NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

On 2/25/2019 at 8:18 AM, brockpapersizer said:

If service time doesn't matter, no idea why they didnt bring him up last year. Makes no sense really. Not like they were playing anyone good at 1b.   I put the odds of him breaking camp at very low. 

Well the person who made the relevant comment was not even the GM last year when Alsonso was crushing AA and AAA.

BVW didn't get hired until late October, way after the Mets season ended.

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, hailfire4 said:

Pete Alonso went 2-5 today with a double and it dropped his BAVG to .409. Clearly he ain't ready yet

Kingery and Happ had a great 2018 spring training too. Look what they did in MLB season ...

Spring training stats doesn't mean alot. Pitchers are just finding their groove and not going balls out ... 

Nick Ahmed Spring Training career stats are 286 AB with a .315 AVG.  Never translated to the real season

Edited by LivingOnTheEdge
  • Like 1

From the spring training broadcasts I watched early last week the downside of Alonso is not his bat being ready but his defense....... least that is what the Mets broadcast team kept mentioning with almost regularity. 

5 hours ago, Motorcat117 said:

From the spring training broadcasts I watched early last week the downside of Alonso is not his bat being ready but his defense....... least that is what the Mets broadcast team kept mentioning with almost regularity. 

They need to get Keith Hernandez out of the booth and give the kid some pointers.

On the Red Sox broadcast of the game they were interviewing Xander along the sidelines when Alonso hit that towering moon shot of a homer.  He just paused to admire it then smiled and said "That was a loud one!" 

If the Mets don't finally call up this guy they are insane.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

Today Josh RedDick just collided with Alonso at 1B on a bunt play. Josh went down like he hit a wall Alonso just stood there and offered to help him up. this has gotta be a highlight somewhere. 

1 hour ago, Coach George said:

Is anyone else starting to get the feeling that Pete might be better than we give him credit for?

I've been a big fan of his, but the criticisms remain over his defense and also that he will have trouble against better MLB pitching (ie. struggle against good off-speed pitches).  Like any good player, he will need to make adjustments as teams realize he can crush a fastball and expect pitchers to adjust.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

I've been a big fan of his, but the criticisms remain over his defense and also that he will have trouble against better MLB pitching (ie. struggle against good off-speed pitches).  Like any good player, he will need to make adjustments as teams realize he can crush a fastball and expect pitchers to adjust.

Yeah, I don’t think he’s proving anything we didn’t know this spring. His power’s awesome, and in exhibition games when pitchers are just working on things, he’s going to murder a few fastballs. The question will be how he responds to the steady diet of low breaking balls he’s likely to face in MLB.

19 hours ago, SpartyOn4 said:

Yeah, I don’t think he’s proving anything we didn’t know this spring. His power’s awesome, and in exhibition games when pitchers are just working on things, he’s going to murder a few fastballs. The question will be how he responds to the steady diet of low breaking balls he’s likely to face in MLB.

The one major thing Alonso has going for him is his elite ability is reading pitches and at laying off pitches outside the strike zone.  He actually has hit breaking balls well that break away from him but like you said it will be really interesting to see how he handles those professional pitchers that keep them low while hitting the strike zone.

There's no question that there will be a learning curve but Alonsos double plus ability at strike zone judgment and laying off bad pitches has me feeling a bit more optimistic especially being that Is something young power hitters struggle with badly when facing MLB pitchers. Now his defense is something to worry about although he did improve greatly defensively last year.

More impressive than the homers is that he's back to the sub-20% K-rate he demonstrated in the low minors. Spiked to 25% in AAA last year. For the record, the stabilization point for Strikeout % is 60PA, the fastest of any offensive player stats. Alonso is sitting at 52PA this spring.

• Like 6

I think we can pencil in Alonso for Opening Day.   And if the team floats $35-40 million to keep him around for six years, service time is moot.  

What a time to be a ballplayer.  

• Like 1