NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mar/April Closer Thread 2018

JFS179

1 hour ago, BMcP said:

I’m beginning to hope Hader, Barnes and Albers all decide to up and file their retirement papers tomorrow.

I think we should get a Milwaukee Closer Thread started. I swear it seems half the posts itt are about Mlw's situation. 

12 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

I think we should get a Milwaukee Closer Thread started. I swear it seems half the posts itt are about Mlw's situation. 

Closer-by-committees situations usually get quite a bit of attention in closer threads.

Edited by hailtoyourvictor

6 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Boxberger gave up the homer in non save op but great to see his velocity back up in the 89-93 normal range. Hopefully was much ado about nothing here 

I was a little concerned about his velocity so it’s nice to see him back in his normal range. 

Its the first time he’s given up a run this year so he’s been pretty solid with 5 saves.  I know Bradley is there but Bradley has given up a few runs too. It’s one bad outing so I’m sure everything will be normal unless Box struggles again. then it may be time to worry because He may not have a long leash. 

2 minutes ago, exzacly909 said:

Really enjoyed having Kenyan in for 0-7 ball game only to give up a 2 run bomb to Moreland.

Obviously not a really long term concern because of one outing, but I surely could have done without that. Thanks Mike 

I hate when closers come in for non save situations. I know they need to get work in because there can be a stretch in between save opps but the dreaded non save situation never seems to end well, Atleast for me. 

6 hours ago, Under500Forever said:

I was a little concerned about his velocity so it’s nice to see him back in his normal range. 

Its the first time he’s given up a run this year so he’s been pretty solid with 5 saves.  I know Bradley is there but Bradley has given up a few runs too. It’s one bad outing so I’m sure everything will be normal unless Box struggles again. then it may be time to worry because He may not have a long leash. 

There was a guy named Rodney in Arizona last year that was given a leash longer than anyone could imagine by Lovullo, so to me he seems like a manager that will stick by a guy through some issues.  Not that I expect Box to struggle regularly anyways.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, street sharks said:

Watson could be an intriguing add if Strickland falters

Watson doesn't have the mentality for it.  He was given the role in Pittsburgh and crumbled.  He's a good setup man, but that's about as far as he goes.  I'm not saying they won't try him in SF if Strickland continues to struggle, but I know I'm staying far away if it ever happens.

1 hour ago, KilloWertz said:

Watson doesn't have the mentality for it.  He was given the role in Pittsburgh and crumbled.  He's a good setup man, but that's about as far as he goes.  I'm not saying they won't try him in SF if Strickland continues to struggle, but I know I'm staying far away if it ever happens.

I am not sure how willing the Giants would be to make that move either until either Smith comes back or Samardzija and/or MadBum comes back and they potentially move Blach or Holland into the bullpen.  If they put Watson in the closer role that will leave them with Osich as their only lefty middle relief, and he has been pretty bad to start the season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

I am not sure how willing the Giants would be to make that move either until either Smith comes back or Samardzija and/or MadBum comes back and they potentially move Blach or Holland into the bullpen.  If they put Watson in the closer role that will leave them with Osich as their only lefty middle relief, and he has been pretty bad to start the season.

+1

We will not see Watson close this year unless it's a random vulture save situation.  If Strickland continues to struggle I'd bet that Gearrin gets the next shot until Smith returns, then him.

1 hour ago, I Miss Matt Cain said:

+1

We will not see Watson close this year unless it's a random vulture save situation.  If Strickland continues to struggle I'd bet that Gearrin gets the next shot until Smith returns, then him.

Never say never... 

I know everyone's initial reaction on Melancon was that he'd likely be out for the year, but there doesn't seem to be anything definitive there yet, and they still sound like they're going to try to bring him back.  Has everyone moved on completely? He's a DL stash if you have space, but with so many guys on the DL it's tough to keep him around.

Strickland also blew a really tough one, a 1 run lead with Goldy leading off the inning.   Goldy is one of the best hitters in the game and Pollack is on fire right now. 

The fact that they still won the game probably helps with the impact on his role as well. 

• Like 2

Could Barnes possibly lock up the closer role for the Brewers or nah? He's been pretty good and just had a 6 out save the other game which was pretty sick. I took a flier on him dropping other scrub closer Albers so nothing to lose anyway

3 minutes ago, richg24 said:

Could Barnes possibly lock up the closer role for the Brewers or nah? He's been pretty good and just had a 6 out save the other game which was pretty sick. I took a flier on him dropping other scrub closer Albers so nothing to lose anyway

Good question.  I've been wondering why nobody's really talked about the Milwaukee situation yet.  

Edited by kirkcameron
  • Like 3
  • Haha 6