NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

5 minutes ago, 6Kill said:

Ya, the H2H league I was in last year I lost in the championship to a guy who punted SP.  Punting saves feels horse and buggy-ish to me. Thanks for helping me acquire Strickland in both of my leagues this year guys in this thread... he’s literally the only thing I have going for me in either league thus far.

Strickland could be the first real gem this year.  More will come, even though we’ll more than likely have to sift through quite a few gas cans before then. Such is. 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

I think Rivero's bad spring makes this "one game" a bit more cause for concern, but it's still very early. PIT's essentially a rebuilding team and Rivero is their closer of the future, and is sitting on a big contract extension. 

You have to think he has quite a bit longer leash than most, and if he was pulled from the role at all it would be temporary until he found his groove again. 

Biggest worry is just that there might be some nagging injury that he eventually has to be shut down for. 

• Like 1

Actually think Middleton is a good add right now.  Everyone ready to throw rivero under the bus but Parker has been really bad too.  Middleton has more long term staying power than Kontos.  

Strickland

Reed

Givens

Middleton

If you want to add Kontos to cover your bases with Rivero go ahead

some leagues have Ziegler on waivers.  Add him ahead of the speculative guys

Edited by kidtwentytwo
3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Actually think Middleton is a good add right now.  Everyone ready to throw rivero under the bus but Parker has been really bad too.  Middleton has more long term staying power than Kontos.  

Strickland

Reed

Givens

Middleton

Add but don't start Middleton. Parker, Bedrosian, and Middleton have had an awful Spring. Regular season thus far Middleton has been the only one that hasn't "blown-up." Middleton can definitely run away with it if given the opportunity and performs exceedingly well.

16 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Strickland

Reed

Givens

Middleton

Middleton will not get the closing job. It would be Jim Johnson before that happens. Do not waste your time.

way to early to add Middleton right now. No one else will add him so you’re wasting a spot for something that just won’t happen. He’s fat and out of shape this year and he has blow up innings....

this is from an Angels fan. I understand people need saves, but Middleton is not the answer.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 3
10 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Middleton will not get the closing job. It would be Jim Johnson before that happens. Do not waste your time.

way to early to add Middleton right now. No one else will add him so you’re wasting a spot for something that just won’t happen. He’s fat and out of shape this year and he has blow up innings....

this is from an Angels fan. I understand people need saves, but Middleton is not the answer.

Im looking at usage plus his swing & miss stuff is good.  Plus if being fat eliminates a 200lb Middleton as closer it’s certianly going to cross off Johnson 

7 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Im looking at usage plus his swing & miss stuff is good.  Plus if being fat eliminates a 200lb Middleton as closer it’s certianly going to cross off Johnson 

Agreed. And he’s forth in line to get saves in Anaheim so it’s useless. I’m not trying to be a dick, but Middleton is not someone you invest in fantasy this year... especially not now.

if you want to waste a spot on Middleton, that’s on you. But no one else is adding that dude. There’s better ways to use your open spots. Also, Parker converted yesterday, even though it was shaky.

Edited by hangin n wangin
41 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Agree. Parker with Johnson as the handcuff.

Would love to see data on the seasons for closers who crap the bed and blow the save the first game of the year...I mean in season long roto, when you have an outing like Rivero, its gotta be a clean month to six weeks for his numbers to look respectable. 

• Like 1

For those trying to vulture saves, who is the guy tonight for the Padres? Assuming no way Hand will be available. Yates and Stammen would be the next guys in line but they also pitched the first 2 games.

Top speculative watch list guys right now?  

Reed

O'Day

Barraclough (upside)

Cishek

Minter (upside)

Middleton

Kontos

Whoever you think is behind Neris

Steckenrider and Givens may be up there too, beside O'Day and Barraclough.  It looks like O'Day and Barraclough might be 2nd in line for those spots though.

Save Opp for Yanks goes to Betances or Robertson, likely depending on the match-up.

As for Pitt's situation, I think a guy to watch is Michael Feliz.  

Edited by BigPapi44

Just something to keep an eye on:

Jansen -- who gave up Friday's only run -- reportedly saw his velocity dip to the 88-89 mph range, according to Bill Plunkett of The Orange County Register.

The dominant closer became Joe Panik's latest victim when he left one of his cutters over the plate in the ninth inning. Jansen averaged 93.3 mph on his big cut fastball last season, so the media questioned whether the dip in velocity was simply mechanical, or if there were another reason, to which Jansen replied, "who cares?" One group of folks who might care are the fantasy owners who paid a hefty cost to acquire one of the game's best closers. Jansen did have a hamstring injury that delayed his start to spring training, but the ailment was never considered serious, and he was able to finish the exhibition campaign with no reported setbacks. There isn't reason to panic quite yet, as pitchers -- especially ones that didn't get a full spring in -- sometimes need a few extra appearances to fully get their velocity to peak levels. That said, how the 30-year-old responds in his next few outings will determine whether there is any cause for concern or if this was just a blip on what should be another dominant year.

