NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Just now, My Dinner With Andre said:

To be fair, he never really did anything to win it either...

True, but until he blows a few i can't see him losing it Minter got touched for 2 runs 2 outings ago

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

1 minute ago, azeri98 said:

True, but until he blows a few i can't see him losing it Minter got touched for 2 runs 2 outings ago

Well Snitker just said last night that he is going to use Minter in save opps more often now when matchups permit so we'll see how it plays out. At the very least this looks like it could be similar to the Giles/Devenski situation in Houston. Both need to be owned right now.

For those of you thinking of dropping Rodney keep in mind that at the end of April last year he had a 12.60 ERA. Over the next 2 months, opposing hitters went 2 for 63 and he didn't allow a single earned run. Now also bear in mind that I'm not a Rodney owner this year so I could also just be writing that because I hope owners of him in my leagues keep trotting him out there! 

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, jfazz23 said:

looks like bud norris lost his job???

Wouldnt say that just yet

he came in for the 8th with the mets better hitters due up down 1 run gotta think that was by design and holland got the weaker hitters

however with holland looking better the lines are getting more blurred by the day

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Wouldnt say that just yet

he came in for the 8th with the mets better hitters due up down 1 run gotta think that was by design and holland got the weaker hitters

however with holland looking better the lines are getting more blurred by the day

Holland has come in in the 9th in a tie game (in a usual closer spot) twice in a row and done well.  Just a few days ago their manager said Holland was close to ready to close.

It's really not that blurry anymore

Edited by The Waker
1 minute ago, The Waker said:

Holland has come in in the 9th in a tie game (in a usual closer spot) twice in a row and done well.  Just a few days ago their manager said Holland was close to ready.

Until we legit see Holland in a save opp I wouldnt drop norris is what im referencing by saying "Blurry" as norris has looked good (obv holland is looking better too)

so we are slowly moving to Holland but thats whats everyone has said anyway and it has been known, but again, gotta see it first before proclaiming anything for certain is my point

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Holland has come in in the 9th in a tie game (in a usual closer spot) twice in a row and done well.  Just a few days ago their manager said Holland was close to ready to close.

Norris was unavailable Tuesday so don’t read too much into Holland coming in then. Holland has looked better lately though so wouldn’t surprise me if he took over soon. Norris has been lights out though. He’s averaging nearly 2 k’s an inning.

For those of you saying Holland is no doubt the guy let's not crown him yet until he converts a couple clean saves. Now I'll admit I do own Norris but I am realistic in seeing that it's trending toward Holland taking over very soon. However, that doesn't mean think Norris is droppable yet. I'm holding onto him until I see Holland convert a few clean opps. I have seen crazier things happen in the Game of Saves so I think it would be wise to do the same. 

• Like 4
2 minutes ago, Helms said:

Norris was unavailable Tuesday so don’t read too much into Holland coming in then. Holland has looked better lately though so wouldn’t surprise me if he took over soon. Norris has been lights out though. He’s averaging nearly 2 k’s an inning.

He's given up a run in 3 of the last 7 games and 3 of 5 of his last save opportunities.  Not terrible by any stretch but certainly not "lights out".

Side note with the Norris stuff.......

Finger ready to drop Norris for Reed on Minny once clarification on holland taking over finally comes to fruition 

rodney just needs to ride off into the sunset already..........sheesh

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, The Waker said:

He's given up a run in 3 of the last 7 games and 3 of 5 of his last save opportunities.  Not terrible by any stretch but certainly not "lights out".

He has a 2.19 era and a 1.1 whip to go along with 15+ k/9. He’s converted all his save opps too.

Edited by Helms
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

Side note with the Norris stuff.......

Finger ready to drop Norris for Reed on Minny once clarification on holland taking over finally comes to fruition 

rodney just needs to ride off into the sunset already..........sheesh

I agree about Rodney but I would honestly be surprised if Rodney gets booted from the closers gig. 

1 minute ago, LeftyNYC said:

Picking up Reed just Incase! 

Yeah i jumped ship from Norris to Reed. Don’t even feel very good about my decision, lol. Just the directions things seem to be trending in, but they could both end up being wrong. 

Personally don’t think Stl cares that much where they use Holland, but what do I know

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Gandalfthecat said:

They do have a ready-made replacement in Ramos and Calloway doesn't seem afraid to make tough calls. 

That's 3 blown saves now. I hope you're right. Just sayin'. 

Lagares misplayed the line drive to center by Martinez. Think he might have lost it in the sun. Familia has run into some bad luck blown saves. Still has strong ratios 

• Like 2

Is it better to be proactive or reactive in chasing saves, I wonder.

If you're proactive, and pick up "prospective" closers, and anticipate changes, you may never end up being right, despite your efforts, and never book any saves.

And if you're reactive you may be too slow to any and all of the changes.

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread for this post.