NBC Sports Edge Forums

Miguel Andujar 2018 Outlook

Lebanasty

• Replies 617
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

Drury to the DL. I assume this is good news for Andujar despite his lackluster performance thus far?

If he gets enough ABs, he'll hit. Mark my words. And with Drury to the DL he's really their only option over there right now. 

Andujar should get some added ABs until Drury is back.  If he can start to hit, he could play himself into everyday opportunities.  He gets Tillman today with the wind blowing out. Get some!

4 minutes ago, Chubbles said:

A hit of any kind would be nice to get over those start of season jitters

Every AB in his last two games it looked like he was trying to hit a grand slam and nobody was on base.

The Yankees need hin to step up... let’s go Miguel. I wish Alex was in the dugout 

I think it’s really hard to underestimate the difficulty in DH’ing when you’re used to being an everyday player, especially for a young guy like Andujar tying to find his way in the bigs. 

This should be a 10-day trial at everyday PT at 3B, where we see what he’s got when he’s fielding a position and getting in a rhythm (hopefully).

I’ll also point out that Andujar was partially sent to AAA to work on his defense, but Drury has already committed 3 errors in 7 games or whatever it’s been. He’s not exactly set a high bar for Andujar to clear defensively. 

I'm just happy the pressure for him to perform right away is removed now and he'll get a fair shake to figure things out.

Now maybe he won't feel like he has to hit one into the stands to get more run consistently.

Maybe he was pressing early.  His contact numbers haven’t been bad, the strikeouts are manageable so just really poor babip so far.  Yanks sure could use his bat to boost the lower half of the lineup.  Haven’t heard a peep on Drury so this could be his chance to stick at 3rd.

Today on the CBS podcast while they made no mention of Andujar, the host (the one that mixes his voice to be lower-pitched in post) said there are rumblings of Torres being called up soon (2 days or so away from service time reasons to leave him down ending) to play 3B and that he's been playing 3B in Scranton. Apparently he's hitting well and the Yankees as this guy put it 'have a black hole at third base right now'.

Anyone else see or hear anything else on this? I was hoping that the unexpected off days would help the struggling Andujar. Possible they swap him back to AAA for Torres? Anything to gain for the Yankees in regard to Andujar service time if they send him down for awhile (does the clock start counting again for that extra year of control)?

2 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

Today on the CBS podcast while they made no mention of Andujar, the host (the one that mixes his voice to be lower-pitched in post) said there are rumblings of Torres being called up soon (2 days or so away from service time reasons to leave him down ending) to play 3B and that he's been playing 3B in Scranton. Apparently he's hitting well and the Yankees as this guy put it 'have a black hole at third base right now'.

Anyone else see or hear anything else on this? I was hoping that the unexpected off days would help the struggling Andujar. Possible they swap him back to AAA for Torres? Anything to gain for the Yankees in regard to Andujar service time if they send him down for awhile (does the clock start counting again for that extra year of control)?

I posted about it in the Gleyber Torres thread but then mods closed it as he's a minor-league player right now.  It didn't help that Andujar fanboys wanted to argue with me about it.

Torres can be called up Thursday.  Whether it happens or not we will see.  He is crushing at AAA and ready to come up as soon as the Yankees want him.

Andujar had a nice game his last start against Detroit with a double and triple.  We'll see how he plays tonight and tomorrow.  Yankees are off on Wednesday.  Andujar's defense is not good at 3B but he's got a cannon of an arm.

Torres has been playing 3B but they could still call him up to play 2B.  He can play anywhere in the IF.  Yankees starting 2B Tyler Wade has been overmatched in his ABs but he's still young and should probably get more time.  Walker also has not been good.  They've been playing Ronald Torreyes more at 2B and 3B, he's done very well for them offensively and is getting another start tonight at 2B.

Yankees didn't want to call up Andujar when they did but it was out of necessity and then Drury got hurt so Andujar took over.  Torres is the better prospect and if they have to pick between one on the ML roster I'm sure it's going to be Gleyber.

8 minutes ago, Lebanasty said:

Yes on the service time clock ... not that the Yankees are terribly concerned about that with Andujar, but if he's not performing and needs a reset, that's just an added benefit of going back to AAA for the team.

I think they're going to call up Torres in the somewhat near future because he's ready and there are several paths to playing time.  Third base has been a problem for the Yankees.  2B has been a problem for the Yankees.  Walker can play 1B with Austin, and Wade can play in the OF too, but none of those guys are really hitting right now, leading to an opening for Torres.

Once he started playing 3B he got a few hits going.  I was excited to see him hit the next few games, but they keep getting washed out!

Hopefully he makes a statement in these next two games one way or another

1 hour ago, JFS179 said:

Yes on the service time clock ... not that the Yankees are terribly concerned about that with Andujar, but if he's not performing and needs a reset, that's just an added benefit of going back to AAA for the team.

I think they're going to call up Torres in the somewhat near future because he's ready and there are several paths to playing time.  Third base has been a problem for the Yankees.  2B has been a problem for the Yankees.  Walker can play 1B with Austin, and Wade can play in the OF too, but none of those guys are really hitting right now, leading to an opening for Torres.

Yes I think as of Opening Day, Andujar had around 30 calendar days ST needed at MiLB to toll the clock one more year.  Haven't done the math since then.

4/8 - 3 doubles, a triple, 3 Runs, a BB, and an RBI (last 2 games) - small sample sizes ...... until they become bigger sample sizes!!!

Between starting to hit once he started at 3rd and the rainouts - he is annoying me as I don't know how much of a waste of space (If any) he is!!!

He started the season with a couple of Ofers. He's 7-24 since with 4 RBI. I said he was holding his own. You can look up and down the major leagues and see worse stats from vet. players . Yes Torres is the better prospect and hitting well in the minors and the call could come any day. I own both. MA isn't hurting the Yankees or they would have made a change.

People refer to what Torres did last year and that he is hitting in the minors. Well Andjuar hit well last Sept . as well and after a short slow start he's picking it back up. So do the Yankees suddenly remove him because they think Torres is better ? Doubtful . if anything they leave MA at third and bring up Torres to play second. Reading posts on another site ( Yankees ) during ST seems that MOST were hoping that would be the plan .

Now looking ahead there were lots of rumors of the Yankees getting Machado . Think about what that does. He is currently playing shortstop. He wants to play SS . The Yankees have Didi there doing a great job. Do they trade for or sign MM and then move Didi to second? what happens to Torres? After maybe playing much of the season at second base do they move him to third ? Then what happens to MA ? Trade him ?

I think the Yankees stay the course and sign Harper and leave MA at third and Torres to second. DH Stanton .

I'm not in the FO nor is anybody here. We really only have opinions.

Archived