NBC Sports Edge Forums

Austin Seferian-Jenkins 2018 Outlook

Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

"According to First Coast News' Mike Kaye:
Austin Seferian-Jenkins and Blake Bortles have established a "strong connection" at OTAs. The two have regularly hooked up on "downfield lobs" with ASJ's ability to regularly get open down the seam of the defense being one of the ongoing features of OTAs. ASJ inked a two-year deal with Jacksonville in March, and following the release of Marcedes Lewis, should be an every-down player. Seferian-Jenkins has a decent shot at finishing as a top-12 fantasy tight end. Jun 6 - 10:50 AM"

I know :meh: it's only OTAs, but any positive news is a good thing :fingers-crossed: as ASJ is currently my top TE :yikes:

The TE position is the one I will be looking through the most rigorous this off season, given how thin the position is after Gronk, Kelce and Ertz.  I feel like if you take a guy after those 3, they have a chance to finish anywhere from like 4-15.  

ASJ is a deeper sleeper I have on my watch list as of now.  Last year, Marcedes Lewis got 24-318-5 in this offense.  ASJ went 50-357-3 with the Jets.  Not very exciting numbers, but if Jacksonville can throw the ball a little bit more to the TE, I can see something like 55-500-6.  Not crazy, but would have been the #11 TE last year in PPR.

Those numbers might even be a little high, given that would assume more than double catches from the TE last year.  I think my strategy at TE this year, assuming I don't get one of the big 3, is to probably just take 2 high upside TEs late in the draft.  I like Ben Watson, Mike Gesicki, ASJ, Vance McDonald, Jack Doyle as Round 10+ guys to target.

10 hours ago, Fort4242 said:

The TE position is the one I will be looking through the most rigorous this off season, given how thin the position is after Gronk, Kelce and Ertz.  I feel like if you take a guy after those 3, they have a chance to finish anywhere from like 4-15.  

ASJ is a deeper sleeper I have on my watch list as of now.  Last year, Marcedes Lewis got 24-318-5 in this offense.  ASJ went 50-357-3 with the Jets.  Not very exciting numbers, but if Jacksonville can throw the ball a little bit more to the TE, I can see something like 55-500-6.  Not crazy, but would have been the #11 TE last year in PPR.

Those numbers might even be a little high, given that would assume more than double catches from the TE last year.  I think my strategy at TE this year, assuming I don't get one of the big 3, is to probably just take 2 high upside TEs late in the draft.  I like Ben Watson, Mike Gesicki, ASJ, Vance McDonald, Jack Doyle as Round 10+ guys to target.

I had ASJ last year. He had like 3 TDs called back and dropped another 3 that were right in his hands. Dude should have had 3x as many TDs, frustrating. I think he bounces back and is a top 10 TE this year. Going from the Jets to an exciting, talented team has got to help him.

10 hours ago, Mr.STD said:

I had ASJ last year. He had like 3 TDs called back and dropped another 3 that were right in his hands. Dude should have had 3x as many TDs, frustrating. I think he bounces back and is a top 10 TE this year. Going from the Jets to an exciting, talented team has got to help him.

Yeah I'm a Jets fan so I know what you mean.  SOO frustrating last year with all of his overturned TDs.  Especially the one that should have put us in position to beat NE. 

11 hours ago, Mr.STD said:

Agreed.  I was a huge ASJ drum beater when he was a rookie, and I was owning him when nobody knew who he was.  Good workout metrics, has the basketball player skill set, etc.... pretty much like any of the breakout tight ends that we always research.

His career hasn't exactly taken off like I had hoped but I will have him on my deep sleeper list this year as well and his draft cost should be cheap.  As mentioned above though, how often does Jax use the tight end?  This is Fournette's show.  Perhaps losing Allen Robinson will give ASJ some more target opportunity, but who knows.

As an aside, I always read how people predict that "so an so will be a top 10/20 QB/RB/TE etc."  How is that good?  If you're in a ten team league, shouldn't your TE be a top 10 guy?  I want a guy who will be in the top 5, so better than average and not at the bottom.  Of course, that might come at greater draft cost especially for the top 3 guys.  But the key is to identify who will be #4 and #5 but still be a cheap bargain.  Is ASJ that guy this year?  I don't think so.

Edited by CooL
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...

LOL, got auto-drafted this guy in a best ball slow draft because I fell asleep and didn't enter a pick in time.

I see my post was the last one from over two months ago, so this guy hasn't generated much buzz despite what seems to be a promising rapport developing with Bortles.  Oh well, guess I'm hitched to him now and we'll see what happens!

• Haha 1
  • tonycpsu changed the title to Austin Seferian-Jenkins 2018 Outlook
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/7/2018 at 5:45 AM, Fort4242 said:

Yeah I'm a Jets fan so I know what you mean.  SOO frustrating last year with all of his overturned TDs.  Especially the one that should have put us in position to beat NE. 

I was starting ASJ much of the year in a deep dynasty league.  Several times he was awarded a TD only to have those 6 points ripped away from me.  He's not a closer but i could easily see 6-7 TD this year.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/25/2018 at 9:49 AM, fakespike said:

I was starting ASJ much of the year in a deep dynasty league.  Several times he was awarded a TD only to have those 6 points ripped away from me.  He's not a closer but i could easily see 6-7 TD this year.  

Another TD ripped away from him by a penalty. It's more than likely because I've had him on my team the last two years. If I bench him, a TD is almost guaranteed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...