NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Ezekiel Elliott 2018 Outlook

Arrowhead

1 hour ago, Gage said:
Cowboys coach Jason Garrett revealed Monday that Ezekiel Elliott is playing through knee and ankle injuries.

Elliott has been spotted limping around the field sporadically over the last two weeks, and Garrett confirmed he has a minor ankle sprain and bursitis in his knee. Zeke has played 89% of Dallas' 2018 offensive snaps. Garrett did state the Cowboys are "optimistic" Elliott will play in Week 5 against the Texans. In the meantime, Rod Smith should be added in all fantasy leagues. Oct 1 - 5:23 PM

Optimistic? What the hell? That's a little worrisome.

Banged up, should play Week 5

Owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Tuesday that Elliott (knee, ankle) is "banged up, but not to the extent" he won't be able to play Sunday in Houston, Jon Machota of The Dallas Morning News reports.

Analysis: Elliott emerged from a Week 4 win against the Lions with knee bursitis and a sore ankle, the result of a hefty workload. Referencing the 25 carries and four catches from that contest, Jones added, "I do want that kind of workload for him." In the end, Elliott compiled a career-high 240 yards from scrimmage and tacked on his third touchdown of the season. Wednesday's injury report will give the first indication whether the knee and ankle woes will impact his activity level during Week 5 prep.

• Thanks 1

Cowboys coaches (if you can really call them that) need to give Zeke more targets. Dak and the receivers are so putrid it’s unreal. He’s faced some insanely stacked boxes last week and predictable playcalling did not help at all. I’m pretty concerned about when they play Jax and Philly twice.

Just now, sSektor said:

Cowboys coaches (if you can really call them that) need to give Zeke more targets. Dak and the receivers are so putrid it’s unreal. He’s faced some insanely stacked boxes last week and predictable playcalling did not help at all. I’m pretty concerned about when they play Jax and Philly twice.

Jacksonville is in the AFC South. They won't be playing the Cowboys more than once.

6 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Zeke is the best passing game threat on the team and it isn't close

Has anyone heard an update on his health following the Houston game?  He limped off after taking a helmet to the knee toward the end.  

I know he came back, but just wanna make sure it’s not something more serious than first thought.  I figured we’d get a practice update today, but I haven’t seen one.

2 hours ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Has anyone heard an update on his health following the Houston game?  He limped off after taking a helmet to the knee toward the end.  

I know he came back, but just wanna make sure it’s not something more serious than first thought.  I figured we’d get a practice update today, but I haven’t seen one.

Full practice today 

https://mobile.twitter.com/HelmanDC/status/1050118620729229319?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fd-13226501794100233982.ampproject.net%2F1810052256480%2Fframe.html

• Thanks 1

Real tough matchup for Elliot this week vs Jax. I'm curious where you guys drafted him this year. I took him 4th and I'm really regretting passing on Barkley, that dude is a stud. I know Zeke had that big game two weeks ago, but I don't see him having many of those games where he wins you a week. This Cowboy's offense is just dreadful. He has hardly any scoring opportunities.

Do you guys think Barkley is a much better back than Elliot? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Giant's offensive line supposed to be pretty poor? Yet this guy is tearing it up. Is it because they OBJ to take the focus off Barkley? I feel like any team facing the Cowboys, literally their game plan must be to just shut down Zeke. There is nobody else on that team that's a threat.

43 minutes ago, RoseLin23 said:

Real tough matchup for Elliot this week vs Jax. I'm curious where you guys drafted him this year. I took him 4th and I'm really regretting passing on Barkley, that dude is a stud. I know Zeke had that big game two weeks ago, but I don't see him having many of those games where he wins you a week. This Cowboy's offense is just dreadful. He has hardly any scoring opportunities.

Do you guys think Barkley is a much better back than Elliot? Because, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the Giant's offensive line supposed to be pretty poor? Yet this guy is tearing it up. Is it because they OBJ to take the focus off Barkley? I feel like any team facing the Cowboys, literally their game plan must be to just shut down Zeke. There is nobody else on that team that's a threat.

