NBC Sports Edge Forums

Zach Britton 2018 Outlook

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

3 Years, 2014-2016   Combined: 1.38 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 120 Saves.   In all 3 seasons his ERA was below 2, WHIP below 1, and 35+ saves each and every year.    ...now this is

O’s committee has 13 saves and 5 BS. Thats plenty enough opps to make a great closer like Britton valuable. 

hand, herrera, familia, kela, etc are all closers on "non-competitive" teams, and all are obviously worth owning....

Britton is going to be a free agent . Unless Baltimore gets offered a lot for Britton I think they hold him and give him a QO. Kimbrel and Cody Allen also FA . All are about the same age . Allen a year younger in numbers anyway . Andrew Miller a FA but is 34 . Who would replace Britton that is really any good ? O'Day ? Nah . Brach ? Nah .Castro ? Nah Givens ? Nah ! 

I suggested A trade to Houston since they almost did a deal last year . But the emergence of Rodon may have changed that . Plus I think Herrera comes cheaper . Therefore I'm thinking Britton stays to the bitter end . 

IMO Closers are just not worth keeping for a non-competitive team.  Closers are easy to create internally, hence why we see so much volatility at the position.

11 minutes ago, STLSU said:

IMO Closers are just not worth keeping for a non-competitive team.  Closers are easy to create internally, hence why we see so much volatility at the position.

hand, herrera, familia, kela, etc are all closers on "non-competitive" teams, and all are obviously worth owning....

• Like 2

[ Yeah, I interpreted it as "MLB teams" as well, and that's a fine discussion to have here as long as it stays connected to Britton's fantasy value.  What we absolutely can't have here is yet another rehash of the "pay for saves or not" argument, so let's back away from that ledge now. ]

Baltimore has had such horrific FO leadership that they should maximize all their investments that have team control for the next 2-3 seasons IMO.  They are absolutely banished to cellar dwelling for that time.

6 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

O's suck but if you look at their wins they're all close games for the most part.  So yea I think Britton will get a lot of action.  Plenty of closers have been collecting dust this year anyway.

they have also lost some games due to bullpen. His return will only make them better, even if they are still a bad team. Bad teams play close games like you said. 

1 hour ago, Zombies said:

Even the worst team in the league wins 60 games and most of those wins will probably be close...Britton will have plenty of save ops...

I guess I just don't understand why a non-competitive club like the Orioles would want to hold onto a guy in his final year of arbitration at $12M/a year.  They are going nowhere.

Edited by STLSU

Britton won't net a Chapman level return, because that was Cubs' poor negotiating tactics.  He should get a couple of mid level prospects minimum I would think.  You look at a team like Houston and they probably could upgrade from Giles.

1 minute ago, STLSU said:

Britton won't net a Chapman level return, because that was Cubs' poor negotiating tactics.  He should get a couple of mid level prospects minimum I would think.  You look at a team like Houston and they probably could upgrade from Giles. Rondon.

fixed.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, STLSU said:

I guess I just don't understand why a non-competitive club like the Orioles would want to hold onto a guy in his final year of arbitration at $12M/a year.  They are going nowhere.

They probably won't...Hopefully he gets moved to a team that needs a closer so he doesn't get relegated to a setup role...

3 hours ago, Zombies said:

Even the worst team in the league wins 60 games and most of those wins will probably be close...Britton will have plenty of save ops...

When ever the subject comes up about closers on bad teams I have to remind anybody that's played fantasy fur more than 10 years anoutvthe name Danny Kolb 

He took over the closers role fir the lowly Brewers . They were the worse team in baseball . If memeory serves my correctly he closed out 23-25 games AFTER the ASB . And we all know it's not really the second half . It's like 68-70 games .Thag year the Brewers had more save chances than the Yankees . 

Cleveland is a top team . How many saves dies Allen have ? 11-12 ? 

How about Shane Green ot the Tigers ? Not always about the top teams . Kimbrel didn't have many  save chances before the last 3-4 weeks . Boston strung together a crap load of wins but they were by 4-5- 6 runs . Kimbrel wasn't needed 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...