NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

2 hours ago, 9703 said:

There’s been a lot of chatter about the Angels situation, and stashing Bedrosian in case Middleton fails.

What about Justin Anderson? Just saw him on Sunday Night Baseball for the first time, and his stuff looks really good.

As an Angel fan I do agree he looks good. Solid velocity. But I think people are choosing Bedrosian only because he has some experience in the closer role and was favored prior to this season to compete with Parker for the closer spot. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

8 hours ago, CorreaTown said:

Kimbrel one out from a W

Edit - Gets it, GOAT

Actually that was 4 outs.  He came in with 2 out in the top of the 8th.  Red Sox grabbed the lead in the bottom of the 8th so he pitched top of the 9th and got the Win vs the Save because they don't give stats for both in a game.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
8 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

What’s going on in Tampa? Colome comes in for the 8th inning and gets hit around again, and supposed next in line romo has an era of 7

Alvarado & Roe are better stashes than Romo.

Didn't see it noted anywhere in here yet, but Melancon transferred to the 60-day DL.  This might be more of a roster shell game move than him having a setback, but it also means he can't come back until May 25th at the earliest.  That tells me that at the very least they know there's a lot of rehab to do here.  And at worst it could mean he's started throwing and things aren't a whole lot better.

Mine is a saves hawk league and really considering adding Alvarado as Colome still looks like toast, but don't really have a free spot. Is there any chance they make the move soon?

Also in Baltimore in O'Day the guy to roster now instead of Bad Brach?

23 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Mine is a saves hawk league and really considering adding Alvarado as Colome still looks like toast, but don't really have a free spot. Is there any chance they make the move soon?

Also in Baltimore in O'Day the guy to roster now instead of Bad Brach?

Kevin Cash is insanely faithful, so I cannot see him making a move here unless Colome is consistently failing for another month or so. When we talk about the 2-3 managers with the longest veteran leashes, Cash is in that conversation.

Yes, O'Day seems to be the guy right now. Brach is struggling in middle relief right now, so regardless of whether O'Day is a good option or not, there isn't much reason to own Brach in a Saves only league (or most formats with Holds even).

• Like 1
45 minutes ago, oswald737 said:

Kevin Cash is insanely faithful, so I cannot see him making a move here unless Colome is consistently failing for another month or so. When we talk about the 2-3 managers with the longest veteran leashes, Cash is in that conversation.

Yes, O'Day seems to be the guy right now. Brach is struggling in middle relief right now, so regardless of whether O'Day is a good option or not, there isn't much reason to own Brach in a Saves only league (or most formats with Holds even).

Thanks, won't bother with Alvarado for now then. Managed to grab O'Day this morning which is what suprised me (normally new inheriting closers are long owned), prob says he's not that good mind.

Surely Norris likely to get the next shot now? Glad I didn't cut, he's been nasty this season anyway even without saves. Now he could be a really good closer if he's just given the chance to run with it. Holland is looking old and hittable.

Hi ladies and gents... What do you make out of the Barraclough versus Ziegler situation? Barraclough is on my wire now in a competitive 5x5 and I’m debating putting a claim in for him. Ziegler got the save yesterday, Barraclough got the save the day before.

4 minutes ago, DaBirds12 said:

Hi ladies and gents... What do you make out of the Barraclough versus Ziegler situation? Barraclough is on my wire now in a competitive 5x5 and I’m debating putting a claim in for him. Ziegler got the save yesterday, Barraclough got the save the day before.

Id prioritize Barraclough over Ziegler at this point....its a matter of when not if.

2 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Didn't see it noted anywhere in here yet, but Melancon transferred to the 60-day DL.  This might be more of a roster shell game move than him having a setback, but it also means he can't come back until May 25th at the earliest.  That tells me that at the very least they know there's a lot of rehab to do here.  And at worst it could mean he's started throwing and things aren't a whole lot better.

Strickland has been really good, even if he comes back i doubt he gets the job, Hunter has been lights out

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

Id prioritize Barraclough over Ziegler at this point....its a matter of when not if.

I don't see a change happening until the all Star break at least.  The Marlins only value in Ziegler is trade bait.  Hes more valuable as a closer as trade bait. 

1 minute ago, murraygd13 said:

I don't see a change happening until the all Star break at least.  The Marlins only value in Ziegler is trade bait.  Hes more valuable as a closer as trade bait. 

