NBC Sports Edge Forums

1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Not entirely related, but the woman on ESPN that over-annunciates about half of the Hispanic baseball names she comes across, annoys the hell out of me. I mean, if you’re going to make that your thing, at least be consistent. She said JD Martinez like any of my fellow southerners would, but she pounced on Yoenis Cespedes like Belt did on that HR. 

I honestly can't watch an ESPN broadcast with the audio on.I avoid that unless it's a game I really want to see.I prefer having a competent broadcast team offering facts(and that Statcast crap ain't facts BTW) and professional observations.

• Like 1
  • Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

go rain!!!!! my team cant hit or pitch anyways so i might as well hope they all get rained out

#Nerd #AlsothoughtIreadVogelsongatfirst

#automatethestrikezone   I don't spend money and time to watch these home plate umpires influence the game with their strike zone "preferences".

3 hours ago, the real donny baseball said:

What is the deal with the Rockies broadcast? I'm trying to watch a baseball game and the last inning has been some chick talking about twitter with the camera mostly on her while she babbles,and the game is barely shown.

3 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

Not entirely related, but the woman on ESPN that over-annunciates about half of the Hispanic baseball names she comes across, annoys the hell out of me. I mean, if you’re going to make that your thing, at least be consistent. She said JD Martinez like any of my fellow southerners would, but she pounced on Yoenis Cespedes like Belt did on that HR. 

Ya'll need to chill. Jenny Cavnar wasn't the most adept broadcaster IMO her first time out but she wasn't that awful. There's plenty of poor commentators and commentary teams in baseball. Yes there was some poor planning at the end of the Rockies broadcast but it was an 8-0 game. Spoiled milk. 

And I don't know (for obvious reasons) who the woman on ESPN is, but if we're referring to Jessica Mendoza who does the Sunday night games with A-Rod I've never had a problem with her color commentary on that crew. She seems fairly well read, more well researched than most broadcasters, has plenty of baseball experience, and in general I think adds something to the broadcast. I suppose I've never compared or contrasted that to the negatives of annunciating names differently. 

/rant. 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, absknicks said:

It's all guys here man, you don't have to go all SJW on us. Mendoza isn't any good. 

I prefer her to what Kruk brought to the broadcasts.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, 96mnc said:

I prefer her to what Kruk brought to the broadcasts.

I tend to think all the national broadcasters stink. I think Smoltz is OK and if you consider Ron Darling a national guy (since he does TBS),  I like him too.

But in general, can't stand the national guys...  but maybe that's a product of baseball being such a regional sport that the knowledgeable fans of the two teams playing will always know more about their respective team than any national broadcaster will. 

Edited by absknicks
28 minutes ago, absknicks said:

It's all guys here man, you don't have to go all SJW on us. Mendoza isn't any good. 

I mean all commentary about sex aside I just do not agree on the latter. Building off what 96 said above, I prefer her over a ton of commentators who are just there because they played the sport and they definitely do not research players or know much about modern players. Mendoza may have made her accomplishments in Softball but they're still legitimate, but primarily and most importantly, when it comes to knowing players, strengths, adding things to the broadcast, etc., I find her to be above the average commentator. I won't get into an argument about about something so opinionated even further, but my opinion on Mendoza has nothing to do with her sex. The first time I heard her on the Sunday Night Baseball broadcast I don't remember what she said but she dropped a fact about a pitcher and was talking about his mixing in a way that impressed me a lot. I think she adds to the broadcast. I think there's plenty of entire commentary teams that do not offer anything to a broadcast. 

(Not directed at absknicks or anyone in particular:) 

Not putting commentary about sex aside, it's stupid to treat Jenny Cavnar and Jessica Mendoza to different standards because they're women. If you're going to bitch about bad commentary bitch about it all don't just bitch about just those two. I could fill this thread with the dumb things I hear from local and national broadcast teams on a Daily basis. 

But I digress. All I'm saying is let em do their thing. I don't wanna read every day about how Cavnar said something stupid or Mendoza said a name wrong. Hate em in private that's all I'm saying. 

Edited by taobball
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, absknicks said:

I can assure you I know there are some women active in this forum.  They don't post much or let their gender be known because of assumptions like this though.  I've been told by a couple of them they don't feel welcome here at times.  I can see why.  Everybody should be comfortable here.

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

I can assure you I know there are some women active in this forum.  They don't post much or let their gender be known because of assumptions like this though.  I've been told by a couple of them they don't feel welcome here at times.  I can see why.  Everybody should be comfortable here.

They feel unwelcomed because I made an offhanded comment about how it's all guys here? Seems like a stretch on your part.

If there's women posters who are active here, that's great. The more the merrier. Don't be so sensitive, bud. 

6 hours ago, absknicks said:

They feel unwelcomed because I made an offhanded comment about how it's all guys here? Seems like a stretch on your part.

If there's women posters who are active here, that's great. The more the merrier. Don't be so sensitive, bud. 

You don't see saying "it's all guys here" as a reason that someone shouldn't say something positive about broadcasters who are women because doing so would be going "all SJW" as problematic?

43 minutes ago, RAZRr1275 said:

You don't see saying "it's all guys here" as a reason that someone shouldn't say something positive about broadcasters who are women because doing so would be going "all SJW" as problematic?

My comment that started this was about the broadcast itself,not anyone's gender or qualifications.Some of these games are becoming unwatchable with all the non game related nonsense.

3 minutes ago, the real donny baseball said:

My comment that started this was about the broadcast itself,not anyone's gender or qualifications.Some of these games are becoming unwatchable with all the non game related nonsense.

You're fine. Not the best phrasing but my issue is pretty much just with the comment I quoted since that one was pretty blatant.