NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

12 hours ago, Flyman75 said:

They've scored 21 runs in their last 10 games, scoring 0 or 1 in six of those games. They are unbelievably bad right now. 

That’s two more touchdowns than the Jets would score in 10 games, so I don’t see why everyone’s complaining...

• Haha 3
  • Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Didgital said:

well... at least Alonso is next in line? Has to be a service time thing for him at this point

If it’s a service time thing, we’re into April 2019. Super-2 has passed by any reasonable approximation of the date based on last 7+ years.

Likely headed to AAA.  

Smith had a chance last season and didn't do much.  Why not give Alonso a shot?

Smith will probably have a couple of months to figure things out. 

I think I am out on Alonso.  I have better ways to utilize the roster spot.

1 minute ago, B&F said:

Likely headed to AAA.  

Smith had a chance last season and didn't do much.  Why not give Alonso a shot?

Smith will probably have a couple of months to figure things out. 

I think I am out on Alonso.  I have better ways to utilize the roster spot.

Well, Smith was just 21/22yo last year, and despite the awful BA, he did hit 9 HR in 49 games after hitting .330-77-16-76 in 114 AAA games. Now he's off to a listless start in Vegas this year, but he's still young...turning 23 in a few days...6 months younger than Alonso. 

I'm not saying Smith is better than Alonso. I'm just saying he still has time to develop. I'm interested to see what he does now that he's in NY. 

• Like 1

Alonso gets compared to Rhys Hoskins a lot. Hoskins spent an entire year in AA at 23, then most of last season at AAA before coming up in August.

Alonso's also cooled off a bit, with only 1 extra-base hit in his last 15 games. Nothing to worry about long-term, everybody slumps, but maybe he doesn't need to be rushed up to MLB right this second.

I think he's a great dynasty hold but I've never really looked at him as much of a factor this year. Expecting him to skip AAA and leapfrog Smith (who was the higher rated of the two at the start of the year) seems a bit much.

• Like 4

per rotoballer

6/11:If for some reason you’ve been holding onto mashing New York Mets first baseman prospect Peter Alonso in a redraft league, you can probably safely cut bait for 2018. According to Mets radio announcer Howie Rose, citing a “pretty strong source” with the team, the Mets will not call up Alonso to the majors “no matter what” this season. Although the Mets don’t usually handle these things (or anything) all that well, this is probably the right move. On Monday, the team released Adrian Gonzalez and are finally giving Dominic Smith the reigns to see what he can do at first base. Calling up Alonso this season would put a huge dent into finding out what they truly have in Smith, formerly a top prospect. There’s no doubting Alonso is having the superior season; he’s slashing .310/.441/.657 with 15 home runs and 50 RBI in 210 at-bats and 62 games for Double-A Binghamton, but it would certainly not be in the organization’s best interests if they did not see what Smith is capable of after being awarded the everyday role. Alonso remains a great hold in dynasty formats.--Andrew Bua - RotoBaller

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

But, the problem is Smith sucked last season and can't even do anything worthwhile in the PCL this season (even though he tore up the PCL last year).  Oh well.  Maybe next season after Smith hits .200 and commits 20 errors at 1B the rest of this season since he's a horrible 1B as well (at least what I saw of him last season when I had deGrom).  He's been a really good fielder this season in AAA, but we'll see if that means anything in the majors.

Alonso will be the starting 1B at some point next season, but unfortunately that obviously does absolutely no good for this season.

10 hours ago, KilloWertz said:

But, the problem is Smith sucked last season and can't even do anything worthwhile in the PCL this season (even though he tore up the PCL last year).  Oh well.  Maybe next season after Smith hits .200 and commits 20 errors at 1B the rest of this season since he's a horrible 1B as well (at least what I saw of him last season when I had deGrom).  He's been a really good fielder this season in AAA, but we'll see if that means anything in the majors.

Alonso will be the starting 1B at some point next season, but unfortunately that obviously does absolutely no good for this season.

Well Smith is actually regarded as a 65/70 fielding 1B, but your point remains.

He's probably not going to road block Alonso next year, but the Mets will Met so it's hard to say with total conviction.

1 hour ago, Blood Brother said:

Lol at "possibly" and "soon". Why even wait. He's crushed in Double-A all year long

Not supporting keeping him at AA, but they may think it's better to allow him to play in the AA All-Star game.

1 hour ago, Blood Brother said:

Lol at "possibly" and "soon". Why even wait. He's crushed in Double-A all year long

If they called him up to Triple A too soon and he mashes in hitter friendly Las Vegas like everyone expects, the Mets would have to answer a lot more questions about why he’s not in the big leagues. This way they can keep him down with less pressure until the 3rd or 4th week of 2019. It’s ridiculous. He’s 23! He’s currently the best first base option in your organization. Call him up and let him play!

• Like 3

jack82: Peter Alonso’s numbers and counting stats are really impressive this year, and I thought You ranked him a bit higher than You did in recent review. Do You see some red flag or limit in his number and ceiling? Rhys Hoskins translated well to the bigs with similar numbers last year.

12:30

Kiley McDaniel: Rhys is more athletic in the box and in the field, so there’s more give in his profile, but it’s hard to argue with what Alonso is doing, so we stopped arguing with his numbers. They never argued back and it was frustrating so we gave up.

9 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

jack82: Peter Alonso’s numbers and counting stats are really impressive this year, and I thought You ranked him a bit higher than You did in recent review. Do You see some red flag or limit in his number and ceiling? Rhys Hoskins translated well to the bigs with similar numbers last year.

12:30

Kiley McDaniel: Rhys is more athletic in the box and in the field, so there’s more give in his profile, but it’s hard to argue with what Alonso is doing, so we stopped arguing with his numbers. They never argued back and it was frustrating so we gave up.

lmao