NBC Sports Edge Forums

Case Keenum 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I don't follow the team, but I've heard that Musgrave and his assistants have worked hard to create an entirely new offense that will be much more up-tempo.  With that defense, Keenum may have the chance to run a lot of plays.  

Also, the guys who stay on the field will be those who can be trusted to think fast and do the right thing.  DT and Sanders definitely fit that mold.  Between Booker and Freeman, I bet the more experienced (and better receiver) Booker has a big leg up in a no-huddle, fast paced format.

In PS, I will be looking for confirmation that Denver's offense has truly been re-made.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This guy is probably the best bye week filler available at the QB position, and a good back up to hedge against an injury to your QB1. This guy gets to throw against KC, SD, and OAK 6 times this year?

Weird how that happens when one team has a pass rush and the other doesn’t at all

nobody is drafting him as a QB1 but he could potentially return low QB1 numbers   all of my comments are as a Broncos homer and not a fantasy player fwiw

20 hours ago, Rolling Thunder said:

I don't follow the team, but I've heard that Musgrave and his assistants have worked hard to create an entirely new offense that will be much more up-tempo.  With that defense, Keenum may have the chance to run a lot of plays.  

Also, the guys who stay on the field will be those who can be trusted to think fast and do the right thing.  DT and Sanders definitely fit that mold.  Between Booker and Freeman, I bet the more experienced (and better receiver) Booker has a big leg up in a no-huddle, fast paced format.

In PS, I will be looking for confirmation that Denver's offense has truly been re-made.

From what I’m hearing- it’s merely simplifying the offense.   Last season BIlly Moose didn’t have time to rework McCoys complicated scheme.   Power running has always been a staple for Musgrave and I’d expect much of the same.  Fewer option routes and check reads, more defined roles with less thinking.     Should be good for the offense, but “fast paced, no huddle” is completely overstating it.    

Simpler is the operative term. 

"We're trying to make it concise,'' Musgrave said. "We don't want long worded plays in the huddle. We've got three or four ways to go, 'no huddle.' And a lot of those are one-word calls. We'd love for guys to know it like the back of their hand, then they can just cut it loose and play.''

Edited by Impreza178
  • Like 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Case Keenum 2018 Outlook
  • 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, TheFire said:

This guy is probably the best bye week filler available at the QB position, and a good back up to hedge against an injury to your QB1. This guy gets to throw against KC, SD, and OAK 6 times this year? Sign me up!

Sneaky QB1 with those weapons. Had similar weapons last year (albeit probably better.)

Insane how efficient Sanders was last week. He looks like a real steal (still concerned about his injury issues though)

Fwiw:

14. @SF

15. CLE

16. @OAK

Keenum is playing much more aggressively now that he doesn’t have a HC breathing down his neck the entire time. I think he is store for a big season, but I’m one of the resident Bronco homers so take that as you will. Just too many weapons for him not to be productive. 

Edited by lolcopter
  • Like 1

I am one of those QB streamers waiting for Wentz's return and I might stick with Keenum. Like everyone has said, he likes to sling it and he has weapons. The AFC west has some porous secondaries and denver's running game is still in it's infancy stages of development with two rookies leading the charge. 

On 9/12/2018 at 8:19 AM, lolcopter said:

Fwiw:

14. @SF

15. CLE

16. @OAK

Keenum is playing much more aggressively now that he doesn’t have a HC breathing down his neck the entire time. I think he is store for a big season, but I’m one of the resident Bronco homers so take that as you will. Just too many weapons for him not to be productive. 

Overt much agree. I think if he can find a target in his tight ends he can finish around 12-15 top qbs in the league. I think he is a great plug and play depending on the matchup. Which are pretty juicy. Sanders should continue to feast but I personally fear may fall into injury/concussion problems if he sees this same workload. Atleast with Keenum’s pripensity to miss high as he has shown. The good news is we have the depth with Sutton and Hamilton and Patrick, if he decides to start showing his soft hand again. Barring more then 1 or 2 injuries on the line Case will have a very decent floor. 

2 hours ago, Gravy said:

Overt much agree. I think if he can find a target in his tight ends he can finish around 12-15 top qbs in the league. I think he is a great plug and play depending on the matchup. Which are pretty juicy. Sanders should continue to feast but I personally fear may fall into injury/concussion problems if he sees this same workload. Atleast with Keenum’s pripensity to miss high as he has shown. The good news is we have the depth with Sutton and Hamilton and Patrick, if he decides to start showing his soft hand again. Barring more then 1 or 2 injuries on the line Case will have a very decent floor. 

Case is a great streamer, i dropped big ben becuase of his elbow issues and picked up keenum because he uses his legs to buy time and will always try to find a wr even though he has a bit of an accuracy problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Diggs/Thielan of last year looking like CrisCarter/Moss when you compare to DT/Sanders this year for Case. 

Who woulda thought it woulda been this type of drop off.  0 TDs last 3 weeks when guys like Mitch T throws 6 in 1 game.  

Fantasy is nuts this year. 

