NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

3 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Exactly.  You also never know if Holland will, but even so, might as well get as many saves out of Norris as you can.  That's why I kept him even when Holland got promoted.

It wasn't the cleanest save, but he did strike out the side and actually looked fine overall.

It's not striking out the side if he gave up a hit and a walk.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

Just now, AnonymousRob said:

Middleton got the save but looks like it was an ugly one. Anyone watch it? Looks like he was all over the place.

jon jay hit a great breaking ball for a single but that was erased with almonte's double play ball.  He was all over the place during Merrifield's at bat though.  Lucked out with Whit getting caught stealing so he didn't have to pitch to Moose.  His stuff looks mediocre lol but if he can locate better, he should be alright.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, AnonymousRob said:

Middleton got the save but looks like it was an ugly one. Anyone watch it? Looks like he was all over the place.

I watched it. As someone who owns Middleton, I don’t feel good about it. A lot of his pitches weren’t even close. He threw two particularly bad ones that hit the ground well in front of the plate. 

• Like 1

He’s still learning he’s young. But has good stuff and will keep improving imo. First HA wasn’t anything special, could’ve been a ground out. Then promptly got the ground out easy DP. Then lost focus and gave up the walk.  Threw a nice breaking ball for a strike to Moose first pitch but then catcher threw out base runner to end game. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Yes it is. The side just means three outs in that inning. 

There's 3 outs every inning, yes.

(I know you meant Ks, still disagree with calling any 3 K inning "striking out the side" though, it's gotta be 3 up 3 down 3 Ks)

Edited by Trifecta
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

(I know you meant Ks, still disagree with calling any 3 K inning "striking out the side" though, it's gotta be 3 up 3 down 3 Ks)

It does have a better ring to it that way doesn’t it. 

20 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

15 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

It does have a better ring to it that way doesn’t it. 

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Striking_out_the_side

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Didn't realise Parker got pulled from the role with 0 BS, that just typifys todays closer leash. Or was he never in the role to begin with?

Dude looked abysmal in spring and stunk it up his first few showings to open the year. His velocity is down a good 2 MPH on all his pitches and it shows. Splitter just doesn't look as sharp as it did last season.

Middleton has the gig for now but I don't see him sticking. He's a poor command guy which is not what you want out of a closer. Would not surprise me if we eventually see the Angels trade for a closer once we get closer to the deadline(Maybe Kelvin Herrera?)

• Like 2

Thank you for putting two men on in the 9th, Makita.  Hand gets his 5th save because of that, and throwing only 3 pitches to get a game ending double play.

Yeah, Hand continues to put the beginning of the season in his rear view mirror...

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Pitches Love Velocity said:

Anyone dropping Giles (or recommending dropping Giles) is being way too reactionary. The manager is simply playing matchups. And since the Rangers were sending up two lefties (followed by Chirinos, followed by yet another lefty), Devo, who is traditionally better at getting out lefties, got the call. 

Sucks for fantasy purposes, but Giles will still factor into the 9th.

Edit: Also keep in mind that Giles has always been a slow starter. This could just be the Astros way of easing him in to things while they wait for the dominant version of Giles to show up.

This is exactly right. I wouldn’t cut Giles, but not enough has been made of this despite Hinch being extremely forthcoming about his plans. He’s been quoted numerous times saying, effectively, “I’ve got 3-4 guys with saves on their resumes or the arsenal to get it done. Jeff’s built a great bullpen down there, and we’re going to take advantage of it by putting guys in position to succeed. I know you guys want to know who’s getting the 27th out every night, but it won’t necessarily be the same guy. We might need someone earlier or later in the game, or like the matchups better for someone.”

I’m paraphrasing, but I’ve heard that same thing several times now. Giles should probably be viewed more as a 20 save guy than a 35-40 save guy. 

9 minutes ago, PhilsPhan90 said:

Holland has just been a worthless waste of a roster spot for two weeks now. Anyone have any clue as to whether he'll get the next save opportunity?

Doesn't sound like it. Discussed on page 67.

11 hours ago, Trifecta said:

That might be how you think it should be defined, but it is not defined that way. It is simply a pitcher recording three strikeouts in an inning. It doesn't have to mean three up-three down with three Ks. 

26 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

In Tampa, sure feels like Romo or Alvarado are going to be closing soon. Last call there ... Colome doesn’t seem long for that role. 

Agreed. Colome has looked terrible this season, and just doesn’t have a repertoire to be the guys this year.  I have a gut feeling Romo will be given the first crack being a veteran with closing experience, but as a guy who missed him and got Alvarado I sure hope he eventually gets the gig lol.

54 minutes ago, JFS179 said:

In Tampa, sure feels like Romo or Alvarado are going to be closing soon. Last call there ... Colome doesn’t seem long for that role. 

It serves Tampa's interests to have Colome figure it out in the closer role. I know GMs now a days value the save less and less but still seeing him thrive in the 9th rather than in set up or mop up situations will greatly improve his trade value.

Houston is just a committee. See lots of overreactions on "drop Giles". No. It's just like when a team had 2-3 really good guys they could go to in other years. You can name similar situations. 

• Like 1