NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

JFS179

Soria pitched a clean 9th to finish up a 5-4 loss for The ChiSox. Do we take anything away from him being used in a loss? Or was this just getting him some work? He hadn't pitched since getting bombed on April 5.

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

Soria pitched a clean 9th to finish up a 5-4 loss for The ChiSox. Do we take anything away from him being used in a loss? Or was this just getting him some work? He hadn't pitched since getting bombed on April 5.

I still think he’s still their guy yet.  We’ll see.

• Like 1

Not sure I’d wait here on Romo. Add him now while he’s cheap(er). Colome used to be a FB/SL guy and now seems to be chucking cutter after cutter after cutter, and it’s not very good. 

Even if it’s temporary, they might let Colome figure this out in lower leverage situations, or give him a phantom DL stint. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I'm not reading into that, Doolittle did the same. Probably just getting him work.

• Like 1

Soria just needed work. Managers often use their closers in the top of the 9th of home games since at that point there's no chance of a save opportunity arising. You see it a lot in tie games and sometimes in 1-run games as well. 

Now if Soria blows another one in the near future I definitely think they may flip him and Jones, but until then I still think he's the guy. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Not exactly confidence inspiring from Colome, but he lives to see another day. 

Barely....If you own him, sell whoever is willing to listen.  I'm intrigued (and as an owner excited) to see what Jose Alvarado and his avg 97.3 MPH fastball could do if given a shot in the closers role.  His stuff is filthy!   Stanek, Schultz, and Romo are all potentials too....TBD

Everybody hates on Soria too much.  Even last year,  he dropped a sub 4 era and still got Ks. He's not top tier,  but i don't feel the imminent change watch is realistic either. He's prob got a little leash,  considering the situation

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I'm not reading into that, Doolittle did the same. Probably just getting him work.

That's what I was thinking, but I wasn't sure if it was because I'm a biased/hopeful Soria owner. Lol. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Everybody hates on Soria too much.  Even last year,  he dropped a sub 4 era and still got Ks. He's not top tier,  but i don't feel the imminent change watch is realistic either. He's prob got a little leash,  considering the situation

Nate Jones is an elite bullpen arm though. So if Soria looks shaky/has a few bad outings, and Jones puts up his 10+ K/9 with low 2 era there is going to be a lot of pressure to promote him. 

3 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Nate Jones is an elite bullpen arm though. So if Soria looks shaky/has a few bad outings, and Jones puts up his 10+ K/9 with low 2 era there is going to be a lot of pressure to promote him. 

Jansen, Miller, and Kimbrel are elite. Nate Jones isnt anywhere close to those guys.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Agree. And Soria has no leash imo.

1 hour ago, handyandy86 said:

Romo pitched the last out in the 7th and the 8th, while Alvarado was in for 2 batters in the 7th. That likely tells you the pecking order. 

This needs to be reiterated as I see guys referencing Schultz and others in Tampa. 

Something’s not right with Colome. Pitch usage has changed. Release point changed. Effectiveness is gone. 

If Romo blows his seemingly inevitable opportunity, then maybe we see Alvarado (who I love BTW), but possession is 9/10ths of the law with chasing closers. Right now, Romo appears solidly next-in-line. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Pressure from a non contending team?  Guess i don't feel its that important for them to change so fast.  

And pretty much any closer outside the top few will be questioned after multiple bad outings, that's nothing new.  And soria is K/9-ing just fine so far.  

Now watch him get torched the next three times out after i stick up for him lol

Just to follow up on my previous post, I'm not saying Romo is better than the other options, just that I've watched a lot of baseball and I see managers going "I'll go with the guy who is older because of experience, etc" a lot more than "I'll go with the young unproven guy because of upside."  So if we're betting on who will get the first crack at closing that's my bet.  If we're betting on who would make a better closer, that's a whole other discussion.

Felipe Rivero has legally changed his name to Felipe Vázquez.
Vázquez is the surname of the reliever's sister, Prescilla, who he lives with in the offseason. The closer expects the Pirates to change the name on the back of his jersey soon. "I think [the Pirates] know already, but I think they’re making it, so I don’t know when they’re going to be ready," he said Monday. "They might be ready already." Apr 9 - 7:44 PM
  • Like 3