NBC Sports Edge Forums
Message added by tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2019.]

https://www.mlb.com/news/athletics-recall-mark-canha/c-271336612

Guy had a monster spring and was sent down to learn CF a little better. He has sown some promise in the past and gotten hurt.  He's hitting over 300 and slugging over 600 in a small sample size so far, but he's a very interesting guy to watch, particularly for deeper leagues and 5 OF leagues.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Another FBRev guy (Canha) who disappeared for a couple of years then reappeared with a tweaked approach at the plate.

If you have an articles or tweets that say he changed his approach or something, drop em. Having a hard time finding anything good. 

46 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

If you have an articles or tweets that say he changed his approach or something, drop em. Having a hard time finding anything good. 

He's a long time Baseball Rebellion trained guy.  Go to their site and spend the next few months enjoying some amazing thoughts and processes on hitting.  JK and Chas are some of the leaders of the swing mechanic revolution.  I consider them mentors and we've never even met. 

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, WahooManiac said:

Very interesting read!  Do we think a breakout is possible? Was he already better than we thought but just kept getting hurt?

In terms of playing time they don't have the greatest outfield. Currently matt Joyce vs righties along with him and psicotty. The  interesting player that's close is probably Fowler. I feel like he has an excellent shot to keep a regular lineup spot, and I'd also add in the As aren't  ad weak a lineup as some may have expected.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Very interesting read!  Do we think a breakout is possible? Was he already better than we thought but just kept getting hurt?

In terms of playing time they don't have the greatest outfield. Currently matt Joyce vs righties along with him and psicotty. The  interesting player that's close is probably Fowler. I feel like he has an excellent shot to keep a regular lineup spot, and I'd also add in the As aren't  ad weak a lineup as some may have expected.

Tough to answer.  I expect the swing changes to give him the best chance at a breakout that he can possibly have.  Whether he's good enough to play up here,  who knows. But he's got a good gameplan anyway

Just crushed a go ahead homer (his fifth) in the ninth off Edwin Diaz. Three hits on the night raising his average to .339. Guy is locked and loaded.

Edited by Jub Jub
1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

What is up with this guy? Nice start to the season for him. 

People are sleeping on him like they did Soler a few weeks ago.

Canha is good, potentially an OF 3 in 12 teamers, probably a 4-5 though. Seems like he will hit for decent power and the average will dictate his value.

I like him. I'm buying him having a good swing as well as being under the radar be you injuries.

• Like 2

There’s something about As players, they are consistently overlooked. Jed Lowrie getting no recognition either. Maybe it’s east coast bias.

Canha should have job security after this start to the season. Boog Powell’s injury helped. K and BB numbers are better than Pinder (who I also like, and expect to play often). 

Should be owned in most leagues.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

People are sleeping on him like they did Soler a few weeks ago.

Canha is good, potentially an OF 3 in 12 teamers, probably a 4-5 though. Seems like he will hit for decent power and the average will dictate his value.

I like him. I'm buying him having a good swing as well as being under the radar be you injuries.

No sleeping here :). I'm curious to see what kind of player he settles into this year. He's obviously not going to keep this pace up all season, but I wonder if he might be able to end up as a .270-.280 hitter with 25ish HRs. 

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...