NBC Sports Edge Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

In a lot of these situations you can follow the money.  Arano is a good arm and is pitching well, but Tommy Hunter dominated the AL East last year for Tampa and got paid $9MM a year by Philly.  He's getting up to speed in extended ST and should be going on rehab assignment soon.  

If I'm betting against Neris, I'll do so with Hunter.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rodney  

Anyone have any thoughts on the Milwaukee situation?

Posted Images

21 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

I don't know what his deal is this year but Colome really just had 1 bad month last year in June. He was actually pretty good outside of that stretch and his overall numbers last year (ERA, WHIP, FIP, K/9, BB/9) were in line with his career averages.

Here are some variances between his 2016 & 2017 seasons.  Seems a bit glaring to me 

Alex Colome (2016 v 2017):

Increased  walk rate (2.4  BB/9 compared to 3.1)

Decrease in k/9 (11.3 dropped back to 7.8)

Decrease in Swinging Strike Rate (15% down to 12%)

Increased Contact Rate (69% to 75%)

....I sold off all my shares this past off-season and have zero regrets :) 

17 minutes ago, F@ndemonium said:

Here are some variances between his 2016 & 2017 seasons.  Seems a bit glaring to me 

Alex Colome (2016 v 2017):

Increased  walk rate (2.4  BB/9 compared to 3.1)

Decrease in k/9 (11.3 dropped back to 7.8)

Decrease in Swinging Strike Rate (15% down to 12%)

Increased Contact Rate (69% to 75%)

....I sold off all my shares this past off-season and have zero regrets :) 

Yes, 2016 was no doubt a career year given the rest of his track record so I wouldn't expect him to repeat that. He'll never be 2016 good which looks like an outlier season but he's not this bad.

Edited by fletch44
  • Like 1

Joe Jimenez has looked pretty good this year. I’m not sure how long Greene’s leash is but he may get dealt at some point (long ways away).  If Jimenez keeps pitching well He may get a shot sooner rather than later. 

He may be the closer of the future....again

• Like 1

Colome pitching in the 9th in a game the Rays are losing 7-1.  Could mean something, could mean nothing.  He's only pitched once in the last week, so it's probably just "getting him some work."  Just passing along the info for my fellow save chasers...

Edited by swingbatter
8 hours ago, beauso79 said:

What do you guys think about Bruce Rondon (CWS)??

How long are you guys holding on to Blake Parker (LAA)??

I think Rondon might see some saves later on if the Sox can trade Jones and Soria. 

Parker was probably my a safe drop a week ago at least.  I think Middleton owns that job as much as a Scoscia closer can... 

Edited by kittenmittons

and ziegler comes in up 9-0 to "get some work in" and promptly serves up a solo dinger to Andujar.  he's given up runs in 4 of his 7 appearances this year.   only 2 were save situations, but as many have speculated, it will be hard for mattingly to keep trotting him out there unless he throws a few goose eggs -- and soon.  

1 minute ago, BostonCajun said:

Hader in to pitch the 8th up 2

Just froze Votto with 95 on the black. Have to think he'll come back out to finish it. No reason to risk using Albers or Barnes. 

11 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Doolittle might get sniped out of another save chance. Nats May score up 3 already too 9. 

Phew. Nice clean save by Doolittle. 10 pitches, 2K. 

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Picard56 said:

I believe this the second game in a row that hader is getting a 6 out save. I thought counsell said he wasn't going to close.

Constantly losing games in the 8th/9th inning has a way of changing a manager's mind quick. Have to think this is the formula from here on out. Maybe they'll restrict him to 1 inning on back-to-backs but otherwise I think he's the guy until Knebel is back in the mix.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

I believe this the second game in a row that hader is getting a 6 out save. I thought counsell said he wasn't going to close.

He can go 2 innings and the most important part of the order came up in the 8th. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, 9703 said:

He can go 2 innings and the most important part of the order came up in the 8th. 

I think this is right. He's going to pitch whenever the opponent's best hitters come up in big spots, and he's typically going to pitch two innings. Tonight the top of the Reds order came up in the eighth so he stayed out for the ninth. He'll pick up a few saves with this usage, but he won't get every save opportunity for the Brewers.

• Like 2