NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Chris Owings 2018 Outlook

countseth

With the Souza injury, Owings might see more starts in the early going. 

With multi-position eligibility and no damage done to any particular stat, he’s got a solid floor and could help teams in 12-15 team leagues as a MI or extra OF. 

I’m thinking with 500+ ABs, he oughta be good for something like a 80-15-70-20-.270 line. 

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Wish this guy could take a walk - 17BB to 87K last year, and a .299 OBP. Woof

He could steal 30 bags and get a huge bump in counting stats if he just took some walks. 

4 BB/5K this spring!

• Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 8:58 AM, countseth said:

With the Souza injury, Owings might see more starts in the early going. 

With multi-position eligibility and no damage done to any particular stat, he’s got a solid floor and could help teams in 12-15 team leagues as a MI or extra OF. 

I’m thinking with 500+ ABs, he oughta be good for something like a 80-15-70-20-.270 line. 

Yeah, but does he get 500 AB? Neither RotoChamp nor Roster Resource has him starting, even after the Souza injury...at best a platoon situation with Dyson until Souza returns. He seems to be just a super-utility guy giving days off to guys periodically. Seems he might be best counted upon for ~300 ABs unless there is another injury or two. I just don't see a route to 500 ABs for him

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Yeah, but does he get 500 AB? Neither RotoChamp nor Roster Resource has him starting, even after the Souza injury...at best a platoon situation with Dyson until Souza returns. He seems to be just a super-utility guy giving days off to guys periodically. Seems he might be best counted upon for ~300 ABs unless there is another injury or two. I just don't see a route to 500 ABs for him

I agree with you partially.  There's no path to 500 AB currently.

Usually, I target skills rather than roles.  I have the luxury of fairly deep benches in most my leagues.  Most of those leagues are daily lineups too, so I can plug him in for good stats on days he plays, and put him on the bench when he doesn't.

As with most players, his value depends on your league's context, but for my leagues, he's looking to be somewhat valuable this year, considering his cost and the avenue to playing time as guys inevitably get injured and/or under-perform.

11 minutes ago, countseth said:

I agree with you partially.  There's no path to 500 AB currently.

Usually, I target skills rather than roles.  I have the luxury of fairly deep benches in most my leagues.  Most of those leagues are daily lineups too, so I can plug him in for good stats on days he plays, and put him on the bench when he doesn't.

As with most players, his value depends on your league's context, but for my leagues, he's looking to be somewhat valuable this year, considering his cost and the avenue to playing time as guys inevitably get injured and/or under-perform.

My two leagues are somewhat deep too. One is a 14-teamer that starts 20 and carries a bench of 8. My other is a 12-teamer that starts 22 and carries a bench of 8 with 2 NA slots. I have him in one league and am targeting him late in our slow draft in the other. I like his versatility and the potential if he is able to start 4-5 games a week. But Arz seems content to start Amed and Marte up the middle and let Owings be a 4th-5th OF and super-utility guy. Like I said, I feel safe counting on 300 ABs, but nothing past that. If he gets more, then that's gravy. 

• Like 1

I'm definitely on the Owing bandwagon, but 3B is most likely a pipe dream as he's never played a single game there in the Diamondbacks system. Most likely he'll end up at SS as I think he can easily outplay Ahmed, but even taking Marte's spot at 2B isn't out of the question.

Either way, plenty of opportunities and I'm eager to see what he does with them.

Owings is off to a great start with 7 R and 6 RBI through 8 games, but he's got to cut down on the Ks...he's on pace for nearly 200 at this point. 

My question is what Souza's return will mean for Owings' PT. Six of his 8 games have been played in RF, and that will change when Souza returns. Maybe he puts Marte on the bench, but I wouldn't be so sure about that. Seems like after Souza returns, we'll have to wait for a Pollack/Peralta/Marte/Ahmed injury for him to get regular PT.