NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

4 hours ago, ImHighandInside said:

I don’t know really, realistically how many ABs is he going to get. You’d half to think he’s definitely splitting time with Smith. For me, not at all.

Obviously it's hard to know exactly what they are going to do yet, but it would make little sense to have him on the Opening Day roster if he's not going to play.  I know most of the time manipulating service time is a crappy move, but in this case I would understand doing that more than having him on the roster only to sit most of the time.

We'll see what happens of course, but I would be obviously disappointed if he's not the starting 1B right away.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Obviously it's hard to know exactly what they are going to do yet, but it would make little sense to have him on the Opening Day roster if he's not going to play.  I know most of the time manipulating service time is a crappy move, but in this case I would understand doing that more than having him on the roster only to sit most of the time.

We'll see what happens of course, but I would be obviously disappointed if he's not the starting 1B right away.

That makes sense and I fully agree and hope. 

Edited by ImHighandInside
23 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Gonna play himself into everyday ABs at 1B?

If he makes the team which it seems like he has, then the only logical thing would be to give him everyday ABs at 1B from the start.

• Like 4
19 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

If he makes the team which it seems like he has, then the only logical thing would be to give him everyday ABs at 1B from the start.

Logic and Mets hardly seem to belong in the same sentence...but I will certainly give them the benefit of the doubt under the new GM

• Haha 2
19 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

This seems right. Not only is he likely to make the team, but they seem keen on hitting him second in the lineup. That's not the kind of bat your platoon. Dom Smith has been good, so they may try to get him a start here and there along with pinch hitting, but Alonso seems like he's going to play almost everyday.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Buddha said:

This article is dated today (this evening actually), says they're not gonna manipulate his service time.

https://nypost.com/2019/03/25/pete-alonso-is-ready-for-the-good-kind-of-crying/

The service time part of it is actually old, but the rest of the article is indeed new.

All signs are pointing to him officially making the team on Wednesday, which is obviously a great thing.  I drafted him, but I definitely expected to have to wait even just a little while to be able to use him.