NBC Sports Edge Forums

Pete Alonso 1b NYM

• Replies 366
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Between that and a positive 1.8 Fielding Runs Above Average grade at both AA and AAA, I think we are moving past him being a DH prospect only. He's plenty fine at 1st and one of the best slugging pros

Might as well discuss another rh 1b     He could be up.... THIS year. One thing that stands out to me is that he’s a good contact hitter along with the power, he might not be a dra

cant stop   wont stop

Posted Images

As a Alonso owner in dynasty i want to see him as much as anyone else, but I dont think injuries will get him up this year.  The Mets are currently using Bruce and Cespedes outages to try Smith in LF and Flores at IB.  An additional injury to one of those two could lead to Alonso's call as an emergency backfill, but on the other end of the coin when either Bruce or Cespedes come back Smith and Flores will be used in a platoon at 1B.  

Absent a structural change to the Mets 25-man roster or extreme injuries, I don't think we'll see him this year.  That being said, he should be in line for a September call-up and a hard look going into 2019.

42 minutes ago, Dr. Claw said:

As a Alonso owner in dynasty i want to see him as much as anyone else, but I dont think injuries will get him up this year.  The Mets are currently using Bruce and Cespedes outages to try Smith in LF and Flores at IB.  An additional injury to one of those two could lead to Alonso's call as an emergency backfill, but on the other end of the coin when either Bruce or Cespedes come back Smith and Flores will be used in a platoon at 1B.  

Absent a structural change to the Mets 25-man roster or extreme injuries, I don't think we'll see him this year.  That being said, he should be in line for a September call-up and a hard look going into 2019.

I think you meant to say outside of new ownership taking over we won’t be seeing Alonso up this year.

That is one way to announce your arrival to a new league.  Damn...

The bat flip alone means Alonso is ready for the majors.  It made some of the players up in the majors look like amateurs in comparison.  Although he doesn't even have to do that bat flip ever again to make the vast majority of the Mets' hitters look like amateurs.

10 pitch walk is meaningless when you are 0-3.  It's bat flip or bust from the man with the mustache for me... ;)

Seriously though, that is still impressive.  Not anywhere near as long, but that still reminds me of an AB Jose Ramirez had against Gerrit Cole a little while back.  Impressive when you can foul all of those balls off in a row in a full count.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Sine_cera said:

5-for-35, 0 HR, 4 RBI and 13 K since his 3 HR game...He needs to start raking again!

Agreed!  Even with the Ks, he's still walking quite a bit, .351OBP.  The hits will come.

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

@96mnc and I were at Nats Stadium for the game tonight and I think I had time for like 3 Wows before the ball landed. Never seen a ball hit like that in my life.

I was at the game also.  It was a nice HR, but just barely fair down the LF line.  He turned on the pitch nicely and hit a huge moonshot, but it can't compare with the time I saw McGwire hit one halfway up the second deck at RFK stadium the first year the Nationals moved in from Montreal.  I think there were no fans within 100 feet of where it landed, so it took a while for someone to run over there and pick it up.

No offense intended to Alonso -- it was a serious HR -- but 415 feet isn't that spectacular.. The launch angle and height made it look more impressive.

I was more impressed with Luis Basabe turning on a 102 MPH fastball from Hunter Greene and depositing it in the seats to straight-away CF.

9 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

I was at the game also.  It was a nice HR, but just barely fair down the LF line.  He turned on the pitch nicely and hit a huge moonshot, but it can't compare with the time I saw McGwire hit one halfway up the second deck at RFK stadium the first year the Nationals moved in from Montreal.  I think there were no fans within 100 feet of where it landed, so it took a while for someone to run over there and pick it up.

No offense intended to Alonso -- it was a serious HR -- but 415 feet isn't that spectacular.. The launch angle and height made it look more impressive.

I was more impressed with Luis Basabe turning on a 102 MPH fastball from Hunter Greene and depositing it in the seats to straight-away CF.

415 feet at the launch angle in which he hit the ball is what made it spectacular. I may be wrong, but I want to say it's the first HR of its kind in the Statcast era. That's significant 

• Like 1