He missed a wide open DT at the end of the game that likely would have sealed the victory, he has not looked good. He would have had a throwing TD to Sutton if not for a pass interference in the endzone, it led to a Lindsay rushing TD so that really killed his numbers.

The interception was also pretty unlucky. It was a good throw but the defender made a ridiculous play to intercept it.

Sucks to be stuck with guy in two QB leagues right now.

Edited by daethfromabove1979
14 minutes ago, daethfromabove1979 said:

He missed a wide open DT at the end of the game that likely would have sealed the victory, he has not looked good. He would have had a throwing TD to Sutton if not for a pass interference in the endzone, it led to a Lindsay rushing TD so that really killed his numbers.

The interception was also pretty unlucky. It was a good throw but the defender made a ridiculous play to intercept it.

Sucks to be stuck with guy in two QB leagues right now.

Sure, but he also threw what should have been an EASY interception on the final drive (i believe it was the play before the overthrow of DT on what should have been a walk-in TD). Hit the Chiefs DB right in the hands/chest and he just didn't hang on. 

He's looked dreadful. I don't know how else you can slice it. 

7 minutes ago, Sternes said:

How about the D letting Mahomes double his yardage total in the 4th quarter?

I think that's got a lot more to do with Mahomes' brilliance than Case Keenum. Keenum had a pathetic 3 and out to give the ball right back to Mahomes with about 4 minutes left in the game, and then missed multiple throws on the final drive, including what should have been another interception. 

3 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

I think that's got a lot more to do with Mahomes' brilliance than Case Keenum. Keenum had a pathetic 3 and out to give the ball right back to Mahomes with about 4 minutes left in the game, and then missed multiple throws on the final drive, including what should have been another interception. 

Mahomes' wasn't brilliant for 3 quarters, but when the D sits back and lets them pick them apart by sitting in man coverage and letting him scramble around for 6 seconds it is brilliant?  Even the announcers were wondering what was going on.

You do know Mahomes' almost threw multiple picks last night too, right?  The one by the GL thrown into double coverage that got popped up in the air comes to mind immediately.

Don't forget, Keenum's final drive started with a sack.  He recovered that drive from 2nd and 20.  You guys are acting like he didn't get them within striking distance.  He wasn't great, but he wasn't awful like you are making him sound.  He connects on that one throw and everyone would be saying something different.

2 minutes ago, Sternes said:

Mahomes' wasn't brilliant for 3 quarters, but when the D sits back and lets them pick them apart by sitting in man coverage and letting him scramble around for 6 seconds it is brilliant?  Even the announcers were wondering what was going on.

You do know Mahomes' almost threw multiple picks last night too, right?  The one by the GL thrown into double coverage that got popped up in the air comes to mind immediately.

Don't forget, Keenum's final drive started with a sack.  He recovered that drive from 2nd and 20.  You guys are acting like he didn't get them within striking distance.  He wasn't great, but he wasn't awful like you are making him sound.  He connects on that one throw and everyone would be saying something different.

The analysis of Mahomes game just isn't relevant to this thread. 

Keenum taking that sack in that situation is a negative, in my eyes. The three and out on the drive before was abysmal. He got them within striking distance, but based on how that game played out he only needed to make a couple throws to ensure victory, and he couldn't do it. He failed to throw a touchdown against the worst defense in the league (at home). 

Keenum is not singlehandedly responsible for the loss (no player ever is in football, a team sport), but he certainly deserves his share of the blame. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

The analysis of Mahomes game just isn't relevant to this thread. 

Keenum taking that sack in that situation is a negative, in my eyes. The three and out on the drive before was abysmal. He got them within striking distance, but based on how that game played out he only needed to make a couple throws to ensure victory, and he couldn't do it. He failed to throw a touchdown against the worst defense in the league (at home). 

Keenum is not singlehandedly responsible for the loss (no player ever is in football, a team sport), but he certainly deserves his share of the blame. 

The reason he got sacked was because they decided to do a PA pass which kept him sitting there for the first two seconds of the play when everyone and their mother knows they have to pass, not run, with no timeouts and 1:40 to go.

3 minutes ago, Sternes said:

The reason he got sacked was because they decided to do a PA pass which kept him sitting there for the first two seconds of the play when everyone and their mother knows they have to pass, not run, with no timeouts and 1:40 to go.

okay. Excuse that play then.

He still didn't get it done. Threw a should-have-been INT on 2nd down before air-mailing a should-have-been game-winning TD to Demaryius Thomas on 3rd down. 

0 TDs, 1 INT, and a loss at home against the worst defense in the league. 

Just now, mjb03003 said:

okay. Excuse that play then.

He still didn't get it done. Threw a should-have-been INT on 2nd down before air-mailing a should-have-been game-winning TD to Demaryius Thomas on 3rd down. 

0 TDs, 1 INT, and a loss at home against the worst defense in the league. 

If you want to argue in circles, go ahead.

I didn't say he got it done. 

If you watched the game he wasn't that bad.  He just didn't carry the team.

At the same time, the team did itself no favors.  They could run at will, and stopped.  They made life difficult on themselves.  Their D stopped doing what worked.  Their offensive line still sucks and let Keenum get pressured all night.