NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

Lebanasty

6 minutes ago, absknicks said:

And what about his major league splits against RHP? Coming into this season he was a .184/.228/.333 (45 wRC+) hitter with a 41.3% K rate against RHP in MLB.

Austin is 27 years old and his K-rates are off the charts. Andujar is one of the top prospects in baseball. I really don't know what you're even debating here. That Tyler Austin should be playing over Andujar? If you feel that way, OK, but most Yankees fans I talk to who follow the players and farm system closely feel otherwise. 

Exactly. Austin is a AAAA player who barely made the team. Most fans felt that he was a weakness as a backup; let alone starter. 

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, absknicks said:

And what about his major league splits against RHP? Coming into this season he was a .184/.228/.333 (45 wRC+) hitter with a 41.3% K rate against RHP in MLB.

Austin is 27 years old and his K-rates are off the charts. Andujar is one of the top prospects in baseball. I really don't know what you're even debating here. That Tyler Austin should be playing over Andujar? If you feel that way, OK, but most Yankees fans I talk to who follow the players and farm system closely feel otherwise. 

Your Yankee fan friends don't even know that Andujar doesn't play 1B?  And they follow the players/farm system closely, you say?

He's had 93 ABs vs RHP at the ML level, please stop harping on about these super small sample sizes.  Majority of those ABs were from his first exposure to big league pitching in Aug/Sept of '16.

He's done a great job vs RHP so far this season.

17 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Exactly. Austin is a AAAA player who barely made the team. Most fans felt that he was a weakness as a backup; let alone starter. 

Also not factual.  The reason he wasn't wanted as a backup initially is because he doesn't have a lot of versatility.  He can only really play 1B and teams want backups to be able to play multiple positions.  He's a AAAA player based on under 100 ABs?  Lul

Where did anyone say Andujar plays 1B? I'm not sure why Austin specifically is the one being harped on in this thread, but pretty clearly the assertion is that Boone could shift players around the diamond and make room for Andujar in the lineup, either at 3B or DH. Mr Brown must be really running out of material if he has to pretend other posters don't even know the position of the player. 

Whether it's Austin, or Drury, or friggin Torreyes, it seems like they're finding lots of lineup configurations that involve Andujar sitting on the bench. Today for example, Drury could have gotten the day off, or keep Torreyes on the bench and move Drury over to 2nd, etc. Yesterday it was Austin DHing with Wade's .133 AVG at 2B and Drury at 3B (who again could have been at 2B), so they're choosing to play both Austin and Wade over Andujar essentially. 

Clearly they're not that interested in playing Andujar at this time, and only called him up because he's on the 40 man roster and isn't injured. 

25 minutes ago, Folarin said:

Lmao at that sample size. After tofay’s 0-3 game, Austin is batting .225. And his career major league average is around the Mendoza line. Add to that, everyone knows Austin isn’t a long term solution.

you don’t waste a major league option on a top prospect for him to ride the pine. this is pretty common sense.

Also FYI an option applies to the whole season, so Andujar can be on the 40 man roster and sent down and recalled as many times as the Yankees want and it's still only one option. 

31 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Also FYI an option applies to the whole season, so Andujar can be on the 40 man roster and sent down and recalled as many times as the Yankees want and it's still only one option. 

This is true, but we used an option last season, so we’d only have 1 year of options left

39 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

Also not factual.  The reason he wasn't wanted as a backup initially is because he doesn't have a lot of versatility.  He can only really play 1B and teams want backups to be able to play multiple positions.  He's a AAAA player based on under 100 ABs?  Lul

He’s an AAAA player because he can’t hit righties, was never a top prospect for the Yankees, and has suspect advanced numbers in the minors. Adam Lind was brought in to compete with him for the gig.

39 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Where did anyone say Andujar plays 1B? I'm not sure why Austin specifically is the one being harped on in this thread, but pretty clearly the assertion is that Boone could shift players around the diamond and make room for Andujar in the lineup, either at 3B or DH. Mr Brown must be really running out of material if he has to pretend other posters don't even know the position of the player. 

