NBC Sports EDGE Forums

Mac Williamson 2018 Outlook

FUM

2 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

He did it again!  Bingo bango bongo, I wanna see these moon shots going out of AT&T next week.

Is he the across the country rehab version of Juan Soto?  Ok, maybe not, but this is still an impressive display of power that has come out of nowhere by him since he was brought up before he got hurt.

Also, no, I don't see how they can give Pence his job back if Williamson does anything close to what he has been doing before and after the concussion.

23 hours ago, jb_power said:

well the SF outfield yesterday had

LF - Gregor Blanco

CF - Gorkys Hernandez

RF - McCutcheon

Looks like there is plenty of room for Pence and Big Mac

Actually I believe Belt made the start in LF (Hundley caught and Posey played 1B) - but yes I do get the main point that they need some actual OF bench depth.

8 hours ago, hgh22 said:

you can't fix stupid.

Pretty much.  While a poster above makes a good point about them facing Cole and Verlander, and while that may not be ideal for fantasy (he could very well go 0-8 in his first two games back if he gets activated), it's still quite stupid to not activate him from a MLB perspective.  I know he's coming back from a bad concussion, but it's quite obvious he is fine since he's hit HR's in almost all of his rehab games (at least the ones that get posted in here).  Why waste the production anymore when he's obviously fine?

26 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Pretty much.  While a poster above makes a good point about them facing Cole and Verlander, and while that may not be ideal for fantasy (he could very well go 0-8 in his first two games back if he gets activated), it's still quite stupid to not activate him from a MLB perspective.  I know he's coming back from a bad concussion, but it's quite obvious he is fine since he's hit HR's in almost all of his rehab games (at least the ones that get posted in here).  Why waste the production anymore when he's obviously fine?

I’m not sure he’s fine though. It seems like they took him out prior to the start of the bottom of the 6th on Saturday then he sat out Sunday. I can’t seem to find anything that mentions a setback but it looks like they’re really concerned about the possibility of a recurrence of his symptoms. I was hoping to start him this week in weekly leagues but it looks like I’ll have to wait a week. Everything I can find seems to indicate he should be back in the Triple A lineup tonight but they’re taking it slow.

Edited by meh2

2 minutes ago, St3v3k4hn said:

So now we’re thinking Friday? I wanna see what he can do over a longer stretch...

Ugh.

Hunter Pence (thumb) hit a grand slam in a rehab game Tuesday with Triple-A Sacramento.

He also had an RBI single, driving in five total runs on the night. Pence has made some mechanical adjustments to his swing while on the disabled list with a right thumb sprain and he is suddenly batting .319 over 76 total plate appearances at the Triple-A level. The 35-year-old outfielder should be activated by the Giants within the next several days.

1 minute ago, smeeze said:

Ugh.

Hunter Pence (thumb) hit a grand slam in a rehab game Tuesday with Triple-A Sacramento.

He also had an RBI single, driving in five total runs on the night. Pence has made some mechanical adjustments to his swing while on the disabled list with a right thumb sprain and he is suddenly batting .319 over 76 total plate appearances at the Triple-A level. The 35-year-old outfielder should be activated by the Giants within the next several days.

Does Pence matter though?  Beyond Cutch the SF OF is pretty lifeless.  Hasn't the long term plan been to have McCutcheon, Pence, and Williamson in the OF together?  Or is there some defensive positioning that won't fly with those 3?

5 minutes ago, handyandy86 said:

Does Pence matter though?  Beyond Cutch the SF OF is pretty lifeless.  Hasn't the long term plan been to have McCutcheon, Pence, and Williamson in the OF together?  Or is there some defensive positioning that won't fly with those 3?

None of them can really play CF and moving Belt to full-time 1B means Posey has to catch every day I guess? I'm not an expert on the Giants lineup but if the team is committing to Pence it could come at Mac's expense I think...

25 minutes ago, smeeze said:

None of them can really play CF and moving Belt to full-time 1B means Posey has to catch every day I guess? I'm not an expert on the Giants lineup but if the team is committing to Pence it could come at Mac's expense I think...

I mean this is the first year in mccutchens career he hasn’t played CF, don’t see why the 2 time gold glove winner can’t move back.  He even express frustration over moving to right earlier in the season.  Mac mccutchen and pence are their best bats and they need them all to be in and hitting

2 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

I mean this is the first year in mccutchens career he hasn’t played CF, don’t see why the 2 time gold glove winner can’t move back.  He even express frustration over moving to right earlier in the season.  Mac mccutchen and pence are their best bats and they need them all to be in and hitting

That still doesn't solve the Belt problem... if he splits time between 1B and LF, I guess Pence will be sitting.

3 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

He can't play CF anymore and might even be a defensive liability in RF according to the stats.

SF is one of the toughest CF's in all of baseball and they learned the last couple of years trying to fake it with Span out there that having a guy in center that can't play it is a terrible idea.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, smeeze said:

That still doesn't solve the Belt problem... if he splits time between 1B and LF, I guess Pence will be sitting.

What is the Belt problem?

Belt is only playing LF because of the injuries. Once they bring Pence and Mac back up, Belt will be back at first full time.

The problem is that they don't want to cut Gorkys or Blanco and lose an OF, but they need to do something.  Neither one of those guys should be getting full-time AB's.  I sense a phantom DL stint coming up for one of them or Jackson to make room. 

2 minutes ago, The Czar said:

What is the Belt problem?

Belt is only playing LF because of the injuries. Once they bring Pence and Mac back up, Belt will be back at first full time.

The problem is that they don't want to cut Gorkys or Blanco and lose an OF, but they need to do something.  Neither one of those guys should be getting full-time AB's.  I sense a phantom DL stint coming up for one of them or Jackson to make room. 

Where does Belt play when they want to play Posey at 1B? Again, I'm not really familiar with SF's lineups, it's a genuine question.

2 minutes ago, smeeze said:

Where does Belt play when they want to play Posey at 1B? Again, I'm not really familiar with SF's lineups, it's a genuine question.

Belt was only sitting against really tough lefties like say Kershaw so they could get more righties in there with Posey and Hundley.  They don't want to play Posey at first that much this season. The whole point of bringing in a quality backup like Hundley was to sit Posey more to preserve him.  So, I think once healthy, Posey won't catch or play in day games after night games and will only play first when Belt needs a day off.

Belt only went to the OF because of the injuries.  It wasn't part of the plan.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Czar said:

Belt was only sitting against really tough lefties like say Kershaw so they could get more righties in there with Posey and Hundley.  They don't want to play Posey at first that much this season. The whole point of bringing in a quality backup like Hundley was to sit Posey more to preserve him.  So, I think once healthy, Posey won't catch or play in day games after night games and will only play first when Belt needs a day off.

Belt only went to the OF because of the injuries.  It wasn't part of the plan.  

Gotcha, thanks. Do you expect Mac to get full time ABs when he gets back?

31 minutes ago, BackyardBaseball said:

I mean this is the first year in mccutchens career he hasn’t played CF, don’t see why the 2 time gold glove winner can’t move back.

Because he's terrible in CF

• Like 1