NBC Sports Edge Forums

Leonard Fournette 2018 Outlook

fakespike

I would even argue taking a RB 4th overall was a stupid pick.

You know what, nevermind, no use arguing with people that don't have a clue what they're talking about.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CyberneticGhostOfXMasPast said:

He also started the franchise, left and won 2 SB, returned and helped the Jags go from annual joke to contender 

Exactly. Not a coincidence JAX didn't win a division title until he returned. 

4 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

The point is the Jags were going to be good last year with or without Coughlin.  He just had amazing timing to make himself look good.

Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you were optimistic all of those Gus Bradley years as well.

Just now, joshua18 said:

Keep telling yourself that. I'm sure you were optimistic all of those Gus Bradley years as well.

Marone is a good coach and he was already in place as successor before Coughlin. It's impossible to say where the success came from, but going from Bradley to Marone is an upgrade no matter what.

25 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

I didn't want Bradley, but Coughlin isn't the one who fired him.  He wasn't even there yet. 

I would argue the Jags drafted better before Coughlin came around also.  A RB 4th overall is never good value.  Cam Robinson struggled last year.  Taven Bryan, meh.. we'll see.  DJ Chark in the 2nd wasn't a great pick either.

The draft before Coughlin came around was Ramsey, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue in the first 3 rounds.

32 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

I didn't want Bradley, but Coughlin isn't the one who fired him.  He wasn't even there yet. 

I would argue the Jags drafted better before Coughlin came around also.  A RB 4th overall is never good value.  Cam Robinson struggled last year.  Taven Bryan, meh.. we'll see.  DJ Chark in the 2nd wasn't a great pick either.

The draft before Coughlin came around was Ramsey, Myles Jack, Yannick Ngakoue in the first 3 rounds.

JAX was literally nothing before he arrived, was a perennial contender after he built them from nothing, was a laughingstock after they wrongly fired him, and just happened to have their best season since the last time he was in charge of personnel decisions. 

And Coughlin only won 2 SBs while away from JAX. 

Coincidence, I'm sure...

15 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

JAX was literally nothing before he arrived, was a perennial contender after he built them from nothing, was a laughingstock after they wrongly fired him, and just happened to have their best season since the last time he was in charge of personnel decisions. 

And Coughlin only won 2 SBs while away from JAX. 

Coincidence, I'm sure...

Yeah you're right he's so amazing he turned a 3 win team into an AFC championship team in 1 offseason.

I wasn't talking about the first time he was in Jax.  I'm talking about now.  His impact on the success of the 2017 Jaguars is extremely overblown.

6 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah you're right he's so amazing he turned a 3 win team into an AFC championship team in 1 offseason.

I wasn't talking about the first time he was in Jax.  I'm talking about now.  His impact on the success of the 2017 Jaguars is extremely overblown.

http://www.espn.com/blog/jacksonville-jaguars/post/_/id/24565/coughlin-impacted-jaguars-organization-from-the-moment-he-was-hired

and now, back to Fournette

He’s good, Norwell is gonna help, top 5 RB in standard leagues this year. 

3 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yeah what a horrible idea Coughlin had to build around the running game and defense.  I am sure the Jags would have been just as good without Fournette with their WR 1 tearing his ACL.  

Give me a break.  

Btw- there are running backs that have been worth a high pick historically speaking.  

1 hour ago, Iron-cock said:

Yeah what a horrible idea Coughlin had to build around the running game and defense.  I am sure the Jags would have been just as good without Fournette with their WR 1 tearing his ACL.  

Give me a break.  

Btw- there are running backs that have been worth a high pick historically speaking.  

The Jags went 3-0 without Fournette last season.  The Jags won those games 27-0, 23-7, and 45-7.

The point is this defense was built before Coughlin came around.  He added 2 players to it.  To be fair we don't even know whose idea it was to sign those players.

4 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

The Jags went 3-0 without Fournette last season.  The Jags won those games 27-0, 23-7, and 45-7.

The point is this defense was built before Coughlin came around.  He added 2 players to it.  To be fair we don't even know whose idea it was to sign those players.

Considering he has final say on all football decisions, he signed them. 

Your defense underachieved until they had a boss they feared. We'll see how long that fear lasts.

9 minutes ago, joshua18 said:

Your defense underachieved until they had a boss they feared. We'll see how long that fear lasts.

Yeah Doug Marrone.  Who was the coach before Coughlin arrived.

i hope this weight loss doesn't shoot his adp up a couple of spots

and who cares who built the jags. Either way i wouldn't ignore multiple key players that TC brought in, including CC, who was a serious DPOY candidate. 

2 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

this is a great example of how to horribly cherry pick stats. Who did y'all play those games? I'm gonna go ahead and guess some awful teams.

Like ooo how many games did the panthers win without greg olsen this year? Guys we don't need him

How many games did the pats win with matt cassel and no brady? 

27 minutes ago, Panthers8912 said:

this is a great example of how to horribly cherry pick stats. Who did y'all play those games? I'm gonna go ahead and guess some awful teams.

Like ooo how many games did the panthers win without greg olsen this year? Guys we don't need him

How many games did the pats win with matt cassel and no brady? 

Well if someone is going to say the Jags wouldn't have been good without Fournette I'm going to prove them wrong.  Teams that aren't good don't destroy other teams.  Regardless of who those teams are.

49 minutes ago, RMJ_12 said:

Well if someone is going to say the Jags wouldn't have been good without Fournette I'm going to prove them wrong.  Teams that aren't good don't destroy other teams.  Regardless of who those teams are.

A good defense and powerful running game go hand in hand. 

4 hours ago, RMJ_12 said:

Yes, they managed to beat TJ Yates, Brisset and Andy Dalton on one of his bad days without Fournette. 

Using your logic they should have sat Fournette all season, they would have gone 18-0!  

2 minutes ago, Iron-cock said:

Yes, they managed to beat TJ Yates, Brisset and Andy Dalton on one of his bad days without Fournette. 

Using your logic they should have sat Fournette all season, they would have gone 18-0!  

My logic?  My logic is that the Jaguars are a good team because of their defense.  A defense that was mostly built before Tom Coughlin came along.    They already had a ton of talent in place.  A coaching change is what turned this team around.

37 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

What's the knock on this guy? Injuries? Not enough usage in the passing game?

All I can figure is that people are worried about the foot injuries reoccurring. He did miss time last year because of it and it was an issue at LSU too.

45 minutes ago, tpat30 said:

What's the knock on this guy? Injuries? Not enough usage in the passing game?

Basically just stacked boxes and nagging injury concerns.  Volume alone keeps him in the top 10.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Leonard Fournette 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic
  • tonycpsu unlocked this topic

Archived