NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zach Britton 2018 Outlook

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 Years, 2014-2016   Combined: 1.38 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 120 Saves.   In all 3 seasons his ERA was below 2, WHIP below 1, and 35+ saves each and every year.    ...now this is

O’s committee has 13 saves and 5 BS. Thats plenty enough opps to make a great closer like Britton valuable. 

hand, herrera, familia, kela, etc are all closers on "non-competitive" teams, and all are obviously worth owning....

2 minutes ago, The Waker said:

What are the expectations here?  Looks like there's a good chance he's pitching for the Orioles by the end of May.

I think that is the best case scenario.  I would not expect him back until all-star break.  Lots of unknowns and ominous signs, definitely stash if you have the DL but otherwise he's a hard pass for me.  Torn Achilles, busted knee, and forearm pain when he had healthy legs.  

Just now, Magoo said:

I think that is the best case scenario.  I would not expect him back until all-star break.  Lots of unknowns and ominous signs, definitely stash if you have the DL but otherwise he's a hard pass for me.  Torn Achilles, busted knee, and forearm pain when he had healthy legs.  

Wasn't he recovered from the forearm injury?

He's already running.

3 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Wasn't he recovered from the forearm injury?

He's already running.

My opinion stands. For how dominant he was that sinker has to work for him to work at all. I could be wrong but waaay too many red flags for me. 

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like he'll be starting rehab soon if his surgeon approves after watching his next mound session.  His DL period ends May 28, so good chance he's back then.  Gotta think he'll take back closer role pretty quickly if he pitches well.

1 hour ago, The Waker said:

Looks like he'll be starting rehab soon if his surgeon approves after watching his next mound session.  His DL period ends May 28, so good chance he's back then.  Gotta think he'll take back closer role pretty quickly if he pitches well.

I'd say first or second week of June, but who knows. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, motown magic said:

Houston. They had a deal in place for him last year . They have the prospects to get it done.

Astros bullpen seem to have a few issues right now, and adding Britton would be a major plus for them

Looked solid in rehab and obviously has history as a legit closer, there will be a great market for him. Not sure if he gets dealt as teams sometimes wait for an overpay but it's gotta be likely he becomes a setup man if he is dealt. Astros could maybe use him but seem content with Giles crazy a** in the driver seat. Indians could use some help and he's gotta be better than some teams 8th inning guys. Solid stash in Saves leagues and strong in leagues that count holds. 

2 hours ago, Malefide said:

Looked solid in rehab and obviously has history as a legit closer, there will be a great market for him. Not sure if he gets dealt as teams sometimes wait for an overpay but it's gotta be likely he becomes a setup man if he is dealt. Astros could maybe use him but seem content with Giles crazy a** in the driver seat. Indians could use some help and he's gotta be better than some teams 8th inning guys. Solid stash in Saves leagues and strong in leagues that count holds. 

I get it's a possibility he gets dealt and becomes a setup... but why likely? Because he's a lefty?

Right now a team like the Angels or Cardinals could desperately use a closer like him... an injury to a team's closer would push them to make an acquisition too. Also, a team in need of a closer is more apt to pay up than someone looking for just another bullpen arm.

13 minutes ago, ToO_BaD said:

Do we have any idea when they are targeting his return?

Late April/ early May reports were suggesting he was ahead of schedule and feeling great yet he was already eligible to come off of the DL a few days ago but hasn't. . Seems like they are taking their time with him and I'd expect him to be back sometime next week.

Edited by MSU2661
2 hours ago, Malefide said:

Why?  His history is as a closer and he was arguably the best closer in the game for a 2.5 year period.  Why would the Astros not put him there when it's clear they don't have complete faith in Giles?

Edited by The Waker
26 minutes ago, The Waker said:

Why?  His history is as a closer and he was arguably the best closer in the game for a 2.5 year period.  Why would the Astros not put him there when it's clear they don't have complete faith in Giles?

He was?? When was this stretch because every season he was great, there were better closers, aside from 2016 I guess arguable (still multiple closers with more saves)

They certainly have shown they don't always trust him against Lefties (which is when Devenski gets a chance) but they have also always gone back to him by default. The market has always been dictating that closers on one team often become setup men on others (Colome, Kintzler as examples) because teams are valuing having a stronger arm ahead of the closer in the 'Andrew Miler' type role (Hader, Bradley, etc) 

1 hour ago, Malefide said:

He was?? When was this stretch because every season he was great, there were better closers, aside from 2016 I guess arguable (still multiple closers with more saves)

They certainly have shown they don't always trust him against Lefties (which is when Devenski gets a chance) but they have also always gone back to him by default. The market has always been dictating that closers on one team often become setup men on others (Colome, Kintzler as examples) because teams are valuing having a stronger arm ahead of the closer in the 'Andrew Miler' type role (Hader, Bradley, etc) 

Number of saves isn't necessarily how you judge a closer.  I would think everyone on here knows that.  His ERA and WHIP were pretty awesome in 2014 and 2015.

Colome and Kintzler aren't really comprable.  Chapman is a better comparison (if he looks to be back to full strength, which is a huge question)

Edited by The Waker
5 hours ago, Malefide said:

3 Years, 2014-2016

Combined: 1.38 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 120 Saves.

In all 3 seasons his ERA was below 2, WHIP below 1, and 35+ saves each and every year. 

...now this is 2018, but point is yes, he was a top closer in the game for 3 years and should have/could have won the Cy Young in 2016.

Edited by StevieStats
  • Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Supposed to be activated today.  Imagine he will start out in a set-up role, but is the closer's job pretty much his for the taking?  Is it a matter of when not if?  And if so, how long before he could be back in that role?

1 hour ago, ToO_BaD said:

Supposed to be activated today.  Imagine he will start out in a set-up role, but is the closer's job pretty much his for the taking?  Is it a matter of when not if?  And if so, how long before he could be back in that role?

I'd guess after 1 successful non setup role outing.  

They want to show he's still a dominant closer before trading him