NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

16 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

has there ever been something done to show closers numbers in April? it feels like there are always closers in April that suck over and over and over and over. might as well just sit most closers in April until the dust settles and things are better in May.

I'd bet closers as a whole are quite a bit worse in April than they are in August/September.  I don't have the numbers, but anecdotally a lot of non-elite relievers seem to really fluctuate in their performance from year to year.  I think this is one reason we see so much turnover in the closer role.

In April, a lot of closers are still riding on last year's performance.  Towards the end of the year the cream rises to the top.

I'd suspect the reason for the fluctuation is that most closers only pitch around 60 innings, which is really like 2 months of pitching for a starter and may just be too small of a sample size.

Edited by kittenmittons
  • Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

Michael Feliz is a stud closer in waiting if the Pirates give him a chance (and Rivero can’t figure things out).

The guy who faced four batters and couldn’t get an out today?

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Diaz' HBPs were not real egregious.  IIRC, one was just a little up and in where the batter didn't exactly make much effort to get out of the way.

The second, they actually had to review.  Think it just grazed the jersey.

All that to say, it's not like he was just all over the place with his control.  At least not more so than normal.

I'll give you your first point.

My point is for Diaz to be 'normal' with his control would not be desirable, at least not at home.

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

You forgot that he gave up 3 hits and 4 runs. Career stats of 5.13 ERA doesn't look good. Although 1.36 WHIP and 172 K of 121 IP is respectable.

8 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Wasnt watching and didn’t look at the box score. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Thanks 1

Womp womp

Pat Neshek - R -  Phillies

Phillies placed RHP Pat Neshek on the 10-day disabled list with a right shoulder strain.

Neshek was ruled unavailable on Thursday because of the injury, and the Phillies have decided to put the All-Star reliever on the disabled list rather than wait out the injury. He should be back with the Phillies by the middle of April, but Philadelphia could choose to be cautious with the 37-year-old right-hander.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Can't even finish the inning.  Threw so many pitches, he won't be available tomorrow either.

Nearly every fastball looked exactly the same.  High and outside to right handed batters.

Frustrating to watch.

Yeah that was a rough watch, the one he completely missed everything.  Just didnt seem to finish, I mean make an adjusment and miss in and find the medium, but the same spot over and over, that is the one that will drive coaches BS crazy.  

2 minutes ago, parrothead said:

Yeah that was a rough watch, the one he completely missed everything.  Just didnt seem to finish, I mean make an adjusment and miss in and find the medium, but the same spot over and over, that is the one that will drive coaches BS crazy.  

He did threw a fastball for a strike but that ended up as a double by James McCann. Rough outing nonetheless.

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Gotta admit I’m worried about getting a save opp right now. Was kinda hoping he’d blow it ?

Yeah the way things are going I'm gun shy too. Maybe WAS will get a couple insurance runs to make it 3-0 going into the bottom 9...

Just now, Silverdome_Loyal said:

O’Day (spec add in competitive save leagues) ... Strickland 4 sure if he’s there (gotta dig a RP who beams Harper on purpose)

O'Day add might be a bit premature, they stuck with Brach last season even if he wasn't that great closing. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Wasnt watching and didn’t look at the box score. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

For whatever its worth, he was sitting 96, but he didn't throw many strikes, didn't get any whiffs and threw nothing but fastballs. 17 straight of them in fact.