NBC Sports Edge Forums

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

go rain!!!!! my team cant hit or pitch anyways so i might as well hope they all get rained out

#Nerd #AlsothoughtIreadVogelsongatfirst

#automatethestrikezone   I don't spend money and time to watch these home plate umpires influence the game with their strike zone "preferences".

1 minute ago, RedRaider27 said:

Hoping for a nice rebound from Weaver. Let's go kid!

Me too obviously.  He should rebound, especially since there was plenty of bad luck in his last start from what people said on here (a lot of seeing eye singles).

Edited by KilloWertz
On 4/22/2018 at 9:44 AM, taobball said:

Keeping an Eye On:

Andrew Cashner's Pitch Mix v. Cleveland I don't think Cashner's a great pitcher by any stretch, but he's uses the Cutter/Curve/Change a bit more than he has before and those three pitches haven't gottne him killed in his last 196+ IP between 2017 and 2018. Bad park, likely to give up more HRs in weather, but a solid streamer in the right match-up. 

LIrano home v. KC Fell apart in the 6th after 5 strong (though the RP giving up a walk and a GS are not ideal). Solid streamer with more talent and a better division and park than the above. 

Y. Chirinos as an official member of the rotation Another solid outing though at 4.2 IP. 

My boy Nick Pivetta getting thrown out there. Loved to see another strong outing by Nick pivetta. 

Another favorite Reynaldo Lopez taking on McCullers Was a bit wild and actually had one of his worst command games IMO but also found he was hard to square up and had a promising start v. the Astros. 

Junior Guerra v.  Carson Smith Guerra was solid until the 10th. Carson Smith who I started the thread on because of potential upside. 10 K 0 BB. Elite handful have done that this year. Smith might not be consistent yet-- but neither are plenty of other pitchers. Worth the flier. If he turns the corner he'll be a true fantasy gem. 

Luis Castillo I need to watch him play more. 

Jose Quintana Bad ERA, but great K/BB in coors. 

Mengden I had Mengden in my top 250 preseason. I didn't like what I saw the first coupel starts but he's turned it around. He's got a pretty nice deep secondary arsenal and in Oakland all you relaly need is fastball location on a game to game basis to survive in terms of ERA. 

That "bluechip"matchup of Corbin v. Lucchesi. Was pretty good, though Lucchesi's poor command finally bit him. His Command's been overrated to date and he's struggled with location far more than you can see in the numbers if you watch him pitch and miss spots. I still think he's a good pitcher, but IMO he's more of a work in prgoress than some realize. Still love a lot of what I've seen. 

18 hours ago, taobball said:

Mike Folty v. Cincy should be good. Got out before things got terrible. Good Ks make up for the lack of IP, walks, and overall not great performance from an actual baseball perspective. 

Cole v. Skaggs is at the very top of my list... aside from possibly... Gerrit's an Ace, ignore him. LOVED what I saw from Tyler Skaggs. Didn't have his best curveball again, went to the Change-Up more than he has all year. Got weak ground ball contact. Didn't have a K for the first four innings but I don't think he got a single out in the outfield either until at least the fourth. A lot of soft ground ball contact. A lot of getting great Astros hitters off balance or out in front of off-speed offerings. Also was throwing a running 2-seam a bit more that was a bit interesting. FB command was the bset I've seen from him and that's the real lynchpin here. FB has good life and if he mixes it with a solid change-up and plus curveball that's all he needs to be, say, an Aaron Nola type of value. Worse league (AL) and worst division (AL West) but best Defense and good Park for Skaggs. LOVE Tyler Skaggs, have for years and followed his return from TJS closely. Encouraged by this start. 

Walker Buehler v. the Marlins should be great. Great streamer. First start is going to be excellent *knocks on wood*. I'm excited to see this. Opponent Jarlin will not be bad to watch as well. Caught some of this start. going to do more research on Jarlin though he seems pretty strong in the early performance. Walker's command needs work but if he's throwing the Four-Seam and the 2-Seam well in tandem that will be enough for him to get through major league orders at least once. I think teh Curve is pretty strong as well he just needs to work on the command of hte breaking ball. 

Tanaka and Gausman have been bad to date. Gausman I think showed some positive signs last time out. Tanaka not so much. Tanaka needed this one. I sitll don't have faith but I'd love to see him start stringing them together. Gausman still working on primarily FA+Splitter. It works.... if you can command hte FA really well. 

Very intrigued by stratton as well. I'm going to profile stratton for an upocming piece now. 

Keeping an eye on: 

The Ghosttown that is Tyler Chatwood

Porcello v. Happ, the latter is a more undervalued SP IMO.

Ohtani v. Morton probably the marquis match-up of the day. Winner gets sole hold of the AL-West. Maybe the best velocity match-up of the year. Ohtani looking to reboudn in terms of FA command. 

Marco Gonzales day.

Sabathia making his return against maybe my personal favorite SP in Jose Berrios

McCarthy and Mahle I think is an underrated one. Mccarthy will be a solid streamer and Mahle neeeds to show more secondary stuff but has a good framework for a future mid-rotation to back-end rotation SP.

Does Cobb have anything in the tank?

Triggs v. Hamels? Either worth it in mixed?

Davies v. Kennedy, two streamers.

Wheeler v. Weaver -- Very intrigued for this one. Both need "bouncebacks" though Wheeler survived his last outing much better.

I LOVED Tanner Roark last year. He looks so much like the 2016 version again. I have Roark as approaching top 30 SP status. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 3
5 hours ago, midlip said:

Just traded for Berrios, would like to see him continue dominance against a good team tonight 

Also just acquired him. A little uneasy with him in The Bronx, though......

1 hour ago, nygiantsfan913 said:

go rain!!!!! my team cant hit or pitch anyways so i might as well hope they all get rained out

LOL!  Looks like the rain could well win in a few games too.  One of those days you have to keep checking RotoGrinders and other weather sites up until game time.

4 hours ago, taobball said:

Junior Guerra v.  Carson Smith Guerra was solid until the 10th. Carson Smith who I started the thread on because of potential upside. 10 K 0 BB. Elite handful have done that this year. Smith might not be consistent yet-- but neither are plenty of other pitchers. Worth the flier. If he turns the corner he'll be a true fantasy gem.  

Caleb Smith is the Marlins starting pitcher.  Carson Smith is a reliever for the Red Sox.

Agreed with the analysis though - I'm intrigued.

1 minute ago, JFS179 said:

Caleb Smith is the Marlins starting pitcher.  Carson Smith is a reliever for the Red Sox.

Agreed with the analysis though - I'm intrigued.

I did notice that a bit after the fact but I either couldn't edit it any more or figured I might be able to get away with it. 

Caleb Smith though has been missing bats at an elite rate all season. But most of the things I would say are in one of his two posts in his thread. I caught some of the game particularly the end live, but I actually happen to be watching this game right now (Smith v. Guerra). 

I even tweeted it (which is significant, because I dont' tweet much) but Smith is 1.1% owned and I think that's crazy. I wouldn't want to start him in a ton of match-ups but in most leagues you don't have to start every player on your roster and this guy has the same kind of  upside as a front line prospect realistically. If he's going to get a whiff% at the level he is the outcomes could range from 2016 Robbie Ray (bad ERA, 200 Ks) to 2017 ERA (Boss). 

And that's the comp btw. Could end up being a super reliever too. But if he can command / build repertoire he could be Robbie Ray. 

• Like 1