NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

Lebanasty

I think he gets sent back down within a week or two. I don't imagine the Yankees are too concerned about exhausting his options given the organizational view of his long term potential. Afterall, NYY wasn't willing to send him to PIT in a deal for G. Cole this past winter.

I think they'll look to give him opportunities when their ML roster needs to leverage its depth, like now, however they're probably looking to get some value on the other IF they signed this offseason.

He's got a great arm for 3B, the criticism is mostly about his footwork. That's probably something to do with why he's carrying around a 1B mitt.

He easily has the potential to hit 30HR this year with a .270 BA.

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In some ways this does feel like Ian Happ. I think Andujar could force the issue, or if he doesn’t hit, it’s an easy decision for them to send him back down. 

There are pathways here. Walker isn’t getting paid a fortune and hasn’t hit that well so far. Drury can handle a corner OF. They’ve got OFs filling their DH spots. Andujar is probably working at 1B as well. 

It all boils down to him hitting. If he does, plans change quickly. 

Why the hell did they sign Drury, such a prospectblocker. I don't see regular AB's for long, and then what will it take for him to get recalled?

Fingers crossed Drury is meh all year like expected. Andujar could be a monster in that lineup/park in time.

Drury is a stop gap.  He makes sense for the Yanks, who aren't worrying about our fantasy teams.  Drury has more experience than Andjuar, so even if service time was one of their concerns, Drury also provides position versatility.  Like you said, hopefully Andujar will perform and push Drury to be a non-factor.  Andujar did look overmatched by Stroman's off-speed stuff yesterday, so I personally don't think it's a bad thing for him to get some more seasoning in AAA.  If you own him in a keeper league, I would personally like to see him get some steady ABs in AAA and wait for the Yanks to decide 'okay kid, here you go, it's now your position to lose' by giving him steady playing time/ABs.

44 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Why the hell did they sign Drury, such a prospectblocker. I don't see regular AB's for long, and then what will it take for him to get recalled?

Fingers crossed Drury is meh all year like expected. Andujar could be a monster in that lineup/park in time.

Brandon Drury came over in a three team trade. Most people think that was a good deal for the Yankees 

Most prospect fizzled out ... not every prospect becomes Bryce Harper or Mike Trout 

Even though the Yanks have said they will not include him in any trade, I would still not be surprised if they trade him for an Ace or someone like Machado. I don't know if Drury is a long term solution on the team, but he still is only 25. He has really nice plate discipline and great position versatility. We have Wade (who we really like) and Torres also as young IF. 

I agree with @BigPapi44 and think he will get more time in the minors after Ellsbury/Hicks return. I love the future outlook for Miquel, but, like Torres, some more ABs in the minors couldnt hurt given the Yankees current IF. 

7 minutes ago, jdbob11 said:

Well that was a waste of FAAB.  Two games on the bench in favor it Tyler Austin.  They should have just called up a AAA scrub for a few days. 

Yeah, as a Yankees fan, I really don't understand the thought process. We know what Austin is at this point- a platoon bat who should only be in the lineup against LHP (facing a LHP today, but yesterday he played against Archer). And even against LHP, I'd prefer Andujar in over Austin. Austin is a AAAA player, essentially. Meanwhile Andujar is one of the top prospects in baseball and pretty much everyone in the Yankees organization has felt his bat has been MLB ready for some time. Frustrating.

4 hours ago, absknicks said:

Yeah, as a Yankees fan, I really don't understand the thought process. We know what Austin is at this point- a platoon bat who should only be in the lineup against LHP (facing a LHP today, but yesterday he played against Archer). And even against LHP, I'd prefer Andujar in over Austin. Austin is a AAAA player, essentially. Meanwhile Andujar is one of the top prospects in baseball and pretty much everyone in the Yankees organization has felt his bat has been MLB ready for some time. Frustrating.

Completely wrong.

4 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Early returns of Boone as manager aren't good. Andujar should have a chance to prove himself.

Also completely wrong.

1 minute ago, MrBrown said:

Completely wrong.

Also completely wrong.

