NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

brockpapersizer

1 minute ago, brockpapersizer said:

Sure, I was only responding to one thing that i saw as misleading.

If Adrian Gonzalez stays healthy and keeps hitting ok, however it’s  been a few years since he’s done that.

dom smith is barely slugging 400 in a repeat of the PCL

i stand by the fact that a healthy alonso pushes into the majors this year. Maybe it’s some random at bats in September that won’t help you much in fantasy, sure.

No problem - the larger point was definitely about Alonso being blocked in 2018.

Agreed on A-Gone's health, but I definitely believe that for at least 2018, should he go down again it will be Dom Smith that's given every opportunity to keep his spot on the 40 man (and hopefully increase his trade value to pave the way for Alonso in 2019). Smith still has an OPS over .800 in the PCL to go along with a high end OBP - he obviously doesn't have ideal power for a corner IF, but he's not ready to be cast aside yet either.

I would agree that Alonso could certainly get the proverbial September cup of coffee when rosters expand, but as you indicated, those AB's won't help much in fantasy as they're unlikely to be consistent, again, barring trade/injury.

Bottom line, I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot stashing him outside of keeper/dynasty leagues unless you have room and the majority of 2018 call up candidates are already on other teams' rosters.

3 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

Sure, I was only responding to one thing that i saw as misleading.

If Adrian Gonzalez stays healthy and keeps hitting ok, however it’s  been a few years since he’s done that.

dom smith is barely slugging 400 in a repeat of the PCL

i stand by the fact that a healthy alonso pushes into the majors this year. Maybe it’s some random at bats in September that won’t help you much in fantasy, sure.

This. I think the breakout is real, and the Mets need is real. But the whole thing screams cup of coffee to me. He has some regression coming (.400 BABIP) so kicking in the door hitting .350 is unlikely. And he has some defensive work to do before he's fully ready (although that doesn't seem to stop teams from rushing guys who mash)

In redraft I'd take a bench bat or SP/RP guy over any minor league pure flyer not named Vladimir or Kopech.

In dynasty, heads up the Mets are apparently on the prowl for Jose Abreu.

15 minutes ago, Dark One said:

N

I would agree that Alonso could certainly get the proverbial September cup of coffee when rosters expand, but as you indicated, those AB's won't help much in fantasy as they're unlikely to be consistent, again, barring trade/injury.

Bottom line, I wouldn't want to waste a roster spot stashing him outside of keeper/dynasty leagues unless you have room and the majority of 2018 call up candidates are already on other teams' rosters.

While I'm high on Alonso, I don't think I've recommended saying he should be owned in redraft or will rescue fantasy teams this year. I just think he pushes up to the majors this year. The upside is surely there to help, but a rookie first basemen is rarely going to help win championships. Generally if you're contending you don't have a hole at 1b or util, and many prospects struggle at first.

Edited by brockpapersizer

28 minutes ago, bdy1 said:

In dynasty, heads up the Mets are apparently on the prowl for Jose Abreu.

Probably a longshot they actually land him, but that could be a good thing for Alonso.

If an Abreu trade did happen, I'd assume Alonso or Smith would be going the other way in the deal. First base is one of the Mets' strongest prospect areas to trade from, and potentially a long-term need for the White Sox, although they could end up moving Zack Collins from C to 1B.

And obviously going to Chicago would boost Alonso's dynasty value in many ways - AL team, hitter's park, clearer path to PT, potentially strong lineup in a few years.

Edited by SpartyOn4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 12to6 said:

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I wonder if it's Alosno related, or Cespedes DL related.

I'd guess a little bit of both. The reality is that if the Mets truly believed in Smith as their future at 1B, he'd be playing over Agone by now. 

22 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Hey guys, is this guy basically an any day call up? 

It will take an injury from Gonzalez probably.   Otherwise September.

Is this guy the real deal?

As far as we can tell, yes.

Hoskins type player? 

An excellent comp.

35 minutes ago, phisouza33 said:

Hey guys, is this guy basically an any day call up? Is this guy the real deal? Hoskins type player? 

No, not likely an 'any day call up' guy.  As mentioned above, he's likely to get more time in AA, and possibly AAA to work on his foot work/glove at first base before the Mets are ready to promote him.  They are presently trying out Dom Smith, ahead of him at AAA right now, in the OF.  The signing of Bautista clouds things a bit as well, because the idea was to see whether or not Smith could play OF adequately and possibly call him up to play OF.  If they are serious about getting Bautista ABs, then they may also be at the expense of Gonzalez at 1B.  A-Gon is merely a speed bump than an actual road block.  

