NBC Sports Edge Forums

Cincinnati Reds 2018 Outlook

8 minutes ago, Fantasy Dork said:

The biggest question as far as I’m concerned is how does this affect Amir Garrett?

Was it just Price who was insisting he stay in the bullpen or did that decision come from the front office?

There was an open spot for a start on April 3 and Price elected to start Cody Reed because he wanted Garrett in the bullpen. Finnegan has that rotation spot now and continues to show no control with his over 2 WHIP. I see no reason why Garrett shouldn’t start over him, and hopefully the new manager will agree.

36 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

A mid-season firing of a baseball manager seems silly, idk.

Mid season?  He didn't even see sunshine yet ?

Whatever. He sucked anyway

23 minutes ago, Spuds said:

This should’ve happened in the offseason but better late than never.

The Reds -- all MLB teams for that matter -- should just hire a new manager every year if the results at year-end are poor.

Who knows, maybe they get lucky and find the next Francona.

Instead the Reds got four-plus years of Price.

Your usual RotoWorld blurb:

Reds fired manager Bryan Price.

And pitching coach Mack Jenkins will follow him out the door. Price takes the fall for a Reds team that has opened the season with a dreadful 3-15 record and -46 run differential, both worst in the major leagues. Price didn't have a winning season in his four-plus years in Cincinnati, though he also never had a very good roster. Jim Riggleman will take over as interim manager, Louisville manager Pat Kelly has been promoted to be the Reds' bench coach, and Pensacola pitching coach Danny Darwin is now on the major league staff.

Source: Cincinnati Reds on Twitter          Apr 19 - 8:41 AM

This is probably the first good news poor Reds fans have had in some time.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
3 hours ago, klove42 said:

I hope it has some sort of positive impact on that offense. Hamilton is brutal right now with that K%. 

I mean, the only way is up at this point regarding the offense as a whole. But, I don't think anything can help Billy at this point. The kid just can't hit the ball. His fantasy value is plummeting at this point.  

At least they were able to can him. This isn't something that happens often in Cincinnati coughmarvinlewiscough. 

Hopefully the change gives a positive opportunity for the new leaders and the players can take a different look at how they're performing to take a step in the right direction. I mean, damn, this team is drastically different from the one that was in the playoffs not too long ago.. 

Agree about Billy. It reminds me of all the work they put into Drew Stubbs's plate approach, haha. It just never really worked out. 

Price had this coming.  Too many lineups with Hamilton and Peraza, the worst hitters on the team, batting 1 and 2.  

I actually thought the Reds were taking the tanking to the next level with their lineup cards...  

Did Price not realize you are supposed to bat your best hitters and on base guys at the top of the order? 

In his defense, he has next to nothing to work with. With Suarez and Schebler down, it even further complicates the line up card. Winker got hurt which forced Billy at the top again. Peraza in the 2 hole is just a disaster though. Just put Votto there and have one of Schebler (when he returns), Duvall, Gennett knock him in over and over. But even Votto was doing nothing which is typical of his April. Just an ugly situation all around.

• tonycpsu changed the title to Cincinnati Reds 2018 Outlook
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Root Admin

How terrible is this starting staff???  Homer blown up again.  They're 2nd best pitcher has a FIP over 6 and a K/BB ratio of 1.19.  Mahle looks like he could stick as a 4/5 starter but the rest of simply but god awful.  

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Spuds said:

Homer Bailey, possibly the worst contract in baseball.

Rusney Castillo -- he never even made it up to the majors except for a cup of coffee.  At least Home Run Bailey got one good season in which was how he got the contract t start with.  (Dodgers had a Cuban prospect that never made it they signed to a bad contract too but I forget his name).

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Thanks 1