The dude is trash right now....if he pitches solid I can see that scenario play out......but how long will they suffer through his poor performance?

11 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

Melancon not only has to come back, which is unlikely, but he has to be healthy and then actually pitch well. 

Long odds there. 

This.  Even when he pitched last season, he was garbage. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

Is there a chance Steckenrider can jump Barraclough?  KB does have a couple BS and a loss this season.  And his walk rate is a little worrisome for a closer.

Just now, ToO_BaD said:

Is there a chance Steckenrider can jump Barraclough?  KB does have a couple BS and a loss this season.  And his walk rate is a little worrisome for a closer.

In talent alone, yes...but my thought would be the Barraclough gets a crack and some leash if change is made.

26 minutes ago, azeri98 said:

Strickland has been really good, even if he comes back i doubt he gets the job, Hunter has been lights out

On the contrary, if Melancon comes back and is healthy he will close.  Period.  Next paragraph.  This is the Giants organization, not fantasy baseball, and they will not let their pricey closer play set up to Strickland, no matter how well the latter is pitching.  Melancon's leash will be short upon return, but he will close.  As a lifelong Giants fan I'd bet the house on it.

Edited by I Miss Matt Cain
  • Like 2
Just now, I Miss Matt Cain said:

On the contrary, if Melancon comes back and is healthy he will close.  Period.  Next paragraph.  This is the Giants organization, not fantasy baseball, and they will not let their pricey closer play set up to Strickland, no matter how well the latter is pitching.  Melancon's leash will be short upon return, but he will close.  As a lifelong Giants fan I'd be the house on it.

I think BEST case scenario you'd be looking at the Norris/Holland situation at first if/when Melancon comes back.  The point is to win baseball games. 

Just now, Magoo said:

I think BEST case scenario you'd be looking at the Norris/Holland situation at first if/when Melancon comes back.  The point is to win baseball games. 

In all the Giants games I've attended, watched, and listened to, I'd say that the point is to do things that don't seem like they'll win baseball games.  Honestly, I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, I'm saying it's what will absolutely happen.  The transition period (wherein Melancon is healthy and pitching but is not the stated closer) will be one week at most, perhaps 1-2 save opportunities, then it's all Melancon.  Again, his leash will be short at first but in no way shape or form will this become a committee under Bochy/Giants brass.

30 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Does anyone think Alvarado has a chance to actually close with $$$ being a counterpoint?

I don't think money has anything to do with it. He isn't arb eligible until 2021 and by then the rays will prob have traded him to gather more cheap assets.

4 minutes ago, I Miss Matt Cain said:

In all the Giants games I've attended, watched, and listened to, I'd say that the point is to do things that don't seem like they'll win baseball games.  Honestly, I'm not saying it's the right thing to do, I'm saying it's what will absolutely happen.  The transition period (wherein Melancon is healthy and pitching but is not the stated closer) will be one week at most, perhaps 1-2 save opportunities, then it's all Melancon.  Again, his leash will be short at first but in no way shape or form will this become a committee under Bochy/Giants brass.

Normally I'd agree, but this is not the typical case of a high-priced closer coming off the DL.  Melancon's arm is really %$@! up.

7 minutes ago, Magoo said:

Normally I'd agree, but this is not the typical case of a high-priced closer coming off the DL.  Melancon's arm is really %$@! up.

Indeed it is, and they will wait it out to let him recover but they won't back-and-forth when he's ready.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, TheJuggernautBTCH said:

In talent alone, yes...but my thought would be the Barraclough gets a crack and some leash if change is made.

Yeah that makes sense.  

On 4/29/2018 at 9:49 AM, Ben Edelman said:

In the theme of TTO pitchers, is anyone looking at Tayron Guerrero of FLA as a deep sleeper?

98.8 MPH on the fastball this year, up from 95.7 in his last stint in the majors two years ago

63 batters faced

25 Ks

9 BB

1 HR

1 HBP

only 27 balls actually put in play.

I realize we are playing a game of "small sample size theater" here, but last year in the minors he pitched 36 innings with 40 Ks and 29 (!!!) BB.  Is there anything to see here, or just another flamethrower with no command?

Shoot, I gotta ask, what is "TTO"?