NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

Did anyone witness Hand's implosion? Just curious what happened and how he looked. 

I doubt he loses the job very easily, but with the number of batters he walked you have to wonder if there's some kind of injury we don't know about yet.  

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, screaming_vultures said:

Amazing how Rodney is still a closer in 2018

Yeah, 41 years old, ridiculous. 

I have Reed stashed as a handcuff but we have been down this road before. He could hold out all season, 32 saves with a 5.00 ERA

Edited by loro1991
16 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Did anyone witness Hand's implosion? Just curious what happened and how he looked. 

I doubt he loses the job very easily, but with the number of batters he walked you have to wonder if there's some kind of injury we don't know about yet.  

Inconsistent zone all game and he wasn’t getting any borderline calls.  Control was maybe a bit off but didn’t see any cause for concern mechanically speaking.

• Thanks 2

I read back a few pages, and saw a little Middleton talk...big FB but he doesn't seem to get many whiffs with the slider...and he offers the CH at the same speed. Clearly can bring it the heat so maybe just a factor of putting guys away with it, but big leaguers will sit and figure this out, right? Anyone have any insight here?

10 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Soria blows a 3 run lead. 

10 minutes ago, Gamecubesupreme said:

Blown save by Soria.

Not just a 3 run lead....but vs the Detroit Tigers of all offenses. Doesn't get any worse than that.

Is Hand having jitters, given the expectations of him being a dominant closer going into the season? He was shaky when he first became closer last year in June. He got a pair of saves but had trouble in those outings. He then reverted back to a set up role until the trade deadline. He was fine the rest of the season. Hopefully we are saying the same thing: a few shaky outings followed by dominance ROS.

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

Inconsistent zone all game and he wasn’t getting any borderline calls.  Control was maybe a bit off but didn’t see any cause for concern mechanically speaking.

Another frustrating appearance to watch, but I did see it too and agree there.  He's been too good the last two seasons and is too young to have lost it, so like a lot of players, it seems to just be an unfortunately bad start to the season.  He should actually be fun to watch again soon enough.  Also, these were his first 3 walks of the season, so it's not like he's really been wild otherwise this season.

The Hand owner used 20% of his budget 2 night ago on Yates, I razzed him but now the add might not be bad.

Yates looks and acts the part, not sure how much longer they stick with Hand but I'd say the leash is very short now 

38 minutes ago, rotodr said:

The Hand owner used 20% of his budget 2 night ago on Yates, I razzed him but now the add might not be bad.

Yates looks and acts the part, not sure how much longer they stick with Hand but I'd say the leash is very short now 

Could be wrong, but I doubt it.  They wouldn't have kept him and signed up to a new contract if the leash wasn't going to be very long.  Another bad game pretty soon and then maybe.

As for Leone, yeah, he's a cut now coming in this early in the game.  Somewhat surprising that the leash was that short given that Holland is coming soon anyways, but oh well.  I'm not going to really bother picking up the possible replacement since Holland should be up shortly anyways.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, swingbatter said:

brach closes out the orioles game with a save with 2 Ks and a walk.   looks like the o'day and givens stashes are getting less valuable by each brach save...

Brach looked good, filthy stuff. Was squeezed in the walk and had another one called a ball that was down the middle. 

• Thanks 1

Knebel gives up a 2 run bomb in a non save situation, and a few pitches later on the ground after a pitch, something in his landing. Looks like he hurt his hamstring? Couldn't walk out on his own.

Edited by PremiumPlus