NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Seferian-Jenkins 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

I just can't when this offseason. First Lewis forms a RBBC with Henry, and now this. Hopefully ASJ becomes a HUGE red zone option, and he gets peppered with a lot of "opportunities," in this run-first offense as a chain mover. *the NYJ seemed to forget about him at times.

untitled.png

Edited by FollowTheLeader
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Dreams And Dwightmares said:

He had 24 receptions for 300 yards. 

What're you projecting for ASJ potential 2018 stats if he stays off drugs? 

I don't look at football stuff till July. I'm just saying, there are worse landing spots. Better ones too. I think he might still be useful.

On 3/16/2018 at 6:42 PM, dmb3684 said:

Lewis got 5 TDs last year and he is like 72. Why is this such a bad spot?

Yeah, but didn't he have 3 TD's in one game? NOBODY was starting Lewis last season. The Jags threw to their  3 TE's just 79 times last season. The only team with less targets to their TE was New Orleans with 63.

25 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

Yeah, but didn't he have 3 TD's in one game? NOBODY was starting Lewis last season. The Jags threw to their  3 TE's just 79 times last season. The only team with less targets to their TE was New Orleans with 63.

Perhaps because Lewis was never open?

8 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Perhaps because Lewis was never open?

Yeah, maybe. I thought is more due to the Jags switching to such a run heavy offense, but I agree that Lewis was an old stiff out there. Either way, I suspect the TE targets will rise a little, I just wonder how much.

Surely he'll get targeted more than Lewis, but if he can't block, he's going to miss a lot of snaps.  He's no different than a Charles Clay or Jared Cook to me in terms of fantasy.   

37 minutes ago, wonderbread said:

Yeah, maybe. I thought is more due to the Jags switching to such a run heavy offense, but I agree that Lewis was an old stiff out there. Either way, I suspect the TE targets will rise a little, I just wonder how much.

Not sure myself. ASJ will  be on my radar in the last rounds anyhow. If he sucks, will be an easy drop.

IMO, stop looking at past JAX TE production to project ASJ's JAX production.  He's not a TE.  He will line up as a receiver and run receiver routes.  Without Robinson, the only pass-catcher they have with any size to speak of is Monc.  This man is going to eat.

Edited by JJ1223
  • Like 2
55 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

IMO, stop looking at past JAX TE production to project ASJ's JAX production.  He's not a TE.  He will line up as a receiver and run receiver routes.  Without Robinson, the only pass-catcher they have with any size to speak of is Monc.  This man is going to eat.

With the release of Hurns ASJ and Moncrief appear to be the two most likely goalline targets. 

Really not sure on the volume though. 

3 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

With the release of Hurns ASJ and Moncrief appear to be the two most likely goalline targets. 

Really not sure on the volume though. 

With Bortle's... ahem... accuracy... I'd think they would want to throw to their targets with large catch radius more often.  Now, how often do NFL teams follow conventional wisdom such as that?  Rarely, if ever, but that's what I would do.

Summary: you're probably right.

A good guess is around 25 pass TD's for the season total for Jacksonville.   Fournette and Grant/Yeldon will get a couple at least, and the rest spread amongst Lee, Moncrief, Cole, Westbrook, and ASJ, with Niles Paul or Koyack likely getting a few since they'll be in on goalline plays.   If any single Jag catches more than 5 TD's I'd be surprised. 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, BrianM said:

A good guess is around 25 pass TD's for the season total for Jacksonville.   Fournette and Grant/Yeldon will get a couple at least, and the rest spread amongst Lee, Moncrief, Cole, Westbrook, and ASJ, with Niles Paul or Koyack likely getting a few since they'll be in on goalline plays.   If any single Jag catches more than 5 TD's I'd be surprised. 

Gimme the over! Not necessarily for ASJ, but there will be a Jags player with more than 5 TD receptions at the end of the season. 

• Like 1

Only one player topped 3 last year, and that was Lewis.   11 different guys caught TD's.   Moncrief is i guess your likeliest guy to get 6 or more, since nobody else on the current roster has ever been a TD hog.     Fournette should eat up the TD's if he's healthy.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, ajs723 said:

Gimme the over! Not necessarily for ASJ, but there will be a Jags player with more than 5 TD receptions at the end of the season. 

I'd also pound that over.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Austin Seferian-Jenkins 2018 Outlook
  • tonycpsu locked this topic