NBC Sports Edge Forums

• tonycpsu changed the title to Ronald Guzman 2018 Outlook

I've always liked this guy.  More valuable in an OBP league, imo.  Until he starts to show some power he is going to get the "James Loney" tag.  I do think he will be a late bloomer and believe that as he is growing into his long frame his power will develop.  Time will tell. 

Edited by BigPapi44

http://rotoprofessor.com/prospects/?p=2287

Will The Recently Recalled Ronald Guzman Make An Impact? The Odds Are Against It…

This is part of the fallout from the Elvis Andrus injury, as it appears the team with utilize Drew Robinson at 2B (at least part of the time) and Jurickson Profar at SS. That opens up a spot in the outfield, at least for now, and instead of summoning Willie Calhoun the Rangers will instead shift Joey Gallo to the outfield (at least part of the time) and give Guzman the playing time at first base.

Our fifth ranked Rangers’ prospect prior to the season, he received a “B-“ grade as we said:

Guzman is supposed to bring power to the table, though he’s yet to show it (12 HR in 470 AB at Triple-A last season). He was able to post a 16.1% strikeout rate last season, but his 10.7% SwStr% and history (19.7% strikeout rate at Double-A in ’16) tell a little bit of a different story. It’s easy to envision the strikeouts rising, and if the power doesn’t start to translate the results will be disastrous. The upside remains, but entering the year as a 23-year old the time is now to start living up to the hype before the value completely disappears.

Guzman had gotten off to a strong start, hitting .412 over his first five games at Triple-A this season. That said he still hadn’t shown power (0 HR) and while he hadn’t struck out much (4 K) his SwStr% was 12.1%. Small sample size or not, it’s a continuation of the concerns we had prior to the season (and he’s obviously benefited from an unsustainable .538 BABIP).

Guzman also appears to be a prime candidate for a platoon, given these splits last year:

• vs. RHP – .315/.394/.477
  • vs. LHP – .259/.321/.336

It’s easy to imagine MLB pitching exposing him in regards to the strikeouts and if he wasn’t hitting for power in the Pacific Coast League what makes us think he will suddenly find his power stroke at the highest level? Sure there’s time, as he’s just 23-years old, but in the short-term there’s little reason to get excited.

• Thanks 2
  • 1 month later...
23 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

So he homers in 3 straight games and is on a hot streak and yet Ryan Rua is out there playing 1B tonight.   Sounds about right. <_<

4 straight games he's started he's hit a HR.  Wish they would move him up in the lineup.  Hard to ignore that he's showing some improvement.  His BB to K ratio in the minors has always been very strong and it seems over the past couple weeks he has been cutting down on the Ks.

Edited by BigPapi44
  • Like 1
20 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

4 straight games he's started he's hit a HR.  Wish they would move him up in the lineup.  Hard to ignore that he's showing some improvement.  His BB to K ratio in the minors has always been very strong and it seems over the past couple weeks he has been cutting down on the Ks.

Just missed another HR.  RBI double.  The average is starting to climb.  Another few good games and your buying window may close.

3 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Just missed another HR.  RBI double.  The average is starting to climb.  Another few good games and your buying window may close.

The window is closed in all four of my leagues and I closed it in 3 out of 4 of them but got beaten by a week in the last one.  This guy was a decent prospect and may not end up as a first tier 1B but at least second tier with the chance to move up to first tier as he grows up some more.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, mortl said:

has anyone watched his at bats? legit ? Player comparison ?? 

He gets a lazy James Loney comparison, as a left handed first baseman that gets on base (in the minors good BB/K rate) but won't hit for power.  Guzman is very tall and very thin.  He has a nice left handed swing.  The power is starting to develop and I do think he can hit 25-30 Hrs with a good average/OBP, especially playing half his games in Texas.

• Like 1

Guzman is 6”4  225lbs so there should be power there. He admittedly doesn’t make it part of his game for whatever reason.

this is a quote from an article I read:

"I don't consider myself a power hitter," Guzman said. "I know it's there, but I don't like thinking about it. At first I was like, 'Oh, yeah, I'm going to try to hit for more home runs,' but then I got to spring training and I was like, 'Oh, that's not me.'

he did have a small power binge recently when he hit 4 homers in 5-6 games so he is capable. I’m not saying he will hit 40 homers but as someone said above, I think he can be a 25 homer guy with solid average/OBP.

Let it loose Ronald, let’s see what happens.

He had a great game last night reaching base 5 times with 3 RBI out of the 8 hole.  

• 4 weeks later...

Yahoo still does not have him on the concussion DL.  WTF.  It's been nearly two days since the report he was placed on it.  Anyone have success with contacting them in the past with a situation like this?

4 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

Yahoo still does not have him on the concussion DL.  WTF.  It's been nearly two days since the report he was placed on it.  Anyone have success with contacting them in the past with a situation like this?

Give them a try.  I can't help because I'm banned already for asking them legit questions.  I hear they have a twitter account so you could try that too.  Squeaky wheel gets the grease ... until squeaky wheel gets banned, haha.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1