NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Jacob Barnes might be a sneaky pickup in deep leagues. Knebel walks a TON of dudes, and the Brewers have playoff aspirations this year. I’m not sure he’s got as long a leash as the industry thinks, and Hader looks like the fireman. 

Sneaky pickup but be careful. His spring stats don't look pretty. 14 H, 6 ER, 6 BB, 7.36 ERA, 2.73 WHIP in 7.1IP. 9 K though...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

52 minutes ago, XxxOilOverloadxxX said:

about 92-93

that's about where he is on fangraphs thought he would be a mid 90's guy with all those K's

Hitters react to his fastball like it is 97. 

23 hours ago, handyandy86 said:

Teams in current turmoil:

Day 1 updates on these teams to watch:

White Sox - no update

Cardinals - Holland signing effectively takes them off the watch list. Leone is maybe a temporary hold until Holland is game-ready. 

Giants - Strickland named the man by Bochy, and converted save #1. If he's still out there go get him because who knows when or if Melancon comes back!

Rangers - Banister says it's Kela's job to lose. No action on day 1, but sounds settled for now. Surprisingly he also named Jepsen as next in line, so he's the cuff if your league is that deep (and your stomach is that strong). 

Angels - No 9th inning save opps, but Bedrosian came into the 7th inning and promptly $hit the bed. Seems like it is indeed going to be Parker's job, unless Scioscia pulls a fast one with someone like Jim Johnson. 

Twins - Rodney with the blow job and is 0/1. 

Mets - No save opp, but Familia with a clean inning. 

Phillies - Bad day all around. Ramos was ineffective, and Neris got blown up badly. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The situations I'll be most closely monitoring are Minnesota and Baltimore. If given chance, Reed and Givens (I'm ignoring O'Day) could be elite closers. Brach or Rodney blows up again soon and I will probably just add Reed/Givens before any official news comes out.

1 minute ago, dchamps said:

The situations I'll be most closely monitoring are Minnesota and Baltimore. If given chance, Reed and Givens (I'm ignoring O'Day) could be elite closers. Brach or Rodney blows up again soon and I will probably just add Reed/Givens before any official news comes out.

I think Reed is a good bet and if its a keeper and your looking a little more long term, he was on a 2-year deal and Fern on a 1.  So at some point maybe takes over and is closer through 2019

2 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Who are people targeting for the BAL situation?  O'Day or Givens?

Givens has the stuff but O'Day has the experience.  If Brach blows another save, I think Buck goes to O'Day next.

• Thanks 1

Brach had some outings like this last year and they stuck with him.

O'day would be fine for the occasional spot, but if O'day got chances on a regular basis I think he'd blow it, then Givens steps up maybe.

Who knows, but for now I'm thinking Brach will be fine...

Any thoughts on a Philly grab?  Neris "underperformed", Kapler is going to be a mix/match lunatic.  I would love to grab the leading lefty but Morgan tho.  Aside from Neshek, any thoughts on who might be option 2 right now until Kapler settles down. 

2 minutes ago, thefamily79 said:

Any thoughts on a Philly grab?  Neris "underperformed", Kapler is going to be a mix/match lunatic.  I would love to grab the leading lefty but Morgan tho.  Aside from Neshek, any thoughts on who might be option 2 right now until Kapler settles down. 

Pull a name out of a hat.  Neris will get more chances, but if he falters it may turn into a hot hand/who doesn't suck situation.    Neshek is like 40 years old and never closed despite being a top reliever on many teams he's been on.  Has to be a reason for that.  

1 minute ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Pull a name out of a hat.  Neris will get more chances, but if he falters it may turn into a hot hand/who doesn't suck situation.    Neshek is like 40 years old and never closed despite being a top reliever on many teams he's been on.  Has to be a reason for that.  

For some reason submariners get no respect.