian Gonzalez was the Mets future first baseman 3 months ago? David Wright may be back soon to claim his savior job...……..

• Haha 2

Congrats to Peter Alonso on a fantastic MiLB year and putting himself firmly on the fantasy radar for 2019.

Also, a BIG thank you for @brockpapersizer for starting this thread and being one of the first on the bandwagon all the way to the end of the year.  Glad I jumped on board early.  Thanks again.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Congrats to Peter Alonso on a fantastic MiLB year and putting himself firmly on the fantasy radar for 2019.

Also, a BIG thank you for @brockpapersizer for starting this thread and being one of the first on the bandwagon all the way to the end of the year.  Glad I jumped on board early.  Thanks again.

It's funny I started this thread saying he's could and has a slither of a chance of making his debut this year to it ending with it being BS he didnt make it up

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

The HR was crushed. Was watching more to see what his defense looked like at first base since supposedly that was what was holding him down. He made a great play on a ball down the line (saved a run), made a terrible stretch on a poor throw which shouldn't happen in the MLB (short hop that just ate him up), and otherwise made all the plays.

Overall he should be the Mets starting 1st baseman at some point next season. I was impressed enough that in a keep 26 with ten minor league slots he is going to be my first round pick if available. I need pitching but the power is to hard to turn down

8 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

I would be stunned if the second the 2 weeks for another year is up if he is not promoted and playing. I don't think the Mets would test their fan base by a June 15 callup to add the arbitration boon

I think the current GM instruction manual says to wait until about 3 and a half weeks into the season  so it doesn’t give the appearance that they are just waiting for that extra year of control. Page one of the manual says  to declare that Alonso will have the chance to compete for the job in spring training. Page two dictates that he gets sent to minor league camp around the 3rd week of spring training “because he still needs some development time” or “he needs to work on his defense.”

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

I think the current GM instruction manual says to wait until about 3 and a half weeks into the season  so it doesn’t give the appearance that they are just waiting for that extra year of control. Page one of the manual says  to declare that Alonso will have the chance to compete for the job in spring training. Page two dictates that he gets sent to minor league camp around the 3rd week of spring training “because he still needs some development time” or “he needs to work on his defense.”

Can I get a copy of this manual?  Need it for a friend (Mike Rizzo)

.pdf is fine.

Baseball America had referenced a couple scouts recent looks at him in the AFL suggesting that Alonso is really struggling against better pitching, especially on sliders and fastballs with inside movement.  The concern raised that he could not get around on them and just was not hitting the slider.  Also, another scout commented that he is 20 on the 20-80 scale on his defense and has looked really bad.  Not what you want to hear.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/20/2018 at 3:04 PM, Brooklyn Dude said:

If scouts think he can't hit good pitching,  it seems like he destroys everything else.   Nice year for Mr. Alonso.

What's considered good pitching anyway?  MLB Pitching?  Well not many prospects can hit MLB pitching and when they can they aren't prospects for much longer.  It's kinda the whole point of "developing talent".

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Sure hope Cano is not dealt to the Mets.  Can't see how Cano lasts at 2B over the course of the contract and this is the Mets afterall, they sure know how to step in the way of development.

Unless they put Alonso in the trade. Highly unlikely but it would be nice to have him land somewhere he could DH.