NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

From Keith Law's chat today:

Tim: Is Peter Alonso the best 1B in the Mets org right now? 
Keith Law: I still think Smith would be fine if the Mets would just play him, but Alonso would be a top 100 prospect now (given some graduations & new looks at him) and I think he’s an above-average regular at least. 
Keith Law: Maybe Smith will show up on time if he thinks someone is right behind him…

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

all this talk about alonso=hoskins comps are making me salivate over him like crazy-working right now on a few offers to get him in a trade in my league-(the guy in my league who picked him up is always on top before everyone else)-if Alonso could replicate hoskins k/bb ratio along with his hit tool continuing to develop, we already know his power is real and it shows even more to come..then I can't imagine how high his ceiling truly is-iam litrally salivating to get him

I had so many chances to pick hoskins up off of waivers 2 seasons ago but the pros on all the big sites kept saying it wasnt real and then when he continued monster ballin out at AA reading..it was the hitter friendly environments-I should have listened to the posters on this site and not the pros questioning everything about him-alonso is my redemption and im trying to get him before he explodes too much

addendum-its the same reason why I lost aul goldschmidt-the pros at BA and others kept saying hell never hit major league pitching but I never believed them and still refraned from keeping him in my minors and regret it ever since-my league only keeps 14 minor league spots which isn't much

Edited by My Roy Williams Tramp Stam
  • Like 2
On 3/12/2018 at 9:15 AM, brockpapersizer said:

He's very under the radar in prospect and fantasy prospect circles, that could change quickly with a hot start... Which I personally expect.

Sometimes I get them right 

https://metsmerizedonline.com/2018/04/peter-alonsos-stock-rising-with-improved-defense.html/

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

At this rate, he won't be long for AA.

That probably depends more on Smith than him. The Mets aren't likely to have the two of them splitting time at AAA.

But once Smith is back in MLB I don't see any reason not to promote Alonso right behind him.

53 minutes ago, SpartyOn4 said:

That probably depends more on Smith than him. The Mets aren't likely to have the two of them splitting time at AAA.

But once Smith is back in MLB I don't see any reason not to promote Alonso right behind him.

If that's true, Alonso is playing so well he's forcing a Smith call up 

• Like 2

I just got Alonso in a deal last night! Gotta luv this bat. I was long a fan of Smith -being a Klaw disciple- but he really hasn't taken advantage of opportunities and for whatever reason the Mets are simply not that big of fans...I don't think he would get in the way if Alonso forces his way up the ladder.

Edited by ST. STEVEN
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

O

M

G

Jumped on the bandwagon, in part because of your recommendation, and I am not upset so far. Lol. Holy moly, this kid is crushing. 

I dont see a path to MLB this year with all the flotsam and jetsam in the way (Gonzalez, Bruce, Smith), but there’s a slight sliver of he keeps killing AA. He needs some more time, but if he kills May like this (or even close), he has to get moved up and he’s essentially ready to see MLB pitching. 

49 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

@brockpapersizer keep 'em coming!  Well done, sir.

@garlando had him higher than anyone in his top 100. 

The industry in general really goes low on first base prospects, and there's good reason for it. He still has a lot to prove defensively and hitting at higher levels but his offensive upside is pretty tremendous.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mcbane said:

Jumped on the bandwagon, in part because of your recommendation, and I am not upset so far. Lol. Holy moly, this kid is crushing. 

I dont see a path to MLB this year with all the flotsam and jetsam in the way (Gonzalez, Bruce, Smith), but there’s a slight sliver of he keeps killing AA. He needs some more time, but if he kills May like this (or even close), he has to get moved up and he’s essentially ready to see MLB pitching. 

Gonzalez showed last year that he’s pretty much toast and he’s actually been worse this year. They’re only committed to the Major League minimum with him. They might give him until just after Super Two but I’m guessing he’ll be DFA’d soon. If Alonso keeps this up I’m also guessing he’ll get the call over Smith. While Smith has more at bats as a professional, Alonso is a year older and clearly looks to be the more promising player.

• Like 2

Fangraphs wrote him up today, nothing you didn't already know from reading this thread 

Peter Alonso, 1B, Mets: Has the Mets organization finally found its long-term first baseman? After turning to the likes of Ike DavisLucas Duda and Dominic Smith this former second rounder just *might* be the answer. Alonso, 23, came into pro ball with a number of questions around his hitting profile but he’s shown the ability to consistently hit for both average and power. And double-A has posed no challenge in the early going this season. The hulking first baseman has six homers in 19 games and sports a .388 batting average. He’s also getting on-base at an excellent clip with 14 walks. The aforementioned Smith is hitting OK at triple-A but he may be in danger of losing his footing in the Mets organization. With veteran big league first baseman Adrian Gonzalez scuffling, the club may soon look to the minors for a spark. I wouldn’t be shocked if the name that gets called is Alonso over Smith.

• Like 1