Jump to content
NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018


JFS179
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Barnes and Albers both get infield-singled to death in their save opps. Gotta work on that infield. 

 

Not that it really changes much, but the infield didn't really do anything wing either.

 

One ground ball, Albers kind of barred down, preventing the S from making a play.

 

The bunt was just flawless.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thinking Holland is a sit until we see him put up a solid inning.  I can see them giving him work at the first opportunity (i.e., non-save opportunity) and it being less than desirable before he dials it in.

Edited by AHF
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just checking - are we all in agreement that the Angels bullpen usage strongly suggests Middleton is the closer?

 

Since Middleton relieved Parker for the save last week...

 

- Middleton was going to come in for the save on Friday night until the Angels turned a 3 run lead into a 4 run lead.

- Middleton was used in the 8th and 9th inning during a tie game while at home (meaning no save opportunity would be provided).

- Parker was used in the 8th inning tonight with a 5 run lead tonight. In his previous appearance was used with the Angels trailing by several runs.

- Bedrosian has been used all over the place, including in the 9th with a 5-run lead tonight.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So what this save opportunity for Bradley suggests is that the Diamondbacks simply want to use him as their highest leverage relief pitcher. Which means that sometimes he will be called in for the save.

 

Refreshing from a real-life baseball perspective.

Edited by ReyesMurphyWright
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

Just checking - are we all in agreement that the Angels bullpen usage strongly suggests Middleton is the closer?

 

Since Middleton relieved Parker for the save last week...

 

- Middleton was going to come in for the save on Friday night until the Angels turned a 3 run lead into a 4 run lead.

- Middleton was used in the 8th and 9th inning during a tie game while at home (meaning no save opportunity would be provided).

- Parker was used in the 8th inning tonight with a 5 run lead tonight. In his previous appearance was used with the Angels trailing by several runs.

- Bedrosian has been used all over the place, including in the 9th with a 5-run lead tonight.

 

I'm thinking so. I might be dropping Parker. Part of me is just hoping it's Scoscia being Scoscia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, ReyesMurphyWright said:

So what this save opportunity for Bradley suggests is that the Diamondbacks simply want to use him as their highest leverage relief pitcher. Which means that sometimes he will be called in for the save.

 

Refreshing from a real-life baseball perspective.

 

Box has worked 3 out of the last 4 nights. Tonight would've been 4 out of 5. Think it's just a matter of wanting to give him a day... especially since he's been great so far in the role. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, absknicks said:

 

Box has worked 3 out of the last 4 nights. Tonight would've been 4 out of 5. Think it's just a matter of wanting to give him a day... especially since he's been great so far in the role. 

 

Ahh okay, missed that. You're probably right that it's just a rest thing then.

 

Wish more teams would actually do what I suggested though. :P

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, absknicks said:

 

Box has worked 3 out of the last 4 nights. Tonight would've been 4 out of 5. Think it's just a matter of wanting to give him a day... especially since he's been great so far in the role. 

He had the 6th and 7th off.  

Edited by Tugginroot
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Tugginroot said:

He had the 6th and 7th off.  Worked the last two days.

 

Yeah, my bad. Didn't notice that the 6th was an off day for the Dbacks. Still has worked quite a bit recently. On the TV broadcast they said Lovullo mentioned he was going to be careful with Boxberger early on in the season, so I assume that's what it is. If it's something else or something injury related, I'm sure we'll hear about it in the postgame. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

he has worked a lot lately but he did get 2 days off between his last outing and the one before it. So it is not correct to say he's pitched 3 of the last 4 nights.

 

He pitched april 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 8th. No reason for him to be unavailable tonight.

 

This, coupled with his 3 MPH drop last time out, has me very nervous.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Tugginroot said:

He had the 6th and 7th off.  

 

Yeah, I don't think this was a rest-his-arm thing. He pitched last night but he came into tonight having pitched one of the last three days. No reason he shouldn't have been able to work tonight. Maybe we'll have some clarity from the Dbacks soon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...