I think it's clear that Barkley is better at this point. Or at least the Giants have more weapons to keep teams honest, plus Barkley is more effective as a pass catcher. I wouldn't beat yourself up - no one could predict that Barkley would be so good or Zeke relatively ineffective. 

THe other issue with Zeke is the O line. They used to be a major strength and selling point and now they're below average. Just take solace that, health permitting, the volume will always be there so the floor is high. 

Having said that, I'm not against selling. But for what? Kareem Hunt? 

2 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

Man, what? Zeke is leading the league in rushing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Took Zeke at 3. Could have Todd Gurley who fell to 4 in out draft, but I wanted Zeke from  the beginning bc I liked him the most.

If you are the only good player on your team it's hard to produce, but I think the Cowboys Offense will adapt throughout the season and implement Zeke more in the passing game.

In the end i don't think Zeke and Saquon will finish too far apart.

Look at it like this: You could have been the one who draftet Bell or DJ :lol:

2 hours ago, Gandalfthecat said:

I think it's clear that Barkley is better at this point. Or at least the Giants have more weapons to keep teams honest, plus Barkley is more effective as a pass catcher. I wouldn't beat yourself up - no one could predict that Barkley would be so good or Zeke relatively ineffective. 

THe other issue with Zeke is the O line. They used to be a major strength and selling point and now they're below average. Just take solace that, health permitting, the volume will always be there so the floor is high. 

Having said that, I'm not against selling. But for what? Kareem Hunt? 

lol. For Hunt? Zeke is probably the best fantasy RB after Gurley and Barkley.  Kamara is crashing back to earth.

Edited by ponchsox

Doesn't really matter if Saquon is a better fantasy back at this point. Your first couple of picks very rarely are the deciding factors in your FF league. Elliott's fantasy points are, like, exactly what you'd expect from him, so if your draft went well elsewhere then you're in great shape. Barkley just has had slightly more touchdown luck.

3 hours ago, RoseLin23 said:

As big of a Saquon fan that I am, I also own Zeke in that same league (CSB team name: Big 10 Big Boy Club), I buy and agree that it's a lack of weapons for the Cowboys. I mean Zeke's rookie season he had a decent Dez Bryant (WR2 numbers?) and Jason Witten for defenses to worry about.

I love the fantasy points he gives my teams but he has to be one of the laziest players on the field.

I get so sick of seeing him just sand around when he doesn't have the ball. There were two runs by Dak in particular where Zeke just watched him run even through he was in perfect position to throw a block.

He just looks like he could care less about the success of his teammates and only cares when he has the ball. 

IF dak keeps running, Zekes numbers are gonna blow up. It’s a known fact that rbs do better with a running qb(Evan Silva mentions it every time). Williams, the rookie lg, is getting better every game and with a semblance of a passing game + daks rushing, Zeke is going to be putting up the monster numbers we expected.

Edited by ellie826

4 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Cowboys offense showing signs of life against the Jags is great for Zeke. If they trade for Amari Cooper or a comparable receiver things could open up even more.

Yeah where the heck did that game come from? Looked like a completely different team. Yeah Beasley looked great but they need a guy who can be an outside threat. I think ideally I'd want someone bigger/taller than Cooper (he isn't much of a RZ threat) although his ability to stretch the field would add a much needed dimension to this offense. 

2 minutes ago, Jaw1 said:

Yeah where the heck did that game come from? Looked like a completely different team. Yeah Beasley looked great but they need a guy who can be an outside threat. I think ideally I'd want someone bigger/taller than Cooper (he isn't much of a RZ threat) although his ability to stretch the field would add a much needed dimension to this offense. 

Literally any remotely talented WR that can threaten the defense would help. Nobody is afraid of Beasley, Hurns, and a deer in headlights rookie Gallup.