NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Dansby Swanson worth #1 waiver? WHIR

Trifecta

Not sure why he was dropped, but in a 12 team league with deep benches, he seems like a decent use of my #1 waiver.  Talented young bats that are also hot don't get dropped very often. 

Batting cats: H, R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, OPS

My bats:

Contreras

Freeman

Schoop

Sano

Bregman

Mookie

Rosario

Puig

Mazara

Jose Martinez

Avisail Garcia

Matt Davidson

Flaherty is also available a free agent if I were so inclined to roster the entire braves infield haha.

I wouldn't use my #1 waiver on Dansby, but you would know the culture of your league better than I would. In my experience there will be a more valuable pickup in the next month or two that you will really utilize the waiver on, and Dansby isn't a priority at all with Bregman on your team.

I guess I should point out i start all the bats listed (4 OF and 3 util slots). Daniel Murphy is in the DL.  All my bench slots are currently occupied by pitching.

I wouldn't do this.  A singles hitter who hit .232 in his first full season.  He hits 6th or 7th in the lineup which will keep his run total down, and his chances for high RBI and HR totals don't look very good to me.  Did I mention that he has little speed?  He had a nice series over the weekend but that was in Coors.  Save that waiver pick.

1 hour ago, Mobdad said:

I wouldn't do this.  A singles hitter who hit .232 in his first full season.  He hits 6th or 7th in the lineup which will keep his run total down, and his chances for high RBI and HR totals don't look very good to me.  Did I mention that he has little speed?  He had a nice series over the weekend but that was in Coors.  Save that waiver pick.

Little speed?

Don't listen to this guy, he obviously doesn't have a clue of Swanson's tools.

Swanson has high end MLB speed:

He's also got much more potential than a singles hitter. Sure, you graze his stat line last year there's nothing to see, but tools wise he's much more than a singles hitter. 

Whether he's going to realize this potential this year is a tough call, but the upside to him is certainly worthy of the #1 waiver... but it all depends how deep the league is, how deep the wire is, and how large the bench is, if you are used to seeing good talent get dropped. How many players do you start? If there is an MI slot I think I grab him.

50 minutes ago, StevieStats said:

Little speed?   Don't listen to this guy, he obviously doesn't have a clue of Swanson's tools.

Swanson has high end MLB speed:

I admit I have no idea how fast he is, but 3 SB in 144 games last year does not equate to high end MLB speed.  Just for context, Swanson had the same amount of stolen bases as the speedy Albert Pujols.  Maybe is is really fast but just chooses not to steal bases.  That doesn't do his fantasy owners much good.

1 hour ago, Mobdad said:

I admit I have no idea how fast he is, but 3 SB in 144 games last year does not equate to high end MLB speed.  Just for context, Swanson had the same amount of stolen bases as the speedy Albert Pujols.  Maybe is is really fast but just chooses not to steal bases.  That doesn't do his fantasy owners much good.

Did you realise how ridiculous of a way that is looking at things?

Huge difference between stats and tools. Especially when the guy in question hasn't even broken out yet. The whole point of a breakout is that the guy hasn't succeed in theMLB yet.

1 hour ago, StevieStats said:

Did you realise how ridiculous of a way that is looking at things?

Huge difference between stats and tools.  Especially when the guy in question hasn't even broken out yet.  The whole point of a breakout is that the guy hasn't succeed in theMLB yet.

"Huge difference between stats and tools" - There is even a bigger difference between tools and actual performance in the MLB.  You want tools?  Buy a hammer.  Stats win fantasy leagues.

"Especially when the guy in question hasn't even broken out yet" - Yet?  There is no indication that Swanson will ever break out.

"The whole point of a breakout is that the guy hasn't succeed in theMLB yet" - Wrong, the whole point of a breakout is a player actually breaking out.  Anyone might breakout.

Swanson has a great pedigree and may break out one day.  Maybe even this year.  Until then, "Show me the money".  It was my opinion not to waste a #1 waiver on Swanson and I stand by it. 

5 hours ago, kujoking7 said:

Is this a redraft league or a dynasty? In a dynasty I would probably scoop him up with #1. Redraft, I think I'd pass. If you had Xander and needed a replacement I'd say sure, but you don't really have a need for him on your roster.

This would be my approach.

Return the favor?

14 hours ago, Mobdad said:

"Huge difference between stats and tools" - There is even a bigger difference between tools and actual performance in the MLB.  You want tools?  Buy a hammer.  Stats win fantasy leagues.

"Especially when the guy in question hasn't even broken out yet" - Yet?  There is no indication that Swanson will ever break out.

"The whole point of a breakout is that the guy hasn't succeed in theMLB yet" - Wrong, the whole point of a breakout is a player actually breaking out.  Anyone might breakout.

Swanson has a great pedigree and may break out one day.  Maybe even this year.  Until then, "Show me the money".  It was my opinion not to waste a #1 waiver on Swanson and I stand by it. 

Hey, if you don't want to use #1 on Swanson or feel he isn't breaking out that's all fair game. He could suck again.

But you completely miss the context of stats/tools... you said Swanson wasn't even fast because he didn't have many SB last year, which is just flat out wrong, he has high end speed despite the lack of stolen base stat... The point is he has the raw tools to produce steals, but he has not done so yet. That's a big difference than a guy with few steals and has no speed/stealing ability.

Swanson has great tools, but has not yet produced at the MLB level... He has the potential to be a big time contributor because of his tools. 

In the grand scheme of things your breakout players have great ability/tools, but have not yet produced... What you want to avoid is players with poor tools that have a hot streak. 

Swanson doesn't have poor ability/tools like you stated. He has great ability/tools he's a plus hitter, plus speed, with good pop. He is not a slow singles hitter... so that checks 1 box you are looking for... next it's a question of whether he is realistically going to produce THIS year, and that's the debatable part.

Edited by StevieStats

18 hours ago, kujoking7 said:

Is this a redraft league or a dynasty? In a dynasty I would probably scoop him up with #1. Redraft, I think I'd pass. If you had Xander and needed a replacement I'd say sure, but you don't really have a need for him on your roster.

this

that said .... if this was a dynasty he wouldn't have been dropped.