NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

brockpapersizer

20 hours ago, meh2 said:

Gonzalez showed last year that he’s pretty much toast and he’s actually been worse this year. They’re only committed to the Major League minimum with him. They might give him until just after Super Two but I’m guessing he’ll be DFA’d soon. If Alonso keeps this up I’m also guessing he’ll get the call over Smith. While Smith has more at bats as a professional, Alonso is a year older and clearly looks to be the more promising player.

I sure as hell hope so. I always think of the Mets as being less than progressive (or intelligent), so I just assume they’ll hold on to the veterans for far longer than they should. 

On 4/28/2018 at 10:39 AM, brockpapersizer said:

I dont think Smith is a bum, but if you're talking about fantasy upside, I think Alonso has a ton more of it.

Agree with this. From a real life perspective, Dom Smith projects as an elite fielding 1B. He has hit for average in the minors but power hasn't fully developed, but its another tool people expect to improve. Alonso is already showing power, and he obviously projects for big power given his size. 

His K/BB is extremely encouraging. He looked solid in Spring as well. Alonso has definitely been an afterthought with Smith, it'll be interesting if he could leapfrog him. There's certainly no one at the Major League level blocking him at this point. If Alonso stays this hot and Mets face some 1B injuries, I wouldn't rule out a call to the big leagues over Smith.

14 hours ago, B&F said:

I see a Paul Goldschmidt comp.  I am not exaggerating.

That's what I was wondering. Is he another Goldschmidt or Hoskins?

Also, any chance he can play corner OF if needed? Have read a bunch on his bat but nothing on his glove. Can he play LF or RF allowing Dom Smith to play 1B? I know the mets have a bunch of OF with Nimmo riding the pine way too much already, but should these both be part of the long term plans one would have to move off 1B.

Just now, corey_rideout said:

That's what I was wondering. Is he another Goldschmidt or Hoskins?

Also, any chance he can play corner OF if needed? Have read a bunch on his bat but nothing on his glove. Can he play LF or RF allowing Dom Smith to play 1B? I know the mets have a bunch of OF with Nimmo riding the pine way too much already, but should these both be part of the long term plans one would have to move off 1B.

For what I’ve read, he is not good defensively. In a perfect world he plays for an AL team in a nice RH hitters park and DH’s. 

from one of the mods on a mets blog who has seen him play a lot in person:

"He screws up basic things that a 1b should be able to do in his sleep. It’s not like he just doesn’t stretch good, or has trouble finding the bag, or things like that. It’s basic stuff that Sunday beer league guys have no problem with (usually). I’ve noted before, he didn’t always play 1b, and was a 3b for most of his time at Florida, but again, some of this stuff should just come to you, and I don’t really get fully why he has issues with some of it."

he profiles as a pure DH...which is a problem for his short term outlook.

• Like 1

All the big pub and twitter scouts I read say he's really bad in the field. That does matter in a roundabout way for fantasy too.

Still, it says a lot when guys like Klaw-- who notoriously knock guys way down that play 1B and bring no defensive or negative defensive value--say he's already shown enough to move well into top 100 list and possibly more...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Still, it says a lot when guys like Klaw-- who notoriously knock guys way down that play 1B and bring no defensive or negative defensive value--say he's already shown enough to move well into top 100 list and possibly more...

another reason why I'm also big on Yordan Alvarez btw

Pushing in all my chips. This is what I love about playing in a keeper/dynasty: trying to catch lightning in a bottle. This guy is easily the early leader in the race for out-of-(seemingly)-nowhere breakout. Yes, I know he had a studly second half, but he wasn't on any of the prominent lists going into 2018 (BA, BP, FG, MiLB, Pipeline, etc.). So excited to own and track this guy.

hype-overload-gif-8.gif

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Top 25 fantasy prospect

Dont @ me 

Bold but I like it!

This feels like Hoskins last year, except I was too passive and missed out on him in my 20 team dynasty. Didn't make the same mistake for Alonso!

• Like 1

• What’re your thoughts on Pete Alonso? With no clear cut 1B in Queens and AG struggling, could he get his first taste post ASB?

Ben Badler: I’m hoping to see him in person soon to get a better read on him. The power is obvious and I like what I’m hearing about the strides he’s making with his selectivity at the plate. He gets dinged for his defense at first base, but I think that’s overrated. If you’re a first baseman, I want you to mash.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

(Tuesday Fangraphs Brad Johnson chat excerpt)

4:17
Bird Man: Peter Alonso has better numbers than Vladdy Jr. and has the longer track record to back it up, change my mind.

4:18
Brad Johnson: Talk to a scout. The creation myth of Vladito is at least three parts physical to one part statistics

4:18
Brad Johnson: I could see Alonso being the Rhys Hoskins of 2018 though.
  • Thanks 1

I'm already invested, an starting to get myself hyped. I just hope I am not setting myself up for future heart break. His numbers this season is fantastic and his track record looks good as well. Only problem is I still think Dominic Smith is in his way on the depth chart to get called up to triple A and/or ML.