NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Familia has a 1.93 ERA, 2.12 FIP and is tied for the NL lead in saves. His 3 blown saves have all been tough situations.

Ramos is not pitching nearly as well as Familia, walking almost a batter per inning. Gsellman would be the threat but I'm not sure if closing is how the Mets want to use him.

Edited by SpartyOn4
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Is it better to be proactive or reactive in chasing saves, I wonder.

If you're proactive, and pick up "prospective" closers, and anticipate changes, you may never end up being right, despite your efforts, and never book any saves.

And if you're reactive you may be too slow to any and all of the changes.

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread for this post.

Personally I'm a closer snob. I don't chase saves in garbage situations. I'm proactive about picking up really good setup men who I think could excel if they became closers. If they do, great. If they don't, they'll at least help my ratios.

9 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Is it better to be proactive or reactive in chasing saves, I wonder.

If you're proactive, and pick up "prospective" closers, and anticipate changes, you may never end up being right, despite your efforts, and never book any saves.

And if you're reactive you may be too slow to any and all of the changes.

Sorry if this isn't the correct thread for this post.

Depends on the league most times. In the leagues I’m in there’s no such thing as reactive save pick ups, so throw a lot of darts and hope you hit on some. 

25 minutes ago, nittanychris said:

Rodney is hideous. The Twins were foolish to sign him at all. Reed is the closer inside of 2 weeks if they have any sense left at all. 

This happens literally every year and yet every year he stays the closer and comes back the next season as a closer.

It's puzzling really. 

2 minutes ago, herschel said:

Nate Jones safe to drop?

League dependant.  Soria is getting the opps lately.  But it wouldn't shock me at all to see Jones get some too, much like half the other closer situations this year.  

But Soria is still getting more than a K/ip, and hasnt given up much so far.  He ain't dead yet.  

30 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

League dependant.  Soria is getting the opps lately.  But it wouldn't shock me at all to see Jones get some too, much like half the other closer situations this year.  

But Soria is still getting more than a K/ip, and hasnt given up much so far.  He ain't dead yet.  

What do you you mean Soria’s getting the opps “lately”? This is the first opp he has had since he blew the save on the 5th of April; isn’t it? 

Nate Jones has had 1 opp the entire season (April 11th), which he converted. I’m been carrying him as well since that point when it was speculated  he may take over.

One thing is for certain in all of this. That team has been playing poorly enough, that it’s been few and far between.

6 hours ago, lyricist0 said:

What do you you mean Soria’s getting the opps “lately”? This is the first opp he has had since he blew the save on the 5th of April; isn’t it? 

Nate Jones has had 1 opp the entire season (April 11th), which he converted. I’m been carrying him as well since that point when it was speculated  he may take over.

One thing is for certain in all of this. That team has been playing poorly enough, that it’s been few and far between.

I don't argue semantics.  It's April. It's all lately.  Point remains 

Rodney losing his job is always fun to talk about but the man just wont be denied.

With that said, if it does happen it may be worth keeping an eye on Ryan Pressly who is sporting a 12.5 k/9 rate with a cool .85 whip through 13 innings. He finished the second half last year with a .99 whip through 33 innings with a k/9 of 8.1.

9 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Morrow rocking the 0.00 era. He's been quietly solid so far

Actually I'd say he's been quietly iffy so far: Still very early but his SwStrk% is basically half what it was last year. That's frightening stuff. Groundballs are up though. Maybe the Cubbies have had him approach hitters differently? Idk. But there are some warning signs emerging...

To be sure, I'll gladly take the 0.00 ERA and 5-5 in sv opps

Edited by My Dinner With Andre
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Indeed. Probably because the whole premise of a closer is based on an arbitrary, made-up statistic.

Agreed. 

But since most leagues use it,   most people follow it more closely than we should and it becomes an obsession that makes my head spin.

Edited by Brooklyn Dude
7 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Any chatter out of MIN regarding at least a brief respite for the Rodster?

Was wondering the same thing. Ryan Pressley hasn't been scored upon in 13 innings so far (along with 18 K's). Seems like a reasonable candidate to replace Rodney.