Whether it's Austin, or Drury, or friggin Torreyes, it seems like they're finding lots of lineup configurations that involve Andujar sitting on the bench. Today for example, Drury could have gotten the day off, or keep Torreyes on the bench and move Drury over to 2nd, etc. Yesterday it was Austin DHing with Wade's .133 AVG at 2B and Drury at 3B (who again could have been at 2B), so they're choosing to play both Austin and Wade over Andujar essentially. 

Clearly they're not that interested in playing Andujar at this time, and only called him up because he's on the 40 man roster and isn't injured. 

Andujar has been getting time at 1B since last year. He can play the corners.

link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/04/why_yankees_fan_favorite_says_miguel_andujar_shoul.amp

1 hour ago, Folarin said:

He’s an AAAA player because he can’t hit righties, was never a top prospect for the Yankees, and has suspect advanced numbers in the minors. Adam Lind was brought in to compete with him for the gig.

More ignorance.

1 hour ago, Folarin said:

Andujar has been getting time at 1B since last year. He can play the corners.

link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/articles.nj.com/yankees/index.ssf/2018/04/why_yankees_fan_favorite_says_miguel_andujar_shoul.amp

Has been getting time at 1B?  No.  He's worked out there a little bit.  Yankees don't even fully believe in his fielding abilities at 3B, let alone putting him at a brand new position which is somehow supposed to come "easy" to him.

3 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Tyler Austin can’t hit 

Miguel Andujar can’t field. 

The Yankees rather have the guy who can field his position starting. 

Then how do you explain yesterday's lineup with Austin as the DH and Andujar still on the bench?

I think the common ground here is more important. If the Yankees truly kept him down for his fielding, shouldn't he still be down there working on it every day? The one start he got was at DH. What's he doing on the bench if he's on the 25 man roster? 

Seems like he's being mismanaged right now. I dont want him up if he's only going to DH. It's not easy to just hit. A lot of great players have a tough time with it.

Lol Minor leaguers aren't just sitting idly by if games haven't started. They play intersquad games before their season starts, dont they?

Point is, he's not getting fielding work in, when he's with the major league club and not playing in the field.

The day before the season starts?  Doubtful.  Look, I don’t know the answer but I’m sure someone will ask Boone about it at some point and we’ll all be able to move on with life with an answer.

[ Several deleted: this is your final reminder before issuing warnings: this is *not* a general purpose Yankees thread.  If your comment is not about Andujar specifically, but is a general comment on the Yankees or their fans, it does not belong here. ]

I think it simply boils down to the Yankees having a cramped 40 man. He was the logical choice considering the team needs and who was available.

The minor league season had not even started yet (starts today) so by calling him up to sit on the bench he wasn't really missing out on any additional "seasoning"and every day ABs. They have ultimate plans to have Andujar to work both 1B and 3B (25% of his starts will be at 1B this year) and he should be up by year's end permanently. So they really had nothing to lose by calling up here for depth outside of having to keep him down a bit longer to gain that extra year of team control.

Austin has been good so far, but I don't think it shows any indication on who they favor at all. Just so happens Austin was hitting well so far at this juncture.

I wonder why they cut Adam Lind?   He has always been a "professional hitter" and he isn't very old.     4 of last 5 years an .820 plus OPS

I doubt, he is fantasy relevant this year.   Has too many obstacles in front of him.    He won't play first.   defensive liability at 3B,    Drury, Torres, Trade, in front of him.   I think he is 4th in line.   He will get a few spot starts at DH and 3B

4 minutes ago, rich22 said:

I doubt, he is fantasy relevant this year.   Has too many obstacles in front of him.    He won't play first.   defensive liability at 3B,    Drury, Torres, Trade, in front of him.   I think he is 4th in line.   He will get a few spot starts at DH and 3B

It really depends on Drury.  Drury has been pretty solid so far, but his batting average has been rapidly dropping.   He also has a couple of errors already at 3B.  If he starts to stink it up then they can send him down and call up Andujar.  Torres is seen as their future 2B so he's notonly ahead of Andujar for 3B.  It will definitely be a bit before Andujar becomes relevant if at all.  Could be traded at the deadline and start for another team but thats a while away.

13 minutes ago, rich22 said:

I wonder why they cut Adam Lind?   He has always been a "professional hitter" and he isn't very old.     4 of last 5 years an .820 plus OPS

They signed Neil Walker who is more versatile.  Lind didn't do that great in ST either.

Archived