As for a comp, Hoskins has been thrown out, more as a big right handed first baseman, that is first base "only" type, and who also kinda went under the radar.  Hoskins has shown he is more athletic though by playing the OF.  I do not think there are any analysts though who think Alonso will be anything more than a first baseman.  The knock on him defensively coming into the season was that the bat was more advanced than the glove. The bat continues to show promise, but from the reports it seems that Alonso is at least passable defensively, though I'm sure the team wants him to continue to develop there.

Edited by BigPapi44

59 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

No, not likely an 'any day call up' guy.  As mentioned above, he's likely to get more time in AA, and possibly AAA to work on his foot work/glove at first base before the Mets are ready to promote him.  They are presently trying out Dom Smith, ahead of him at AAA right now, in the OF.  The signing of Bautista clouds things a bit as well, because the idea was to see whether or not Smith could play OF adequately and possibly call him up to play OF.  If they are serious about getting Bautista ABs, then they may also be at the expense of Gonzalez at 1B.  A-Gon is merely a speed bump than an actual road block.  

As for a comp, Hoskins has been thrown out, more as a big right handed first baseman, that is first base "only" type, and who also kinda went under the radar.  Hoskins has shown he is more athletic though by playing the OF.  I do not think there are any analysts though who think Alonso will be anything more than a first baseman.  The knock on him defensively coming into the season was that the bat was more advanced than the glove. The bat continues to show promise, but from the reports it seems that Alonso is at least passable defensively, though I'm sure the team wants him to continue to develop there.

Thanks for the help! Greatly appreciated 

• Like 1

He's ready.

Another one run performance by the Mets last night against a mediocre pitcher.  I am changing my opinion of when he is recalled to sometime next week.

If the Mets think they can contend this season they will make a move sooner than later.

4 minutes ago, B&F said:

He's ready.

Another one run performance by the Mets last night against a mediocre pitcher.  I am changing my opinion of when he is recalled to sometime next week.

If the Mets think they can contend this season they will make a move sooner than later.

His bat is ready. Is the glove? Open question to the forum. A few weeks ago he was compared disfavorably to the 1b in your or my Sunday night beer league softball team. The New York Post had a glowing write-up on him yesterday but didn't mention any progress in the field. (It did mention that Smith has been playing some OF and that it could indicate they're clearing a path for him).  

Im as excited as anyone to see him up - I get serious Hoskins vibes - but what would send the hyle train into full gear for me would be a glowing report on his work in the field (along with a few more bombs of course). 

3 hours ago, B&F said:

He's ready.

knowing how the mets they'll go out and sign rafael palmeiro to play 1st base before bringing alonso up

• Like 2

1 hour ago, B&F said:

He's ready.

Next week? I just don't see that. I don't even see next month as a possibility. He looks like either a trade deadline call-up or a September call-up. If the Mets think they can contend this year, they are not going to look at a kid in AA as the missing piece...not imho. 

7 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Next week? I just don't see that. I don't even see next month as a possibility. He looks like either a trade deadline call-up or a September call-up. If the Mets think they can contend this year, they are not going to look at a kid in AA as the missing piece...not imho. 

They shouldn't bank on a AA kid being their savior, but I don't think it would be dumb to try it out. What's the alternative, trade valuable assets for a veteran bat like Donaldson or something?

23 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

They shouldn't bank on a AA kid being their savior, but I don't think it would be dumb to try it out. What's the alternative, trade valuable assets for a veteran bat like Donaldson or something?

I'd love for them to try it :). I just don't think they will anytime soon. The alternative is wait and see what shape they're in as the trade deadline approaches. They may not even be in the race then, and if they're not, it won't be because they refused to call up a AA 1B with questionable defense. 

But I'd be a very happy camper if I'm proven wrong. I welcome that helping of crow. Lol. 

2 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

I'd love for them to try it :). I just don't think they will anytime soon. The alternative is wait and see what shape they're in as the trade deadline approaches. They may not even be in the race then, and if they're not, it won't be because they refused to call up a AA 1B with questionable defense. 

But I'd be a very happy camper if I'm proven wrong. I welcome that helping of crow. Lol.   

I'm guessing Sandy isn't doing this GM thing much longer and has picked up older guys like Jay Bruce, Todd Frazier, Jason Vargas, Adrian Gonzalez and Jose Bautista.

Talk radio has been talking about moving deGrom at some point for some good prospects if they fall out of it.

The Mets are already trying Dominic Smith in the OF in a move that would allow Peter Alonso a chance to play 1B.   Smith is a good defensive glove at 1B but Alonso probably can't play anywhere else in the bigs but first base. 

The trade deadline seems like a very real target date for Alonso to get called up with the hopes of getting two months of bombs.  Sooner if Adrian Gonzalez gets cut.

• Like 2