NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Ecofolux said:

Soooo what are the 2019 plans for this guy?

The hope was that he would spend the minimum required time in the minors before being called up to play 1B for the season.  Now, the Mets are seemingly going for it.  Cano trade muddies the waters about the 2019 plans.  Ideally, they would trade him to an AL team, but right now it's really hard to say.  Plus, it's the Mets, so there's that too.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/11/2018 at 8:40 AM, BigPapi44 said:

The hope was that he would spend the minimum required time in the minors before being called up to play 1B for the season.  Now, the Mets are seemingly going for it.  Cano trade muddies the waters about the 2019 plans.  Ideally, they would trade him to an AL team, but right now it's really hard to say.  Plus, it's the Mets, so there's that too.

I don't know if cano muddied the waters for Alonso that much. This team needs some thump, and Cano can still play 2B. No reason you don't have Alonso as your 1b most of the year, in my opinion. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone concerned at the fact he has a hard time hitting sliders and will likely see a ton of breaking pitches in the bigs possibly not allowing him to tap into his full game power? Is he a good enough hitter to adjust to the breaking pitches? Just curious because I'm planning on taking him 4th overall in my dynasty draft. 

1 hour ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Anyone concerned at the fact he has a hard time hitting sliders and will likely see a ton of breaking pitches in the bigs possibly not allowing him to tap into his full game power? Is he a good enough hitter to adjust to the breaking pitches? Just curious because I'm planning on taking him 4th overall in my dynasty draft. 

4th overall in a prospect draft? What is the pool. I like Alonso but that seems awful high 

46 minutes ago, Kylebrown1008 said:

4th overall in a prospect draft? What is the pool. I like Alonso but that seems awful high 

It is MLB ready players who are not owned and all prospects in the Fantrax database. The first 3 picks will be: Franco, Mize, and Kiriloff. All of the top prospects were drafted last year. If you look at the IBW prospect list 23 of the top 25 players will be owned before I draft and on the Prospects Live list 18 of the top 20 players will be owned before I draft. I have selections 1.4 and 1.5 and plan on taking Alonso with one of those two picks. 

40 minutes ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

It is MLB ready players who are not owned and all prospects in the Fantrax database. The first 3 picks will be: Franco, Mize, and Kiriloff. All of the top prospects were drafted last year. If you look at the IBW prospect list 23 of the top 25 players will be owned before I draft and on the Prospects Live list 18 of the top 20 players will be owned before I draft. I have selections 1.4 and 1.5 and plan on taking Alonso with one of those two picks. 

Well In that case yea definitely take Alonso. I thought you were taking him 4th in a startup dynasty league and I was going to say there are atleast 20 prospects I would take before him in that. But no he’s great Value in that league 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, The 7th Beatles said:

That’s some pretty impressive power. A well-located 94mph fastball just got hammered. A DL stint to start the year could open up first base for him with Frazier shifting back to 3rd.

• Like 1
On 2/23/2019 at 12:01 PM, nygiantsfan913 said:

announcers said the mets gm has come out and said that service time won't be a determining factor on if hes sent down. and that if he deserves a spot on the team out of spring training he will be there

Interesting, but this wants a grain of salt. If it proves true I can only assume that the Mets don't think he's good enough to screw over.

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If service time doesn't matter, no idea why they didnt bring him up last year. Makes no sense really. Not like they were playing anyone good at 1b.   I put the odds of him breaking camp at very low. 

Service time does matter no matter what they tell you. Its almost guaranteed he won't make the team until mid April, which is the smart thing to do.

Yeah I'm not buying whatever they are selling. They are saying all the right things to the media but when the time comes they'll come up with a reason for why they are sending him down(when we know the real reason being service time manipulation)

8 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

If service time doesn't matter, no idea why they didnt bring him up last year. Makes no sense really. Not like they were playing anyone good at 1b.   I put the odds of him breaking camp at very low. 

It was ridiculous that they didn’t call him up strictly to get a good luck at him prior to the start of this year. It could have changed their entire approach to this offseason if he came up in September and mashed. They would be feeling a lot more comfortable penciling him in as their opening day first baseman and going from there. Similarly, if he came up and struggled they would know that he needs more seasoning. This isn’t the kind of guy like a Vlad Jr that projects to break the bank in a few years so playing the service time game doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

Edited by meh2
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, meh2 said:

It was ridiculous that they didn’t call him up strictly to get a good luck at him prior to the start of this year. It could have changed their entire approach to this offseason if he came up in September and mashed. They would be feeling a lot more comfortable penciling him in as their opening day first baseman and going from there. Similarly, if he came up and struggled they would know that he needs more seasoning. This isn’t the kind of guy like a Vlad Jr that projects to break the bank in a few years so playing the service time game doesn’t make a whole lot of sense.

HRs power arbitration figures.  If he mashes, he can make a pretty sizeable amount even without an average really.  Wait and see what Gallo gets as a first time ARB player after getting an average of 40 hrs and around 85 rbis the 3 years prior to the deal (projecting this season in this). 

17 minutes ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

frazier out indefinitely with an oblique strain. maybe this opens the door for alonso to make the opening day roster

It absolutely could depending on the severity.  Would also leave the team little wiggle room with their fan base, given the GMs statement about if he shows he's ready he will break camp.  Actually, it is the Mets so I guess we should expect them to reverse course.