NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

6 minutes ago, Elviplatinum said:

So how many of you see strickland keeping and running away with the closer job???

NFBC decision time tomorrow.

I'm in the same situation..  I don't want to have to break the FAAB bank on him though....lol

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Elviplatinum said:

So how many of you see strickland keeping and running away with the closer job???

You have to believe the job is his for as long he is pitching right... no matter what happens with Melancon. 

1 hour ago, Z06vette said:

Just something to keep an eye on:

Jansen -- who gave up Friday's only run -- reportedly saw his velocity dip to the 88-89 mph range, according to Bill Plunkett of The Orange County Register.

The dominant closer became Joe Panik's latest victim when he left one of his cutters over the plate in the ninth inning. Jansen averaged 93.3 mph on his big cut fastball last season, so the media questioned whether the dip in velocity was simply mechanical, or if there were another reason, to which Jansen replied, "who cares?" One group of folks who might care are the fantasy owners who paid a hefty cost to acquire one of the game's best closers. Jansen did have a hamstring injury that delayed his start to spring training, but the ailment was never considered serious, and he was able to finish the exhibition campaign with no reported setbacks. There isn't reason to panic quite yet, as pitchers -- especially ones that didn't get a full spring in -- sometimes need a few extra appearances to fully get their velocity to peak levels. That said, how the 30-year-old responds in his next few outings will determine whether there is any cause for concern or if this was just a blip on what should be another dominant year.

This is priceless info- might try to flip him now for a good closer plus a piece before we hear something worse. I know that seems panicky but he did give up the bomb to Panik so I’m taking it as a sign and fielding offers for him.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
2 hours ago, Elviplatinum said:

Has there been any change in Strickland's stuff?  If not probably not past May.

1 minute ago, jwblue said:

Has there been any change in Strickland's stuff?  If not probably not past May.

Absolutely - Smoltz taught him how to throw a harder, sharper slider.  He finally has a second pitch.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, 6Kill said:

This is priceless info- might try to flip him now for a good closer plus a piece before we hear something worse. I know that seems panicky but he did give up the bomb to Panik so I’m taking it as a sign and fielding offers for him.

Also Chicken Little said the sky is falling.  Why all these football approach decisions after 2 games?

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, jmoney23 said:

Morrow wasn’t warming in the pen before that bases clearing double by Bryant...only saw Montgomery out there. Is he not throwing on back to back days to start the year?

Morrow only threw 2 pitches yesterday but warmed up 3 or 4 times. Like Eddie Butler, Madden wasn't going to pitch him today.

Edited by jimmyjohns
Words...
30 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Pitched a clean inning. Mattingly brought him out for a 2nd. Pretty certain everyone knew that wasn’t a good idea...except Mattingly.

The starters are horrendous and haven't been going deep at all (plus the 17 innings yesterday). Could be a long year for the whole bullpen of being asked to throw multiple innings. Has dumpster fire written all over it. 

23 hours ago, Elviplatinum said:

If/when Melancon does come back he'll be eased in and who knows if he'll be the same. Forearm troubles are no joke. Dyson isn't a threat. I'd most be concerned about the Giants making a move for say a Kelvin Herrera if they're in contention. He could vulture some saves. That said I'd confidently bid 35%-40% of your FAAB money on Strickland and enjoy the ride. I could see him really making an impact.