NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

JFS179

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

A lot of talk about velocity. Lose a mile or two off your fastball it seems what I am reading the guy is done. Washed up 

I always been a firm believer on ball movement pitch selection & basically deception.... that is how a pitcher gets an MLB batter out. 

While that may be true. The proven number one indicator for pitching injuries are tied to decreased velocity. That’s why they are always spoken about as they should be. 

This us is especially true for a guy like Box. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

While that may be true. The proven number one indicator for pitching injuries are tied to decreased velocity. That’s why they are always spoken about as they should be. 

This us is especially true for a guy like Box. 

Yea I heard that argument before decrease velocity there must be something wrong with his arm shoulder elbow.

Oh I wasn’t even thinking about the Box it was more in lined with Kenley.

I wouldn’t be to worry about Boxberger after all he has perfect so far... 

1 hour ago, I Miss Matt Cain said:

I'd add him for HLDs and ratios yes, but not as a potential closer should Colome continue to slide.  I think Romo is next in line as he has closed successfully in the past and is more experienced. 

Romo does have closing experience, but he also pitched himself out of his closer job in 2014 and never regained it.  He's also 35 and clearly on the down swing of his career.

I have no idea if the Rays would prefer Romo or Alvarado as next in line to close, but if it is Romo then it's just as a stop gap for this year until Alvarado is ready.  He seems like the heir-apparent, and I guess it just depends on the politics that go into these decisions (arbitration costs, etc).

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Romo does have closing experience, but he also pitched himself out of his closer job in 2014 and never regained it.  He's also 35 and clearly on the down swing of his career.

I have no idea if the Rays would prefer Romo or Alvarado as next in line to close, but if it is Romo then it's just as a stop gap for this year until Alvarado is ready.  He seems like the heir-apparent, and I guess it just depends on the politics that go into these decisions (arbitration costs, etc).

The Rays didn't play politics with Colome closing, once they accomplished their goals with the guys ahead of him.  In this instance, I'd imagine trading Colome is of the utmost priority, but I'm not 100% sure maximizing his return involves getting him saves if that balloons his ERA and WHIP.  

Teams have seen Colome have success in the 9th.  He's not quite on the Soria level, but he's a known quantity.  The Rays need him to pitch well, period.

Back to the original point, I wouldn't be surprised to see Alvarado take the gig in the second half.  He may take it sooner if Colome continues struggling, though they may let Romo have a shot for a bit.  Alvarado's the guy you want for skills though ... that arm is impressive.

15 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

In this instance, I'd imagine trading Colome is of the utmost priority, but I'm not 100% sure maximizing his return involves getting him saves if that balloons his ERA and WHIP.

They've had a bad start. But even perennial basement dwellers like the Rays are still just trying to win games this early in the season. It's way too early to be in "we suck, how do we sell at the deadline" mode.

9 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

They've had a bad start. But even perennial basement dwellers like the Rays are still just trying to win games this early in the season. It's way too early to be in "we suck, how do we sell at the deadline" mode.

I wasn't meaning to suggest the Rays are punting right now, but they're clearly rebuilding given their moves this offseason.  Colome looks like their most enticing asset to me, so I'd expect him to be traded ... but they need him pitching well, wherever that is (setup or closing games).

21 hours ago, F@ndemonium said:

Romo has the experience but Jose Alvarado has the far greater stuff....If I had to bet I would think he'll get opportunities once Colome is moved.   Jaime Schultz is a dark horse down the line if he can take a step forward with his control....but I would guess it would be Alvarado....The Rays are going to be more inclined to sink or swim with Colome, in order to build up his trade value, until they eventually move him

I can 100% see Schultz being the guy soon enough...and be able to hold the job down...great tout!

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Sergio Romo is not the Giants Romo of old.  He's nearly a junkerballer.  Guy throws like an 84mph fastball now.  I guess he could guts and guile it out for some saves if given the chance... I'd rather have the Alvarado kid

Once his slider got figured out and adjusted to, he lost the mystique.  That slider was his bread and butter in 2013.

38 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Once his slider got figured out and adjusted to, he lost the mystique.  That slider was his bread and butter in 2013.

For what it’s worth, Romo’s slider is still nasty, especially against righties.