Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

Dodgers’ beat writers also note that it’s odd Jansen didn’t pitch the 9th. They don’t know why yet. FYI Fields pitched the last 2 nights.

Edited by meh2
1 hour ago, David Aames said:

wasnt the game tied though?

Closers come in tie games in the top of the 9th when at home because at that point a save opportunity can no longer arise. You either win by walk off or lose. 

• Like 1

Anyone feel that Bedrosian gained some trust after his four out save in Houston? His velo has been returning. I watched the game and he was spotting his pitches pretty well. Broadcasters were commenting on how well he was staying balanced thru his delivery. 

• Like 1

3 run lead in the 8th for houston

Giles pitched yesterday albeit only 8 pitches in his one inning

8-9-1 due up in the 8th - ONE LHB

2-3-4 due up for the Save opp - ALL RHB

could be very telling here for us........

Edited by kmoore1521
10 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Anyone feel that Bedrosian gained some trust after his four out save in Houston? His velo has been returning. I watched the game and he was spotting his pitches pretty well. Broadcasters were commenting on how well he was staying balanced thru his delivery. 

Like, he might be next in line? Sure.  But Parker has sucked and Johnson is nowhere close, so he was already next in line.

1 minute ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Like, he might be next in line? Sure.  But Parker has sucked and Johnson is nowhere close, so he was already next in line.

Not necessarily next in line. You know how Sociopath likes to mix things up. I’ve always felt he would rather have Cam in that role long term. Just something to monitor moving forward I guess. 

16 hours ago, evillaw4eva said:

Yay, Giles pitching down a run in the 9th...

I put yesterday's loss on Hinch.

With the bullpen depth they have there was no reason not too give Giles the 7th up one run vs LAA.  Then go to Peacock/Harris/Devenski to close it out. 

Instead the worst reliever in the pen ijn Joe Smith is allowed to give up 4 runs and blow the lead.

Just terrible decision making by Hinch.

2 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Not necessarily next in line. You know how Sociopath likes to mix things up. I’ve always felt he would rather have Cam in that role long term. Just something to monitor moving forward I guess. 

I've been watching Parker since spring training as a dynasty owner that rode him down the stretch last year. 

He's been terrible all year and shouldn't be trusted in a close game.

3 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Does Scioscia really like to “mix things up” though? I think this is a misnomer. Scioscia has had shotty bullpens and has bounced around from Street, to Cam , to whoever else, looking for a closer. But once he found a guy doing the job, didn’t he stick with him?

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Does Scioscia really like to “mix things up” though? I think this is a misnomer. Scioscia has had shotty bullpens and has bounced around from Street, to Cam , to whoever else, looking for a closer. But once he found a guy doing the job, didn’t he stick with him?

I brought this up about 90 pages ago.  I believe you are correct.  People envision Scioscia as a loose cannon drawing names out of a hat as to who is coming out of the bullpen in the 9th, when in fact he's just a schlubby guy who wants consistency.  

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, atrium said:

Time to drop Devenski?

It's a matchup dependent closer situation. He won't be as valuable as a guy that owns the role, but he could get like 15 SV with K and ratio boost second only to Hader. IMO that plays in a lot of formats. 

Just now, Baur10 said:

It's a matchup dependent closer situation. He won't be as valuable as a guy that owns the role, but he could get like 15 SV with K and ratio boost second only to Hader. IMO that plays in a lot of formats

Andrew Miller takes offense at this statement.