NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Acuna 2018 Outlook

Carlos Correa

15 minutes ago, garlando said:

Just for reference, I gave Acuna a rough prime projection of .285/.338 with 27 HRs and 23 SBs in my top 100 prospects rankings in the MiLB forums: 

i assume the counting stats were over a full season, so we'd need a minor adjustment for a months worth of lost time? roughly 15% decrease, if my quick math holds up..

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, osb_tensor said:

i assume the counting stats were over a full season, so we'd need a minor adjustment for a months worth of lost time? roughly 15% decrease, if my quick math holds up..

That's correct! Assuming the 15% decrease to those numbers (which aren't what I would be projecting from him this year as I was intending for it to be rough PRIME projection and this Acuna's first taste of the majors but nonetheless, it's certainly possible) that would be roughly 23 HRs and 20 SBs if my quick math is correct.

2 minutes ago, garlando said:

That's correct! Assuming the 15% decrease to those numbers (which aren't what I would be projecting from him this year as I was intending for it to be rough PRIME projection and this Acuna's first taste of the majors but nonetheless, it's certainly possible) that would be roughly 23 HRs and 20 SBs if my quick math is correct.

hah it was written right there.. "prime projection" i just missed it. thanks

Anyone seen him play in the field? Fangraphs has him at 50 grade fielder and a 70 arm. His hitting skill has been covered fairly thoroughly, but is he capable of playing CF? I’d guess with a 70 arm that left and right are both possibilities. 

1 minute ago, mavsfan23 said:

Anyone seen him play in the field? Fangraphs has him at 50 grade fielder and a 70 arm. His hitting skill has been covered fairly thoroughly, but is he capable of playing CF? I’d guess with a 70 arm that left and right are both possibilities. 

Are you in an outfield assists league?

1 minute ago, mavsfan23 said:

He is definitely capable of playing CF if Inciarte were to get hurt. 

1st to third on a hit to left field dude has easy speed.... and absolutely trying to tear the cover off the ball on his last k.... he's gonna be a good one as soon as he relaxes.... and we will all be talking about Acuna is espanol for Trout....

13 minutes ago, hard1 said:

1st to third on a hit to left field dude has easy speed.... and absolutely trying to tear the cover off the ball on his last k.... he's gonna be a good one as soon as he relaxes.... and we will all be talking about Acuna is espanol for Trout....

Trout is a once in a decade type talent.  If Acuna is half the player Trout is then he’ll be a real life and fantasy star.  

13 minutes ago, hard1 said:

well he was stealing on the first to third run...

I watched the game and came away feeling good about his night. He was a little impatient in his 3 ABs that resulted in outs especially his last AB in which he was trying to play hero. His first two outs he hit the ball well and the first one could have been a HR in warmer weather. His 2nd put he hit the ball on the screws for the lineout. His speed, as mentioned, was very impressive on the 1st to 3rd run on the single to shallow left. Can’t wait to go watch this kid this summer

7 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Trout is a once in a decade type talent.  If Acuna is half the player Trout is then he’ll be a real life and fantasy star.  

I started to say once in a half century, but your number does seem to work well:

10s: Trout

00s: A-Rod

90s: Bonds

80s: Henderson

A friend in the fantasy writing industry puts Acuna between Springer and Trout as prospects: that to me sounds like a great star if not the next Mickey Mantle.

3 hours ago, Johnny Tuttle said:

I started to say once in a half century, but your number does seem to work well:

10s: Trout

00s: A-Rod

90s: Bonds

80s: Henderson

A friend in the fantasy writing industry puts Acuna between Springer and Trout as prospects: that to me sounds like a great star if not the next Mickey Mantle.

i think i would have to take pujols over a-rod in the 2000's...but defense counts and i can certainly see the preference for either.

I get a-rod played a premium position but they both won the same amount of gold gloves.  I’d give the nod to Pujols because he put up his numbers sans steroids (at least to our knowledge).  

But it then again I may be biased.  

26 minutes ago, crotchcrickets said:

I get a-rod played a premium position but they both won the same amount of gold gloves.  I’d give the nod to Pujols because he put up his numbers sans steroids (at least to our knowledge).  

But it then again I may be biased.  

Judge it by fantasy.

Pujols in his prime was universally drafted over Arod.

1 hour ago, osb_tensor said:

i think i would have to take pujols over a-rod in the 2000's...but defense counts and i can certainly see the preference for either.

What about Miggy? I dont think picking one player per decade works.

1 hour ago, BohCountyBats said:

What about Miggy? I dont think picking one player per decade works.

this certainly isn't the right thread to have this discussion, but i can't resist a good topic!

arbitrary timelines, but it seems like a solid enough approach:

pujols' best 10 years (2001-2010): 77.3 WAR (7.73 avg/yr)

miggy's best 10 years (2005-2014): 57.5 WAR (5.75 avg/yr)

if you take miggy's lone bad year from his 10 year stretch, 2008, in which he only had 2.6 WAR and replace with 2016, his next best season at 4.7 WAR, you move miggy up to 59.6 in a 10 year span (5.96 avg/yr). either way, i think pujols was better overall than miggy. miggy was playing 3b for the majority of that time, and like a-rod, it's worth considering positional value, but miggy was a negative on defense throughout his entire career, so i'm not sure that it adds much value.

as good as miggy has been.. pujols was an absolute monster for 10 straight years. and as good as pujols was, trout is on pace to be even better. totally insane how good trout is! 

edit: for anyone wondering these are fangraphs WAR numbers, i suppose you could use bbref and end up with different numbers, but they're far enough apart overall that i don't think it would change the results.

Archived