Um, no. Go on any Yankee forum and ask around. His bullpen decisions have been atrocious. I actually watch the games.

3 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Um, no. Go on any Yankee forum and ask around. His bullpen decisions have been atrocious. I actually watch the games.

His bullpen decisions have nothing to do with Andujar.  I don't like Boone but Austin is the right man to start.  People are just butthurt because they want Andujar for their fantasy teams and thought he was here to stay.  You can lookback in this thread when I told people he was not here to stay.

Just now, MrBrown said:

His bullpen decisions have nothing to do with Andujar.  I don't like Boone but Austin is the right man to start.  People are just butthurt because they want Andujar for their fantasy teams and thought he was here to stay.  You can lookback in this thread when I told people he was not here to stay.

I didn't think Andujar was here to stay either. He's obv going back down in a week, but Andujar should get these starts considering we all know Austin's ceiling is extremely limited. It's tough to debate and prove that Austin is a stronger bat. If you're wasting an option on Andujar, you should get the most AB's out of him during this stretch.

5 minutes ago, Folarin said:

I didn't think Andujar was here to stay either. He's obv going back down in a week, but Andujar should get these starts considering we all know Austin's ceiling is extremely limited. It's tough to debate and prove that Austin is a stronger bat. If you're wasting an option on Andujar, you should get the most AB's out of him during this stretch.

Extremely limited? Lol.  

Austin is hitting .333/.400/1.111  You think Andujar will do better than that?  You start your hot player who is also here for more than just a cup of coffee.  Boone foolishly started Andujar at DH after Austin's 2 HR game, that was his foolish move.

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Austin has an awful track record against RHP. Even struggled mightily against them in the minors. He’s a platoon bat and is what he is at this point. Ask people familiar with the organization and most will tell you the same thing. 

Or just keep being rudely dismissive of people who clearly know more about the subject than you. 

6 minutes ago, absknicks said:

Austin has an awful track record against RHP. Even struggled mightily against them in the minors. He’s a platoon bat and is what he is at this point. Ask people familiar with the organization and most will tell you the same thing. 

Or just keep being rudely dismissive of people who clearly know more about the subject than you. 

He hit very well vs RHP in the minors.  You're going off a very small ML sample.  If you actually knew the minor-league numbers then you wouldn't make these erroneous claims.

Just now, MrBrown said:

He hit very well vs RHP in the minors.  You're going off a very small ML sample.  If you actually knew the minor-league numbers then you wouldn't make these erroneous claims.

He had a ~30% K-rate against RHP in AAA last season. 

12 minutes ago, absknicks said:

He had a ~30% K-rate against RHP in AAA last season. 

And slugged .484.  But way to define a guys career based on 126 minor league ABs.  In 2016 he hit .304/.394/.609  vs RHP but sure he "struggled mightily against them  in the minors"  Check your facts.

5 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

And slugged .484.  But way to define a guys career based on 126 minor league ABs.  In 2016 he hit .304/.394/.609  vs RHP but sure he's a platoon bat that can't hit RHP.

And what about his major league splits against RHP? Coming into this season he was a .184/.228/.333 (45 wRC+) hitter with a 41.3% K rate against RHP in MLB.

Austin is 27 years old and his K-rates are off the charts. Andujar is one of the top prospects in baseball. I really don't know what you're even debating here. That Tyler Austin should be playing over Andujar? If you feel that way, OK, but most Yankees fans I talk to who follow the players and farm system closely feel otherwise. 

3 hours ago, MrBrown said:

Extremely limited? Lol.  

Austin is hitting .333/.400/1.111  You think Andujar will do better than that?  You start your hot player who is also here for more than just a cup of coffee.  Boone foolishly started Andujar at DH after Austin's 2 HR game, that was his foolish move.

Lmao at that sample size. After tofay’s 0-3 game, Austin is batting .225. And his career major league average is around the Mendoza line. Add to that, everyone knows Austin isn’t a long term solution.

you don’t waste a major league option on a top prospect for him to ride the pine. this is pretty common sense.

Archived