NBC Sports Edge Forums

Ronald Acuna 2018 Outlook

Carlos Correa

• Replies 725
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, jb_power said:

so where is that guy going with the ball ... to Cooperstown?

Good for him.  Can't imagine the shock/excitement to be a Braves fan and be in that place to catch the ball.  I'm sure he'll get some autos etc to give the ball back to Acuna.

6 minutes ago, tonywow said:

Oh man, it's going to be a fun ride having Acuna and Albies on my team. ATL fans are lucky with these kids on the squad. Mix in Inciarte, Freeman, Nick, going to be a lot of runs scored for years to come.

Dansby as well, Bautista possibly being useful with Riley in the minors. Gonna be a stud lineup, might be now. 

2 hours ago, osb_tensor said:

this certainly isn't the right thread to have this discussion, but i can't resist a good topic!

arbitrary timelines, but it seems like a solid enough approach:

pujols' best 10 years (2001-2010): 77.3 WAR (7.73 avg/yr)

miggy's best 10 years (2005-2014): 57.5 WAR (5.75 avg/yr)

if you take miggy's lone bad year from his 10 year stretch, 2008, in which he only had 2.6 WAR and replace with 2016, his next best season at 4.7 WAR, you move miggy up to 59.6 in a 10 year span (5.96 avg/yr). either way, i think pujols was better overall than miggy. miggy was playing 3b for the majority of that time, and like a-rod, it's worth considering positional value, but miggy was a negative on defense throughout his entire career, so i'm not sure that it adds much value.

as good as miggy has been.. pujols was an absolute monster for 10 straight years. and as good as pujols was, trout is on pace to be even better. totally insane how good trout is! 

edit: for anyone wondering these are fangraphs WAR numbers, i suppose you could use bbref and end up with different numbers, but they're far enough apart overall that i don't think it would change the results.

Thats just crazy. Never really realized how dominant Pujols was.

25 minutes ago, lbjames6 said:

Acuña can't be in the 6th slot for much more than a few games. This guy needs to be at the top of the lineup.

That’s gonna be tough to do. Inciarte/Albies/Freeman pretty much locked in at the top 3. It’d be prefect to have Bautista come up batting cleanup, be useful, and Acuna bat 5th with Markakis slapping hits all over the place letting Acuna fly on the bases. 

6 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

That’s gonna be tough to do. Inciarte/Albies/Freeman pretty much locked in at the top 3. It’d be prefect to have Bautista come up batting cleanup, be useful, and Acuna bat 5th with Markakis slapping hits all over the place letting Acuna fly on the bases. 

Bautista bating 4th over Acuna is laughable. Bautista hit .203 last year and is on the wrong side of 30. He is lucky to even be starting on an MLB team. 

8 minutes ago, Willsea33 said:

Bautista bating 4th over Acuna is laughable. Bautista hit .203 last year and is on the wrong side of 30. He is lucky to even be starting on an MLB team. 

If Bautista hits like last year, then you said it, he won’t be playing period. But if he can hit even like 2016 then he would be an upgrade to what they’ve gotten from their cleanup hitter. The Braves may do it but putting a 20 year old in the cleanup spot would be uncommon. 

My my point was that there’s not much upward movement in the lineup for him, cleanup being the highest he’ll get anytime soon. 

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Dumb move, mlb needs to authenticate it otherwise it’s just some ball this guy has in his closet. 

I assume he did it to avoid the team team asking for it back but if he did just leave immediately he’s an idiot. 

For those that didn't see. The RBI double was a 1st pitch swing and was a weak pop up that landed in no mans land in RF. Fun game today but he really only hit the HR hard. I didn't see his "infield single" though. 

Kids got some baseballs, calls his shot then has Chuck Norris carry his bat back to the dugout. Jokes aside, let the legend of Acuna the tuna begin. Its going to get a lot hotter in Atlanta this year. 

Just now, Mexi1024 said:

For those that didn't see. The RBI double was a 1st pitch swing and was a weak pop up that landed in no mans land in RF. Fun game today but he really only hit the HR hard. I didn't see his "infield single" though. 

He had a warning track flyout today too and yesterday. He's been mashing it when he makes contact other than that bloop double.

Archived