NBC Sports Edge Forums

Rex Burkhead 2018 Outlook

BrianM

Well, since I own White, I decided to pick up and stash on IR too. It can’t hurt to stash since he doesn’t take up a roster spot. And, it is possible either White or Sony get injured in week 12. Burk cannot come back to play until week 13 anyhow so my White is safe at least for that week. This is merely an insurance policy just in case. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, mpat15 said:

At Best-- He muddles the NE backfield into a 3 way non useable mess. 

At Worst--He is irrelevant and Sony and White Live on as co-existing RB2's. 

I think you have the Best and Worst backwards.

1 minute ago, mpat15 said:

At Best-- He muddles the NE backfield into a 3 way non useable mess. 

At Worst--He is irrelevant and Sony and White Live on as co-existing RB2's. 

Wrong (in your best Trump voice). At best Michel or White get injured and are out for an extended period of time, and Burkhead becomes a usable fantasy RB. If you have room, I believe he is worth a speculative add. I wouldn't start him unless Michel or White are injured OR we see consistent usage in one way or another. 

6 minutes ago, thirdeye said:

Wrong (in your best Trump voice). At best Michel or White get injured and are out for an extended period of time, and Burkhead becomes a usable fantasy RB. If you have room, I believe he is worth a speculative add. I wouldn't start him unless Michel or White are injured OR we see consistent usage in one way or another. 

Fair enough!

9 minutes ago, chief79 said:

I think you have the Best and Worst backwards.

In my case as a Sony owner who want to use him through the playoffs as a RB2...you are correct. In the Rex thread...I am correct lol. 

2 minutes ago, TennisMenace said:

I’m thinking he is of no use to me unless Sony gets hurt. I don’t really have the space to stash so I guess I will drop him. I’ve had him stashed for three weeks holding to see if either my White or Sony tear an ACL....but neither did. 

Sony got bent over awkwardly and looked as if season was done against Jets - then miracle man as if his name is Matt Breida returned and finished strong.  I'm holding this week to see what happens then dropping if all plays out as expected.

25 minutes ago, Damn Yankee said:

I have a bad feeling this is going to ruin the absolutely beautiful flex-thing I've got going with Sony in two of my leagues....Just in time for the playoffs of course.

Ponderous....

I agree....his return does not bode well for any owners of Patriot runners. Too bad....everything was so clear...

1 hour ago, RyanM915 said:

I have this guy on my team.. but I'm now wondering if he's worth holding over Justin Jackson, Spencer Ware and Chris Thompson.. seeing as how he's 1 of 3.. not just 1 of 2 waiting for an injury.

I just don't see the appeal with Burkhead unless Michel gets hurt.

It'll be Michel getting most of the carries with White playing passing downs and mixing in a few runs.  I see Burkhead as more of a handcuff for Sony owners than anything else.

4 minutes ago, tts42572 said:

I just don't see the appeal with Burkhead unless Michel gets hurt.

It'll be Michel getting most of the carries with White playing passing downs and mixing in a few runs.  I see Burkhead as more of a handcuff for Sony owners than anything else.

I dropped him. I’m just going to take my chances, seeing as how Michel is going to be my bench guy anyway, after this week. Burkhead is good insurance though for teams light at the position heading into the playoffs. One thing that may come up though is BB resting his top two a little bit and getting Burkhead some work since he’s been out awhile. 

1 minute ago, FitzMagic said:

I dropped him. I’m just going to take my chances, seeing as how Michel is going to be my bench guy anyway, after this week. Burkhead is good insurance though for teams light at the position heading into the playoffs. One thing that may come up though is BB resting his top two a little bit and getting Burkhead some work since he’s been out awhile. 

If you're in the playoffs it's probably worthwhile to roster him (if you have the space) so an opponent can't.  He probably won't amount to much this year but with the Pats you never know when BB will gameplan some player into a 30 point game. I'd rather have his butt firmly planted on my bench instead of randomly going off against me in the playoffs on another team as a desperation start.  I'll take my chances with the other team picking up and starting someone like Blount over Rex.  If it's obvious he's not getting any snaps at all in the next week or two then he's a safe drop. 

13 minutes ago, jumper said:

If you're in the playoffs it's probably worthwhile to roster him (if you have the space) so an opponent can't.  He probably won't amount to much this year but with the Pats you never know when BB will gameplan some player into a 30 point game. I'd rather have his butt firmly planted on my bench instead of randomly going off against me in the playoffs on another team as a desperation start.  I'll take my chances with the other team picking up and starting someone like Blount over Rex.  If it's obvious he's not getting any snaps at all in the next week or two then he's a safe drop. 

Most of the playoff teams would have to drop a good player. They’ve loaded up. Barring injury to Michel or White I don’t see Burk having a significant impact. He will vulture a few touches from both of them I’d imagine though. There are a couple of teams that could pick him up, but they’ve got depth and way better options than a Burkhead.

14 minutes ago, Pooskay said:

He's just a handcuff. Talk about over-hyping a thread...

And a timeshare cuff at that. If it were Ware it would be a different story. I kept Burkhead on my IR but that’s because he wasn’t costing a roster spot. Not a bad pickup if you have shares of Sony or White though and not much depth. He’s not nearly as good as Michel or White. He is just a Jack of all trades and master of none.

He's 100% worth owning, but he's nothing more than a cuff. Zero chance he has standalone value barring a Michel/White injury, but if one of them misses time you have a solid RB2. I'd much rather that than a WR4 that I'd never start.

2 minutes ago, BGDDYKWL said:

He's 100% worth owning, but he's nothing more than a cuff. Zero chance he has standalone value barring a Michel/White injury, but if one of them misses time you have a solid RB2. I'd much rather that than a WR4 that I'd never start.

If Michel starts for someone, you have a point. If he’s a bench guy there is no use cuffing him. I’d say Burkhead is a good add for 14-team and if you only have two or three RBs to begin with. It depends on how you like to play your flex.

23 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

If Michel starts for someone, you have a point. If he’s a bench guy there is no use cuffing him. I’d say Burkhead is a good add for 14-team and if you only have two or three RBs to begin with. It depends on how you like to play your flex.

You've gotta have one hell of a team to not be starting Michel. He's generally right around RB15 in the rankings each week. But yeah, if you're that loaded at RB there's not much need to cuff bench depth.

Archived