• Thanks 1

That would be fitting since in the 15 years I've been in my keeper league, I've kept two closers.  Jose Valverde (still don't understand why I did it) and Kenley Jansen.  Valverde bombed badly that season, and Jansen is basically the only closer in the game where his reliability has literally never wavered at all ever.  With that said, while I noticed the dip in velocity in the Game Stream on Yahoo, it'd be silly for anyone to panic right now (no pun intended) with it being just one game.

Same goes for Brad Hand, even if that was quite the epic blown save where the only saving grace was the fact that only two of the runs were earned.  Sorry to say it, but it's an absolute joke that people on here are concerned about him or think he's just mediocre after one blown save.  Yes, performance wise he is up there in that second tier (first tier being Jansen and Kimbrel) with Chapman and such.  You don't do what he did the last two seasons (and even just last season when he became the closer) by accident, nor should it be discounted just because he blew a save.  Yes, it was horrible.  Yes, I was upset and in awe after watching it happen, but it's one game.  He will have many more games like Knebel's save last night than bad ones.

You guys are creating a lot of junk for the Mods to sift through today. Perhaps another reminder is in order. Cut out the snippy back and forth. Take the strategy discussions elsewhere. Take the “I punt saves because...” elsewhere. 

Consider this a reminder of the forum rules, best practices for the thread, and a reminder to be sure you're complying with the Code of Conduct.

1) Bench coach questions belong in the Bench Coach Forum.  It's really not that hard ... if you're asking should I drop this guy for that guy, it's Bench Coach material.  Some of you are getting pretty good at 'hiding' your bench coach questions as "would you prefer to own A or B," but you're not fooling anyone.  Keep it relevant to everyone on the board.

2) No one cares about your team.  In fact, we couldn't possibly care any less about whether or not you own 15 closers or none.  We don't care if you own the guy that just got smoked in a non-save situation, and we don't care if you're celebrating owning the next newly minted closer.  It's all Cool Story Bro, and there's will inevitably be a 2018 Cool Story Bro thread just for that.

3) This isn't the place to discuss league strategies.  Questions about punting saves being a viable strategy aren't applicable here.  Neither are the posts saying, "I punt saves so I don't have to deal with all this."  Cool - we're here cause we want new closers.  If that doesn't apply to you, there are numerous other threads on the forum.

4) League Settings discussions can go elsewhere too.  Just because it's a closer's thread doesn't mean it's the place to discuss the viability of Holds as a category, or whether your league should be Saves + Holds, or whether Saves + Holds is better than Saves, or whether Net Saves should be the category of choice instead of just Saves.

5) Don't be a lazy bum.  Don't be that guy that just shows up, posts your question, and expects an answer.  Don't be the guy that can't be bothered to read the discussion.  A best practice is to click the red dot/star to the left of a thread title, which takes you automatically to the last post you read.  Some nights are busy in here, so that might mean you're 5 pages behind.  Maybe you're 10 behind ... do the work.  Life doesn't reward the lazy, and neither does fantasy baseball.  Also, catch up on the whole damn thread before posting.  There's nothing worse than quoting some asinine comment from 15 hours ago and taking the entire thread down a rabbit hole all over again.  Catch up, then go back and comment if you'd like.  Stream of consciousness posts aren't needed.  

As for the rest of you that aren't asking the lazy questions and are complying with the rules above... don't goad the guys that aren't in compliance.  Snarky responses also clutter the thread and lead to back-and-forth discussions that take us way, way off topic.  Report the post.  A moderator will handle it.

Finally, if you're drunk ... go sober up elsewhere.  Don't get your jollies from cluttering up a thread the rest of us are trying to enjoy and digest for useful information. 

Carry on ...

• Like 3
Just now, Elviplatinum said:

So how many of you see strickland keeping and running away with the closer job???

NFBC decision time tomorrow.

hard to say at the moment because of melancon's issues and how long he will be out...

IF strickland is lights out until melancon comes back, will be hard to take him out of the gig

• Thanks 1
Just now, Elviplatinum said:

So how many of you see strickland keeping and running away with the closer job???

NFBC decision time tomorrow.

I do. No one knows for sure, but with his improved slider he looks a whole lot better than Dyson and even Watson. Melancon's arm was hurting all spring and hasn't been right for some time now. I doubt he's making a serious comeback as a closer this year.

• Thanks 1