NBC Sports Edge Forums

Worst Fantasy Advice You Acted On?

Sorta the opposite of Cool Story Bro (Fool Story Bro?). 

What is the worst advice you took and ran with for fantasy baseball?

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 1
12 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Listened to a guy in bench coach and traded kershaw for Curtis granderson, Pedro Alvarez and Brandon Wood

Last week I took his advice .. I traded Madison Bumgarner for Jake Lamb & Justin Bour ... winner winner

9 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Last week I took his advice .. I traded Madison Bumgarner for Jake Lamb & Justin Bour ... winner winner

Sometimes it is better to be lucky than be good.

• Like 1

Back in '09 I drafted Mark Reynolds in my highly competitive home league. We drafted earlier than usual and in the following three weeks I heard several comments that he wouldn't stick at third, could be platooned, or might just be a bench bat. Meanwhile in ST he committed 7-8 errors in in the next two weeks. I acted. A day or so before the season started I traded him for Jose Guillen. Of course Reynolds played all season at 3rd while going 44/24/.260

By some good fortune, I won on the final day of the season by a half point despite my preseason panicked foolishness.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Listened to a guy in bench coach and traded kershaw for Curtis granderson, Pedro Alvarez and Brandon Wood

Any post about Rush 2112 who literally haunts the Bench Coach forum deep at night with one sentence posts to get rid of all pitchers is a plus post for me.  Also thanks to Welcome to My House for same too.

Sad thing is I've seen new to the forums and new to fantasy baseball posters taking his advice seriously.  They see he has like 50 billion posts here and think he is some fantasy baseball savant instead of a troll.  Then they follow some of his advice about dumping pitching always and disaster ensues for them.  He has probably turned more innocent people just getting started into fantasy baseball off to same than anyone else on planet earth.

• Like 4
  • Haha 4
2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Any post about Rush 2112 who literally haunts the Bench Coach forum deep at night with one sentence posts to get rid of all pitchers is a plus post for me.  Also thanks to Welcome to My House for same too.

Sad thing is I've seen new to the forums and new to fantasy baseball posters taking his advice seriously.  They see he has like 50 billion posts here and think he is some fantasy baseball savant instead of a troll.  Then they follow some of his advice about dumping pitching always and disaster ensues for them.  He has probably turned more innocent people just getting started into fantasy baseball off to same than anyone else on planet earth.

I once saw him recommend keeping Alcides Escobar over Chris Sale. This was not when the latter was a young up and comer. It was either last year or the year before, I don't recall.

• Haha 2

In my 2nd year playing fantasy, being advised to accept a trade for a ( at the time ) mid round OF over a touted rookie.

And that’s how I ended up trading Mike Trout for BJ Upton in a league that had one Keeper per team.

• Haha 1

This was years ago and it was injury reports, not specific fantasy advice per se, but I drafted Robb Nen over Gagne at closer. Gagne had a historic season and Nen never pitched in MLB again. 

EDIT: Oh yeah after Goldschmidt's first partial MLB season, I wanted to keep him, but all the reports said he just wasn't gonna end up being that good so I didn't keep him. Kept BJ Upton instead. D'oh! 

Edited by Wubbie075

I avoided judge last year due to some schlubs on the radio saying he has holes in his swing.

this is my 22nd year of playing fantasy baseball.  Trying to think of the worst non trade advice I’ve had.  Probably just taking certain strategies and not being able to properly apply them due to not understanding them...  Or maybe they just suck.  

• Like 1

I was advised by a friend of mine who was a college pitcher at the time, to trade MadBum away in his rookie season because he would never be that good. In return I got a closer who's name I cant even remember. I learned a good lesson that I'll never forget. Research as much as possible to gain as MANY worthwhile opinions as possible and then make your OWN decision. 

• Like 1