NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

1 minute ago, mavsfan23 said:

I doubt it unless Holland suddenly starts getting paid much less. Agree with it or not, that gives him a lot of leeway. 

Idk man, if I had Holland I won't just suddenly feel better if he blows it next time out because of his paycheck. If Norris settles in the Cardinals aren't going to have major objections to possibly using Holland in flexible high leverage situations like Miller, Hader and Bradley. Norris got 20 saves last season, he struck out the side last night and recovered under pressure with 2 K's tonight. It's possible he stays there, Norris is worth holding for that even if he ends up being a placeholder. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

The better half of the Cardinals closers over the last 7 or 8 years have been in the "extremely unlikely" category.  Most years it's been a different guy than started with the role in April or was expected to have the role, so they seem accustomed as an organization to adjust their pre-season plans.

Mujica, Salas and Oh were all pretty unlikely closers.

44 minutes ago, kittenmittons said:

The better half of the Cardinals closers over the last 7 or 8 years have been in the "extremely unlikely" category.  Most years it's been a different guy than started with the role in April or was expected to have the role, so they seem accustomed as an organization to adjust their pre-season plans.

Mujica, Salas and Oh were all pretty unlikely closers.

Ryan Franklin

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Ryan Franklin

Yep, I think he took over for Isringhausen and lasted for longer than the rest of the unlikely bunch.  Good call. 

It's really been a closer carousel for the Cardinals the last decade. 

I think Rosenthal was the only one to lose the role and then reclaim it later for any length of time, and even that was short lived. 

Edited by kittenmittons
  • Like 1
  • Root Admin
3 minutes ago, mikejohn said:

I don’t get why they bring kela in??? They are on the road .. wth

Because Bannister doesn't care much about who gets a "save".  He probably wanted to get thru the top of the lineup with one of his best....

• Like 5
Just now, Patrick Bateman said:

Because Bannister doesn't care much about who gets a "save".  He probably wanted to get thru the top of the lineup with one of his best....

Exactly. If they don't go to their best RP there, there's a good chance the game is over already and there is no 10th inning to save.

38 minutes ago, mikejohn said:

I don’t get why they bring kela in??? They are on the road .. wth

I'm trying to figure out what being on the road has to do with it 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

I'm trying to figure out what being on the road has to do with it 

In theory, when you're on the road in a potential extra-innings situation, you can save your closer until you score in the top of an inning, then bring him in for the save in the bottom.

But in practice that's not always the best way to win a game. Bringing Kela in to face the top of the Astros lineup was a no-brainer IMO, and it worked out.

• Like 2
49 minutes ago, KingJoffrey said:

It's just a matter of time before Bud Norris blows someone's ERA and WHIP up looking to chase saves.  

Russian Roulette.

Very true, but to be fair you can say this about most closers.

• Like 3
3 hours ago, mikejohn said:

Because now you have a lead , but no closer and guys on 1st and 3rd in the bottom of the 10th

Yeah and if they had pitched this guy instead of Kela in the 9th vs the top of the Astros' order they probably lose the game....

Pitching their best guy in that situation was a no-brainer.  A reliever other than Kela was going to have to pitch at some point if they were going to win and each inning was the potential last.  

Edited by The Waker
  • Like 2
7 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

It's funny.

Last year with LAA everyone completely dismissed Norris and me, being the saves vulture I am, immediately grabbed him hoping to squeeze literally a couple saves out of him. He got me almost 20!

This year, with STL....everyone is completely dismissing Norris and I, once again, am hoping to squeeze a few saves out of the situation! HA.

He also imploded after a decent run though. It was what everyone sort of figured but he did hold it together for a lot longer than expected.  He's pitched well thus far but it's still Holland's to lose.   Meaning Norris' hold on the position will be determined by how well/poor Holland pitches.

Alvaro or Romo, who's the spec add here? Even if Colome isn't hurt I can see them changing soon to "let him clear his head".

They are awful and need to at least hold the occasional leads they get. Something will happen soon if he keeps sucking.

Seems FG has it listed in red now and Romo as the next guy behind. But wouldn't they want to see what the younger kid can do.

Edited by swfcdan
Just now, swfcdan said:

Alvaro or Romo, who's the spec add here? Even if Colome isn't hurt I can see them changing soon to "let him clear his head".

They are awful and need to at least hold the occasional leads they get. Something will happen soon if he keeps sucking.

Not much has changed here and it's just a guess. If you believe in the veteran with experience go with Romo. If you believe in the young guy with better stuff go with Alvaro. If you have space to roster both and are that desperate for saves do that.

Colome was terrible for a stretch last year and he eventually righted the ship. I imagine he has some leash. He's only pitched 5 innings. That said, I would guess Romo is next in line.

• Like 1