Jump to content
NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, Ragnaroker said:

Barraclough closing out Marlins game up 4-1

 

But the Marlins also have 2 guys warming up in the pen as well.

 

My trigger finger is itching here but want to hear post game comments...

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mudrummer said:

Announcers said it was his third day pitching in a row - wondering if the Marlins wanted to see if he had that ability - looked prettt good all things considered.

 

He pitched an inning yesterday but hadn't pitched before that since the 23rd.

 

The line is pretty but he threw a ton of balls and got lucky with a couple bad calls outside the zone. I think he can be effective if he keeps the walks in check.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 9703 said:

Ziegler still the closer according to Mattingly. Said he wasn’t feeling 100% today.

I don't think very many people that have had the misfortune of seeing him pitch this season have felt 100% those days either...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mudrummer said:

Announcers said it was his third day pitching in a row - wondering if the Marlins wanted to see if he had that ability - looked prettt good all things considered.

 

It's two in a row, not three.  And in those two outings:

10 batters faced

five strikeouts

three walks

one HBP

one ground ball

 

He has faced 50 batters this year.  19 have put the ball in play (plus two home runs).  He's my new TTO god.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is the RW guy joking here?  Swarzak is on the DL.  Would most likely be Ramos who would vulture saves for as long as Familia is out.

 

Jeurys Familia will not be with the team Sunday to attend a ceremony for the passing of his father-in-law.

He's expected to be away for a few days, which is the reason he was used in a lopsided loss to the Padres on Saturday. Anthony Swarzak is the most likely option to close games for the Mets while Familia is away.
 
 
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Weighing in on boxberger, he looked pretty sharp until that zim at bat. He fell victim to a veteran hitter fouling off pitches and he got gassed but worked through it and got a save. That’s what good closers do so I actually think it’s a positive. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Carlos Correa said:

Vizcaino with a good 9th, Minter couldn't even make it through the 8th.

Yeah so many around here were trying to get out in front on Minter, but I still don't see. I think the ATL manager will mix and match (like Hinch in HOU) based on handedness of guys due up, but that's the extent of it. It will be Viz's show most nights and this team is better than was predicted. I know Viz can get wild at times, but his stuff is up. Nice midrange closer right now.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, swingbatter said:

Is the RW guy joking here?  Swarzak is on the DL.  Would most likely be Ramos who would vulture saves for as long as Familia is out.

 

Jeurys Familia will not be with the team Sunday to attend a ceremony for the passing of his father-in-law.

He's expected to be away for a few days, which is the reason he was used in a lopsided loss to the Padres on Saturday. Anthony Swarzak is the most likely option to close games for the Mets while Familia is away.
 
 

 

As a Mets fan, I believe that Callaway would play matchups in Familia's absence.  Ramos has been walking a lot of people lately so I wouldn't be too quick to anoint him as Familia's temporary replacement.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

 

It's two in a row, not three.  And in those two outings:

10 batters faced

five strikeouts

three walks

one HBP

one ground ball

 

He has faced 50 batters this year.  19 have put the ball in play (plus two home runs).  He's my new TTO god.

 

 

In the theme of TTO pitchers, is anyone looking at Tayron Guerrero of FLA as a deep sleeper?

 

98.8 MPH on the fastball this year, up from 95.7 in his last stint in the majors two years ago

63 batters faced

25 Ks

9 BB

1 HR

1 HBP

only 27 balls actually put in play.

 

I realize we are playing a game of "small sample size theater" here, but last year in the minors he pitched 36 innings with 40 Ks and 29 (!!!) BB.  Is there anything to see here, or just another flamethrower with no command?

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Ben Edelman said:

 

In the theme of TTO pitchers, is anyone looking at Tayron Guerrero of FLA as a deep sleeper?

 

98.8 MPH on the fastball this year, up from 95.7 in his last stint in the majors two years ago

63 batters faced

25 Ks

9 BB

1 HR

1 HBP

only 27 balls actually put in play.

 

I realize we are playing a game of "small sample size theater" here, but last year in the minors he pitched 36 innings with 40 Ks and 29 (!!!) BB.  Is there anything to see here, or just another flamethrower with no command?

His movement on ALL pitches is insanely gnarly. I really do not think he has any clue where it's going. He's great, but I think they'd be nuts to handle him any sort of role with high leverage...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

His movement on ALL pitches is insanely gnarly. I really do not think he has any clue where it's going. He's great, but I think they'd be nuts to handle him any sort of role with high leverage...

 

This.

 

I've been following him for a few years.  He really got on my radar when I saw him in ST with the Padres.  Great arm but needs to throw more strikes.  Good acquisition for a rebuilding franchise like Miami but no need to force him to n the closer role anytime soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...